Heads up Indiana

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally dont own a OWB but was thinkning of getting one instead of a fireplace insert.. but this state is so worried about crap that dosent even amount to a hill of beans that most people I know wish they could just pack up and move out of this state including myself...you cant do anything in this state with out some agency of some sort sticking there nose in and trying to get money off the ordeal or shutting it down all together...just another reason im moving when I can afford it...

I am just trying to figure out how I am going to install a 25 foot stack and keep it from blowing over and not getting hit by lightenin:monkey:g

Thankfully my closest neighbor is 1/4 mile away. Although I don't like restrictions there are several OWB owners out there that have no respect for neighbors and such. They give all of us a bad name. All you have to do is take a drive in the city and you will be amazed. I work for the phone company and the other day i was in a town and someone had their stack 18' high going right up under the cable on the poles. The stack was 12" away from cable. And yes it was bellowing soot and smelled of creosote bad. A little common sense goes a long way.

I personally dont own a OWB but was thinkning of getting one instead of a fireplace insert.. but this state is so worried about crap that dosent even amount to a hill of beans that most people I know wish they could just pack up and move out of this state including myself...you cant do anything in this state with out some agency of some sort sticking there nose in and trying to get money off the ordeal or shutting it down all together...just another reason im moving when I can afford it...

Um... Indiana is bad?!?! Have you lived other places? Indiana is one of the most "free" states going... We've still got BS, but so does everybody else, and most of them have more of it...

Mike

Um... Indiana is bad?!?! Have you lived other places? Indiana is one of the most "free" states going... We've still got BS, but so does everybody else, and most of them have more of it...

Mike

yeah your probablly right but I just get so fed up with some of the bologna that happens in the state, laws and what not that it just irks me..

:censored:

yeah your probablly right but I just get so fed up with some of the bologna that happens in the state, laws and what not that it just irks me..

:censored:

I totally get it, but this is very out of character for this state... I'd expect this in NY, NJ, WA, OR, etc... This is about the last place I'd expect it, except some state lawmaker probably has a neighbor who burns green wood all year round in his OWB, and instead of talking with him about it, tries to make a law to stop it...

Mike

You better get involved!

If you let it get out of control you'll be like us!

YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW what it's like to live in New England!!!!!!!!!!

Heck at least Indiana will let us legally carry a sidearm.. Try doing that in IL or WI

You can "carry" in Wisconsin if the sidearm is fully visible at all times.
Of course all the other restrictions apply like 1000' from schools, not in a tavern, etc.

Just a few weeks ago Doyle and his crew locked down the Capital because a rumor was floating around that there was going to be big "open carry" rally in Madison. :)

Town ordance.

The little town (pop. 424) that I live in has an ordinance that all OWB will have a 25' "well supported stack/chimney" and no burning from May 15 to Sept. 15.
Plus it has a stipulation that you cannot have any wood piles visible from the street during the summer months.
However, you can have a smoldering fire burning in your fire-pit all summer long day or night and spew forth all kinds of smoky crap all over the neighborhood! (Go figure.)

Hey, that's not all. We cannot have our grass over 6 inches long or the "Grass Police" will come around. We cannot have any "noxious" weeds, or the "Weed Police" will pay a visit. They tried removing any un-registered vehicles at one time, but the Village got in all kinds of trouble on that one for hauling away a "collector" car! In a nearby town if you park your car/truck on the grass you will receive a citation. On a side note, the "book of ordinances" in our little town is about 6 inches thick!!!!! (I hate small town politics!)

I'm really OK with individual towns having ordinances about OWBs, but a state law means that if you have a 2 story house and don't have a neighbor for 3 miles, you've still got to have a 30' tall chimney on the OWB...

You're right, though... I hardly smell my neighbors' wood stoves at all (and I'm up hill and east of most of them, and even then, it's a "good smoke" smell), but the one neighbor is too cheap to pay for trash service, so he burns everything all year round... paint cans, plastic bags, etc...

Mike

I'm really OK with individual towns having ordinances about OWBs, but a state law means that if you have a 2 story house and don't have a neighbor for 3 miles, you've still got to have a 30' tall chimney on the OWB...

You're right, though... I hardly smell my neighbors' wood stoves at all (and I'm up hill and east of most of them, and even then, it's a "good smoke" smell), but the one neighbor is too cheap to pay for trash service, so he burns everything all year round... paint cans, plastic bags, etc...

Mike

Have you contacted any elected officials? I doubt that any of your senators or representatives visit the AS. Have you been following any of the threads on Indiana OWBs?

Have you contacted any elected officials? I doubt that any of your senators or representatives visit the AS. Have you been following any of the threads on Indiana OWBs?

I don't have an OWB, so I'm not on that forum...

I found out about this yesterday from this thread...

Mike

One state Rep knows about this site. Called and gave them agood chunk of my mind.{did'nt have much there} Local running for state seat,thinking about stopping and having a talk kind like fighting fire with fire since its mid term elections.:deadhorse:

One state Rep knows about this site. Called and gave them agood chunk of my mind.{did'nt have much there} Local running for state seat,thinking about stopping and having a talk kind like fighting fire with fire since its mid term elections.:deadhorse:

What representative was it and what was their office #? We all need to voice our opposition to this in a professional manner.

Well, if you move to my neck of the woods, be sure to bring them Colts with ya. :)

Im sure they will come up with some permit or tax for burning wood peroid in the near future. The future of our country= nothing is free . It burns my a** when people say we live in a free country. Between health insurance, property insurance, truck insurance, and property taxes costs a guy 8k a year and thats cheap! But we got our great social security system and the average guy is lucky to get $1200 a month. My mom died at 55 and worked her whole life they sent dad a check for $250.00 ! What a joke . He almost sent it back with a letter telling them they could just keep it along with thousands of dollars they gave some deadbeat that dont wanna work! Sorry to get off topic LOL

Back