Heads up Indiana

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im sure they will come up with some permit or tax for burning wood peroid in the near future. The future of our country= nothing is free . It burns my a** when people say we live in a free country. Between health insurance, property insurance, truck insurance, and property taxes costs a guy 8k a year and thats cheap! But we got our great social security system and the average guy is lucky to get $1200 a month. My mom died at 55 and worked her whole life they sent dad a check for $250.00 ! What a joke . He almost sent it back with a letter telling them they could just keep it along with thousands of dollars they gave some deadbeat that dont wanna work! Sorry to get off topic LOL

Thats not even considering the indirect taxes that get passed on to you from businesses through higher prices on consumable goods and services. Big businesses dont pay their taxes, we do, one way or the other.

time to join the tea party people! time to take the country back, one goverment at a time. Start with your local goverments and work your way up. We just can lay down and take it, we have to fight back for are freedoms to be restored!

I like the last part of the article that says even with the higher stacks that she can still smell smoke. I sometimes smell skunk odors around my house, maybe the State of Indiana should outlaw them too !:cheers:

Representative Dodge spoke with Commissioner Thomas Easterly this week and he explained that IDEM has been receiving many complaints from Hoosiers that are neighbors of people operating Outdoor Hydronic Heaters. That is the reason that the department is looking into proposing new rules to regulate the emissions from these units. Rep. Dodge has been told that any rules that are adopted will only affect units installed AFTER the rules are adopted and all units in operation prior to that time will be exempt. Representative Dodge cannot stop the rule making process and would be willing to talk to you should you want him to offer legislation during the next session. I have attached a fact sheet that IDEM has put out.

Again, Representative Dodge would like to thank you for contacting him and he would be willing to meet with you when he returns home after session. If you have any further questions regarding this or other state issues, please do not hesitate to contact Representative Dodge's office.

Sincerely

I posted this previously. Also emailed Kruse and Stutzman but no replies. I called IDEM and talked to Susan Bem 1 800 451 6027. Anybody up to giving her a call and seeing how things are going?

Will existing units need to be registered? How else would they know to grandfather any systems? With dry seasoned wood these units aren't the smoke monsters may claim them to be.

Representative Dodge spoke with Commissioner Thomas Easterly this week and he explained that IDEM has been receiving many complaints from Hoosiers that are neighbors of people operating Outdoor Hydronic Heaters. That is the reason that the department is looking into proposing new rules to regulate the emissions from these units. Rep. Dodge has been told that any rules that are adopted will only affect units installed AFTER the rules are adopted and all units in operation prior to that time will be exempt. Representative Dodge cannot stop the rule making process and would be willing to talk to you should you want him to offer legislation during the next session. I have attached a fact sheet that IDEM has put out.

Again, Representative Dodge would like to thank you for contacting him and he would be willing to meet with you when he returns home after session. If you have any further questions regarding this or other state issues, please do not hesitate to contact Representative Dodge's office.

Sincerely

I posted this previously. Also emailed Kruse and Stutzman but no replies. I called IDEM and talked to Susan Bem 1 800 451 6027. Anybody up to giving her a call and seeing how things are going?

Will existing units need to be registered? How else would they know to grandfather any systems? With dry seasoned wood these units aren't the smoke monsters may claim them to be.

The draft I have somewhat disputes this - see page 3 - Summary of Proposed Requirements of the attached.

This legislation WOULD impact existing units.

The draft I have somewhat disputes this - see page 3 - Summary of Proposed Requirements of the attached.

This legislation WOULD impact existing units.

I recieved the reply on 2-24-2010, two days after IDEMs period for public comments ended.

Does anyone have any information that is more recent than the comments by Dodge???????????????

I recieved the reply on 2-24-2010, two days after IDEMs period for public comments ended.

Does anyone have any information that is more recent than the comments by Dodge???????????????

Often they'll say 1 thing, then say "oops, guess I misunderstood the legislation. I'm sorry. Too late now."

I can see this happening.

I got your voice mail message and thought it would be easiest to respond by email. The next step in the rulemaking process is to present the rule to the Air Pollution Control Board (APCB) for preliminary adoption. After preliminary adoption the proposed rule is published in the Indiana Register. There may or may not be a 21 day public comment period associated with publication of the proposed rule. This 3rd public comment period is based on changes between the draft rule language that was just out for public comment and what the APCB preliminarialy adopts. After the proposed rule is published it would then be taken back to the APCB for final adoption. Rules are not effective the day they are final adopted. They first must go through a legal review process with the Attorney General's office which can take 3-4 months.

At this time I do not have dates for the 2 public hearings/APCB meetings. At the earliest it would be early summer and fall. Therefore the rule would not be effective until at least the end of the year.

Once we know what the public hearing dates are we will get information out to interested people. The public hearing notice will also be published in the Indiana Register (http://www.in.gov/legislative/register/irtoc.htm) (LSA #05-332) and published in local newspapers.

The IDEM website for outdoor hydronic heaters/outdoor wood boilers is www.idem.IN.gov/6507.htm. We will also post updates regarding the rulemaking on this website.

Susan Bem
Indiana Dept. of Environmental Management
Office of Air Quality
317-233-5697
[email protected]

I'd like to add this comment

Current status 3-3-2010 on OWB issues------if it impacts you I'd advise making sure your elected officials are aware of it. I recommend you make it clear to them it will impact your economic well being and how you intend to spend your money in the future may not favor the state of Indiana.

Wrote my reps and the Governor himself.

Submitted all kinds of stuff to IDEM and anyone else that will listen.

Not sure who else but I would be more than happy to add them to my list of informed folks.

Thank you for your e-mail.

I understand Susan Bem in IDEM’s Office of Air Quality responded to a voice mail you left on March 3 and answered your questions (see attached).

Regarding your question about grandfathering existing units, not all the implementation issues have been worked through yet. The rule does not have a registration process for documenting existing units at this time. We will not know where all existing units are. For the most part, compliance with the rule would be complaint driven.

Thank you for using IDEM Online.

I received this reply from IDEM today. Makes me wonder if any wacko greenie can file a complaint and shut one down as a matter of principle?

At this time i sure wouldn't invest in a new OWB in Indiana. These rules will only get worse.

I rec'd a response from my State Sen. (Leising). She sent with her reply, some additional info from the Indiana Legislative Rural Caucus to IDEM.
That letter was supportive of OWB use and asked that IDEM reconsider some of their proposals. They suggested "an exemption on summer use of these units when located 150 feet or more from the nearest dwelling."
They also address the stack height issue and concerns by asking that "Section 4 of this regulation be placed on hold until this issue can be addressed" Issues were of costs and design to withstand winds.
I really appreciate Sen Leising's response and help. She's got my vote if she runs again !!

I rec'd a response from my State Sen. (Leising). She sent with her reply, some additional info from the Indiana Legislative Rural Caucus to IDEM.
That letter was supportive of OWB use and asked that IDEM reconsider some of their proposals. They suggested "an exemption on summer use of these units when located 150 feet or more from the nearest dwelling."
They also address the stack height issue and concerns by asking that "Section 4 of this regulation be placed on hold until this issue can be addressed" Issues were of costs and design to withstand winds.
I really appreciate Sen Leising's response and help. She's got my vote if she runs again !!

good thing you've heard something! I haven't even gotten an automated respoonse from mine.

bump

February 11, 2011 is the date for IDEM to decide on OWB rules. THIS EFFECTS EVERYONE WHO BURNS WOOD, NOT JUST OWB OWNERS!!!!! OWBs are just the easy targets for the groups that are pressuring IDEM and similar agencies to change the laws. Indoor woodstoves are next on their agenda. Do a google search on some of the organizations such as IKE, and you will see what I mean.

this is just another big oil and utility company's way to reclaim the money they are loosing by these heaters...the politicians dont get kick backs from you for every cord of wood you use....just another squeaky wheel wanting someones palm greased....owb's are a hot market, but utility companies loose big for there use...how much electric do you save? how much gas does it save? fuel oil furnaces getting replaced left and right with owb's..... politicians want money end of story...

Back