hearing and eye protection who uses it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlfan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm asking this,because my neighbor is having her tree cut down as I write this.Neither the climber nor his ground man is using ear plugs or muffs nor safety glasses.Furthormore the climber doesn't even have chaps on.Like my dad use to teach me.It doesn't matter how many years you get away without an accident.It's the one time that does matter.

I normally use it. Sometimes I`ll cheat on the hearing protection, but I`ve also got a 40db hearing loss in my left ear in the midrange frequencies.

Russ

I always wear good solid shoes, ear plugs, and really don't see much need for glasses, maybe I will pay for my obstinance one day...how much damage is a wood chip gonna do if it hits you in the eyeball? Not much IME. You will have hearing loss if you use a chainsaw without ear protection, particularly with any regularity, particularly big saws.

I've got it but don't always use it, most times I use boots and hearing protection and chaps on & off. Never use the helmet or screen and I know I should. Guilty !

Helmet w/ muffs and screen when running saw, screen up when running tractor, grapple or chipper. Will put the screen back down when feeding short angular stuff into chipper sometimes. I've worked with others who use nothing on a regular basis.

I always use helmet, w/ear Pads and screen. Chaps, leather gloves and a pair of good solid boots. At my advanced age, the biggest hazard now seems to be tripping over 'frog hair' when I am limbing a downed tree. So I have to drag that crap out on a regular basis, watch where I step, particularly when backing up and, plant both feet solid when running the saw. Course I can trip over a sidewalk going down the street sometimes too :) :)

If I am cutting timber, I always wear everything. At home to cut the end off of a 2x4 it is likely to stay in the truck.
When I was around a lot of different fallers everyone wore a hard hat and chaps. Very few wore eye or ear protection. None of the older guys could hear and I know of two different experienced fallers that had to be flown to town to have a sliver cut out of their eye ball. Most everyone kept a small mirror in their pack so you could dig the sawdust out of your own eye if it wasnt too bad. ;)

John

Most times I wear the full suit, including Helmet with face screen and ear muffs, padded leather gloves, chaps and solid boots. It depends on the work i'm doing but most times I'm wearing everything.

Justin

Eye protection always. Might just be a pair of safety glasses for one or two cuts.

Helmet with muffs and screen if I'm cutting for any length of time.

Prefer pants to chaps, chaps tend to catch brush etc. in the straps.

Gloves always, but not always "chainsaw" gloves.

I use the full helmet. earmuffs and screen visor (Peltor system). For the legs, protective chaps. Hands, well that depends... but more and more, heavy leather gloves.

I use all of the above. Always. Chaps in the yard and Labonville pads inside my pants when working timber. I'm not a climber, but I've read in forums that alot of them don't wear chaps while in trees. They should have eye and ear protection at a minimum, and a helmet if they're smart.

Jeff

Chainsaw safety

I wear glasses and I used to put in a couple of ear plugs and call it good. Partly because I was too cheap to buy the proper protection and partly because I was macho, young, and stupid.
I started reading on this site last year and I've made a couple of purchases that seem to make sense now that I've matured a bit. I now have a set of chaps and a good chainsaw helmet with a visor and ear muffs that I intend to wear whenever the chainsaw is being used.
I also have a nasty habit of anchoring small wood with my foot while making a cut, so I recently purchased an item called a Chainsaw Buddy and attached it to one of my saws in an attempt to break the habit.
With the price of medical attention these days, this seems to be a small price to pay for a little peace of mind.
I have now stepped off my soap box. :rolleyes:

Eh? What's that?

Trying to preserve what hearing I have left, because I used to know better than the experts. Well, and some Army experiences where ear protection was not used....

I wear it all now.

Those who don't will pay. Sooner or later.

safety glasses for a light job out in the open, helmet with muffs and screen for serious business. Don't use chaps myself, just heavy leather shoes. The hearing protection is a must, helps cut down on fatigue which can snowball into something more serious.

I wear eye protection, I don t use the ear protection, although I'm sure I should.
I will have to edit this to add I always where boots when cutting not shoes. I'm wanting to get a set of chaps as well this year, maybe santa will be generous.

Last edited:
So teh wood chips can really put a serious hurting on your eyes? I did not know...I guess I will wear safety glasses or at least my glasses. I try to wear a helmet when I fell or cut overhead limbs....I get lazy sometimes. Cut a tree for a fella a few years ago, the tree hit a screen of vines and doinked me on teh head, no damage, no concussion...no vistit to teh doc...someone up there was looking out for me

Chaps ,helmet w/screen front ,good boots and gloves,muffs built on to the helmet.Seen too many saw vs. operator contests.

Maybe a stupid question, but why would anyone need teh screen unless it was justa conveniencce thing along with teh helmet that you should be wearing when felling or climbing? Doesn't simple eye protection and ear plugs provide adequete protection?

Back