hearing and eye protection who uses it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earplugs are like Mastercard for me.....I don't leave home without them!
The foam type that roll into a cylinder and expand in the ear are my favorites. I have discovered that two of them nest perfectly inside a 20 ounce pop bottle cap and stay put when inside pants pockets, they are easy to keep track of this way.

Current eyes, ears, helmet, and gloves, Atlas rubber in a tree or bucket, leather mechanic type on the ground. Full face mesh on the helmet when stump grinding. Did not wear most of it for years, have lost some hearing, have a scar on my chin from a piece of wood shot out at warp 9 from a chuck-n-duck and a scar on my forhead from a dropped polesaw, guess I have been lucky.

I use ear plugs, gloves and pants. I have a pair of chaps but have only used them twice stihl keeps giving me goggles when I buy a saw but I never wear them. Some of the people I work with wear the helmet but I never have I am sure I will regreat not wearing chaps or a helment one of these days but I am hard headed.

i routinely wear eye and ear protection. don't have chainsaw gloves or boots, but i do wear leather gloves and timberlands. am going to pick up a helmet

ear plugs, regular glasses, decent gloves, steel toe boots. Sometimes I even stick on the chaps or pants if I am in some rough stuff. I have the brain bucket, but rarely use it.

-P

I sawed half way through my finger once with a skillsaw. I was being cheap and did not have the proper clamps to hold the piece of wood I was sawing.

I now have all the proper clamps, hearing, eye protection, etc.

I think I heard something about those who have been injured are the safest workers? I sure am.

I'm thinking about getting one of those stihl eurostyle safety helmets with clear vision, and ear muffs. Link...
http://www.stihlusa.com/apparel/protect_helmet.html

Helmet with muffs and screen, safety glasses (prescription so i can see to the end of the bar), steel toe work boots, leather gloves...no chaps yet but I think I'm going to get a pair. My neighbor cuts firewood in the summer wearing shorts and flip flops. But then my neighbor is an idiot.

Hearing loss is the most preventable disability there is so I don't start my saws without ear muffs. I wear glasses & gloves most of the time too. And if I'll be cutting for more than a few minutes, I'll also wear ear plugs and a respirator that takes care of particulates and emissions.

There's a chemical in two-stroke pre-mix that is a known cancer causer. Cancer scares me. Donning the respirator is a pain & I get those "what in the hell ya wearing that for" looks, but I hope to be minimizing my risk plus, I don't get headaches any more. Whilst on the subject, anyone else here wear a respirator?

Re: Wearing "Flip Flops" while cutting wood....

Accidents aside, doesn't the guy get splinters in his toes/feet?

rustyb said:
...Donning the respirator is a pain & I get those "what in the hell ya wearing that for" looks...

I could care less what other people think. I have allergies and will wear a respirator in the spring. It makes a world of difference.

I also stack hay sometimes, work on drywall, etc. You can bet I'll be wearing an "N95 rated" face mask to keep all that dust out.

Diesel JD said:
I always wear good solid shoes, ear plugs, and really don't see much need for glasses, maybe I will pay for my obstinance one day...how much damage is a wood chip gonna do if it hits you in the eyeball? Not much IME. You will have hearing loss if you use a chainsaw without ear protection, particularly with any regularity, particularly big saws.
I'll disagree with you here, diesel. I was cutting some splinters that were about 8-12" long from a stump hinge when I was 17, and one of the splinters got caught and was thrown directly into my eye. My eye bothered me for two years after that, and and it still does if I catch my eyelid and pull it just wrong. It will get irritated and swell up to where I can hardly see. Wood chips aren't the only thing that a saw throws.

I'm a big fan off the muff, ;) easy on easy off. Plugs are ok but not as convenient.
I always were eye protection most of the time yellow/orange shooting glasses, in the woods it can be a little dim from the canopy. the yellow tint really helps me out. Its to easy to have a tree your droping break a small limb and come right back at your eye or even hit the ground and send something back your way.
I normally wear work gloves, jersey gloves or sometimes leather gloves, but not necessarily because of any protection.
I used to always wear calf high logging boots. because it was the thing to do. Lately I have been wearing some ankle high hiking boots with a steel toe. I think the hiking boots make the most sense do to the grip and agility they provide.

no helmet
no chaps

the biggest thing in my mind about safety equipment is that it has to feel like its not there, if it isn't comfortable than you won't want to wear it.

Lucky
The biggest thing about any safety

Not wearing eye protection is worse than not wearing hearing protection. I learned my lesson when I had a piece of vitrified grinding wheel lodge into my eye. Every time I blinked it abbraded my cornia and hurt like hell for several weeks.

always wear chaps, glasses, gloves, good shoes.
should be wearing ear protection all the time.

I usually wear muffs, safety glasses, chaps, and steel toed boots. Rarely gloves, unless it's real cold out. If I'm firing up the saw for three seconds to cut a limb that's sticking or a 2x4 on a project, then just safety glasses.

I wear glasses, linemans boots and hardhat all the time. Chaps and foamies whenever the mood strikes, and that's not very often. Gloves, only on the coldest days. screen and muffs? No freaking way! It's funny no one has mentioned that stupid flap on the back of those stormtrooper helmets. Whenever I see a guy wearing one of those rediculous things, I'm reminded of the movie spaceballs!
-Ralph

Diesel JD said:
Maybe a stupid question, but why would anyone need teh screen unless it was justa conveniencce thing along with teh helmet that you should be wearing when felling or climbing? Doesn't simple eye protection and ear plugs provide adequete protection?

I wear screen mesh goggles and ear plugs with a separate helmet when felling, and one of those Peltor helmet/screen/muffs combos when bucking firewood in the yard. I feel the Peltor is too top heavy, cumbersome and in the way when working standing timber. I feel much more streamlined with the goggles and ear plugs. So to answer your question, I do like the screen, as it keeps stuff out of your mouth and keeps stuff from hitting your face, which I consider a convenience thing. I consider the eyes a necessity.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back