hearing and eye protection who uses it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always wear Stihl helmet with muffs and screen, glasses, boots. I wear leather gloves most of the time. I own chaps but regret to say I am not wearing them much. And that is after having nicked my knee with my 460 as it slowed to a stop.

Several posters mentioned something about pads or padded pants, what is that about?

You can get saw protective pads that slide inside and fasten into jeans, or other similar pants, and you can also get purpose built pants with the saw protection sewn into them. These you wear as you would normal pants, although you usually have a set of suspenders on them to help keep them up and from moving around while working.

Dogs wear your glasses. Use your helmet always. I stupidly stabbed my eye with stubs three freakin times in three freakin weeks. Idiot, super embarrassed , bad moment. God was trying to tell me. 1st time was poion oak right in the eye. 2nd Stab in the tree. 3rd Chipping. PPE is the way to be.
Bodean

I am a weekend wood warrior and have been using leather gloves and eye protection (after a wicked little bastard chip got in my eye. Thought it was out until later that night. It really scratched the hell out of my eye but after a day of tripple anti biotic ointment in the eye it finally got better). Anyway I just ordered some loggers helmets which have screens and hearing protection. My son and I will wear these new items when cutting wood. I didnt realize how loud the saws were until I was trying to call to my son when he was bucking a tree to stop for a bit. He could not hear me 15 feet away. I dont wont him going deaf so I got the loggers helmets. Chaps are our next items along with steel toe boots. I know it seems alot for a couple of firewood getters but I figure I might as well learn something from my eye accident and I should have always had this gear for my son. At least he knows how to properly start a chain saw.

Arboristsite MVP

Quote:
Now see, that is the "California crap" I refer too. It's a generalization. That Yellowstone story was such a load of BS it beyond Pathetic. It was a bunch of tree hugging idiots "playing victim" in order to advance their cause. They just want snowmobiles out of the park. They will lie and do anything to make it happen. I could go on for pages on the Yellowstone story. Go to the park ANY winter day with sleds around, and I GUARANTEE you, you will NOT see one park ranger with a gas mask. I know, I've been there.

Neverenough is spot on. I have been to the park also and the snowmobile ban thing was the product of the Klinton admiistration throwing a bone to its supporters in the radical enviro movement.

Alot of things cause cancer, including the ingrediants in gasoline and oil. Are some of these carcinagins ingested while operating a saw? Maybe, but I dont see sawyers and arbos developing lung cancer left and right. Heck, bar-b-Q'ing meat causes the ingestion of carcinigins also, but I am not about to stop.

My Grandfather used a saw of one type or another most of his life. I would guess for at least 20 years or whenever they came out with a 2 stroke gas engines he had one of those too. My point is he had been around that 2 stroke smoke for at least 20 years and he never evr had cancer! What a crock of ???? these Wackos come up with. BUT I must say its our own dam faults. WE NEVER ROCK THE BOAT. YAH WE GET MAD WHEN STUPID CRAP COMES UP BUT WE NEVER REALLY DO ANYTHING TO STOP IT. FIRST ITS THE SNOW MOBILES THEN IT WILL BE OUR SAWS. HELL EVEN STIHL IS STARTING FEEL THE EFFECT. THE NEXT SERIES IN SAWS WILL HAVE LESS POWER AND WEIGHT A BUNCH MORE. THANKS TO US. YAH THE WHACKOS STARTED IT BUT WE SHOULD HAVE PUT THEM IN THE GROUND ALONG WITH THEIR LIES. My 2 cents.

safety or sun glasses, gloves, ear plugs w/ sometimes muffs, and chaps always. sometimes helmet depending on whats overhead. a friend of my uncle was killed by a falling limb (2-3" diameter) some 25 yrs ago. he felled n bucked a yard tree, with helmet, and returned his big saw to the truck and returned w/ smaller saw, w/o helmet, for trimming probably 10 minutes after felling. the limb hit him n the head and he was disconnected from life support a week later.

cant be too safe!!!!

Last edited:
First off, thanks PBtree, Newfie...........& MrBrushcutter!

And Bwalker,.......

Neverenough is spot on. I have been to the park also and the snowmobile ban thing was the product of the Klinton admiistration throwing a bone to its supporters in the radical enviro movement.

....you surprise me here,......but when I think back, perhaps not. :rolleyes: At any rate, aren't you getting off topic? Are you trying to divert the real issue here (two-stroke emissions) with the "right wingers" VS "left wingers"?? Who gives a rats butt where the info is coming from or who says what. This isn't a football game where we all pound our chests when the favorite team scores. The facts are facts and they remain the same: two-stroke emissions are bad to be breathing and for one who's interested in minimizing their exposure, donning a respirator is not a bad idea. As far as I can tell, that isn't rocket science, .......nor does it make one a "radical" something or other.

Alot of things cause cancer, including the ingrediants in gasoline and oil. Are some of these carcinagins ingested while operating a saw? Maybe, but I dont see sawyers and arbos developing lung cancer left and right. Heck, bar-b-Q'ing meat causes the ingestion of carcinigins also, but I am not about to stop.

It's not about ingesting but rather inhaling. And is it proof to you that two-stroke emissions are as safe as mothers milk just because YOU personally don't see the problems? There are more reasons not to expose ones self to this stuff then just simple ol' cancer.

MrBrushcutter,......

Bottom line with this i think yes it probally is bad for you but its unfair to single it out as a single cause -

....I'm not singling out one single cause of cancer....or any other health issue related to two-stroke emissions. Reread my second post on this topic. I'm talking about a cumulative effect of varying chemicals in ones body. There are NO studies (how could it be studied any way with the billion varibles???) showing what long term effects all this crap in combination has on our systems. But, it's easy to look at the numbers, the rate of incidence and the known culprits of cancer, amongst other health issues, and realize that there is no pretty picture to be painted.

And just speaking to the general audience here, I know there is no way to eliminate ones exposure to all the varying bad crap that can get into our system. But I also know there are hundreds of ways to minimize just how much gets in. And that's what I'm talking about here: minimizing.

I'm not preaching that anyone don a respirator while sawing but rather pointing out what has been found in numerous studies and posing the question why more aren't concerned. I just don't fully understand the sensitivity and defensiveness with a few of the responses.

To those who don't believe that the Yellowstone Park officials wear/wore respirators, do a search. It is well documented. A buddy of mine also witnessed it while visiting not too many years ago.

Also, here's a link to some emissions studies done in Yellowstone.

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...+snowmobile+respirator&hl=en&client=firefox-a

Remember folks, we are talking about the effects of two-stroke emissions here, not why snowmobiles should or shouldn't be allowed in the park.

And lastly, Wescoman,....uhhh,....what "lies" are you referring to? I could have missed something along the way.......

Last edited:
I'm new to this site and I've been checking things out and I thought that this is a good question. I have been dealt the hard card since I was a child with progressivly worsening hearing. Let me tell all those who are reading, It is not fun!! with profound loss (95% left, 60% right) Ear muffs are definatly cheaper than Hearing Aids. I'm currently looking at a new one and I am looking a a hefty price between $3500 and $4000 for that one!! Also don't forget the price of missing out on a lot of good conversations. I strongly recomend hearing protection.

Bio chain oil should wear gloves when handling that because its rotting plant matter if it gets into the blood stream it can cause septicemia.

To the best of my knowledge, health issues related to bio based bar/chain lubes are only seen with products using rapeseed oil which, has a higher concentration of erucic acid than that of its genitically modified cousin, canola. To date, the only bio based bar/chain lube I have used is canola and have experienced no obvious health problems.....even working around it with no gloves and open wounds.

rustyb said:
To the best of my knowledge, health issues related to bio based bar/chain lubes are only seen with products using rapeseed oil which, has a higher concentration of erucic acid than that of its genitically modified cousin, canola. To date, the only bio based bar/chain lube I have used is canola and have experienced no obvious health problems.....even working around it with no gloves and open wounds.

Didn't know it was a certan type of oil the STIHL guy seemed to imply that it was all bio oils. Since its basicly rotting plant matter the theory is that if it gets into the blood stream it *could* give you septicemia. Chances are slim i would expect i've not had any problems with it.

The Trouble With The Screen Is I Have A Hard Time Seeing Thru It On Cloudy Days. I Always Wear A Helmet W/ear Muffs As Well As Leather Gloves.

Protection

I always wear helmet, face screen, and ear muffs along with chaps and steel toed boots. Leather gloves most of the time. Every time I'm tempted to cut without chaps, I think of how dumb I would feel if I received a serious cut.

Jerry.

I Do

Jerry Bratten said:
I always wear helmet, face screen, and ear muffs along with chaps and steel toed boots. Leather gloves most of the time. Every time I'm tempted to cut without chaps, I think of how dumb I would feel if I received a serious cut.

Jerry.

I always wear my kevlar chaps,gloves and helmet with face screen,my glasses under, ear muffs and steel toed loggers boots.Plus my wild ass heavy weight(Double on top of the legs) jeans under the chaps.

Since there are a fair amount of noob's that read the site, I think that it would be beneficial for them if folks would list the things that could happen, that the PPE protects you from.

Saftey glasses and hearing protection should be obvious. But the reasons for chaps, steel toe boots, gloves etc. might help convince them of the need for them.

I wear gloves, boots, pants, and ear protection when Im running saws. I have a pair of chaps but they are a pain to wear so I just wear pants.

rustyb said:
Interesting thread,........mostly in the sense that I only got one response when I asked if anyone else wore a respirator. And that individual wears one due to his allergies.

I can't help but wonder why more folks aren't concerned with inhaling something (two stroke emissions) that is known to cause cancer......especially the pros.....the guys that cut day-in and day-out. Is it because the dangers aren't immediate like a chain to the knee or stick in the eye? If it appears I'm trying to be some kind of ass here, I'm not. I'm 100% serious and genuinely curious.

C'mon guys. I can't be the only one here that is concerned with the long term effects of breathing exhaust.

Why shouldn't a respirator be every bit as important as a pair of glasses or ear muffs or chaps?

If you are not eating 100% organic than you are at pleanty risk of cancer along with everything else we smell, eat and breath. It seems that anything and everything causes cancer these days. I choose to wear full PPE, helmet, muffs, screen, chaps, gloves, steel toe boots. I will not live my life in fear of cancer.

Doug

jokers said:
Like this?
DoYoumeanlikethis.jpg

You will note that I am atleast wearing sandles with secure straps for sure footing. :D

I don`t recommend anyone else follow my lead on this particular example, but on the other hand, those of you who are relying on full length jeans and sturdy shoes to protect yourselves are enjoying a false security. Layers of clothing are cut so readily that most guys don`t even notice they`ve nicked themselves and leather boots cut easier than wood. Ask Stihl Magnum. He bucked into his foot wearing name brand steel toe loggers.

Good work practices with emphasis on a clear mind and situational awareness are your most valuable ppe. All the fancy nylon, kevlar, and steel clothing in the world can`t protect a careless or distracted person.

Russ

If I was wearing those 10/29 I wouldn't have my left big toe today. I was working a limb on the ground and the tip of the saw got me as it kicked. Cut thru my leather shoes and got enough of my toe to cut the tendon that picks the toe up. After a trip thru the OR I am now hobling on crutches. I fully believe the leather offered enough protection to stop the chain from taking my big toe off. I feel very fortunate that it didn't and missed the other toes completely.

Back