Hearing Protection w/bluetooth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I spend quite a bit of time operating saws, mowing or operating equipment wearing over the ear muffs. I'm in the office for my 40, and if they had good quality they could be used there too.

Anyone using over the ear muffs like this that they like?

I spend quite a bit of time operating saws, mowing or operating equipment wearing over the ear muffs. I'm in the office for my 40, and if they had good quality they could be used there too.

Anyone using over the ear muffs like this that they like?
/
I cut grass 8 hrs a day and have a set of Vankyo ear buds ($50) and use a cheap set of ear muffs to keep them in my ears,, you can find all other kinds on amazon.

I have the Worktunes without the radio feature. Love them. Depending on what you're doing though, you won't be able to hear the music. I use mine most when I'm running my splitter, which is quiet compared to most (three point PTO powered). Over a chainsaw or most mowers, I think you'd really have to crank up the volume, probably to an unsafe level. Earbuds under the highest NRR muffs you can find would probably be the best option for louder equipment. I do love the button on the side of my Worktunes though for pause /unpause. Can't do that with buds under earmuffs.

I have the am/fm worktunes (3M) and they are great, good volume and good reception. Also have the bluetooth version with radio but the reception isn't as good. To be honest I have not tried the bluetooth out so not sure how good that is. They also make them with bluetooth only, no built in radio. I use them for all mowing, weed wacking, chainsaw / splitter work and very satisified with hearing protection and comfort.

I have the am/fm worktunes (3M) and they are great, good volume and good reception. Also have the bluetooth version with radio but the reception isn't as good. To be honest I have not tried the bluetooth out so not sure how good that is. They also make them with bluetooth only, no built in radio. I use them for all mowing, weed wacking, chainsaw / splitter work and very satisified with hearing protection and comfort.
I have tried the work tunes but seem heavy. Maybe I'll try the bluetooth version.

I have the Bluetooth only work tunes. Love them. Even use them when I’m not listening to anything. My son had the radio model. Antennae kept catching on things and they are a lot heavier. He now has a Bluetooth only pair like mine. Only thing the BT one is missing is a volume control. It’s annoying to have to dig out the phone to increase or decrease volume when changing from running equip to not. I often leave the phone in the jacket on the tractor so doubly inconvenient.

Sound quality is good, mic works well for phone calls, range is adequate although I would prefer I could stray further away from the tractor. Battery life is excellent. Pairing works well and is not temperamental like some BT devices.

I also use a pair of cheap wireless earbuds under my chainsaw helmet muffs as a cutting option. More noise protection that way, but poor sound, less range, less battery life. But they were super cheap and get it done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lots of good suggestions and it's super interesting to see what people's solutions are.

I keep stacking on expectations for what I think I need and ending up with earplug/bud type ones even though traditionally I don't like ear plugs because they normally don't fit me at all. The reviews on earplug units can be great or bad depending on fitment, but these seem to have the most consistent good reviews for the money. Also like the Isotunes one Choppy posted.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N98QPKD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_B6MTFX6FWEBRK5SGKT2K
i

SO I used the Ruckus Discord plug phones for about 6 months. Loved them... But they weren't perfect.

Wore them everywhere, could take calls on them and they were visible so people knew you were on the phone (vs hidden buds). Excellent replacement for handsfree/bluetooth in the truck. Used in the office every day for music and calls. The sound quality was pretty lacking unless jammed halfway into your brain, but acceptable. I also wish they had a noise cancelling feature. I have an OLD set of noise cancelling earbud headphones and they are literally the best thing I have found for my tinnitus if I just have to worl or relax and think with no music. Stops teeth grinding ADD etc.

You COULD use the Discord plug phones under muffs for weedeating or tractor work, but the positioning of the wire and the plug had to be perfect under the muff, but was usually pretty uncomfortable or plugged one ear. A perfect application would be different routing of the wires instead of straight out. ISO tunes and Elgin also have ones that have this design.

If I wasn't using them, aka picking up firewood or digging holes, and had them under my coat, they tended to slip off to one side and fall off which caused me to lose them somewhere. I would not hesitate to buy them again but I'm shopping for something better, perhaps.

I use the worktunes with radio and bluetooth. One thing about them, not sure if there is something wrong with them but I don't hear any notification when I get a text or voicemail when they are connected to my phone. It will let me know when I get a phonecall, just not a text or voicemall. Unless it does and I just don't hear it over the radio.

I have a pair of the Dison ear muffs from Amazon, can't beat the price at under $40, currently $32. Sustaining a call can be tough for the folk on the other end until I turn off the equipment or step away from it.
I have 4X Sena motorcycle headsets. I glued 2 of them onto Peltor ear muffs (way cheaper than buying their Tufftalk earmuffs) and mounted the other 2 on chainsaw helmets. They are unbelievable, I can two way talk with the other headsets, listen to music, make calls all while working, mowing, chipping, running a chainsaw.

LG tone under husky muffs. 1201211408_HDR-1.jpg
Light weight, buttons around your neck for access, great hearing protection, good sound quality, and the ability to use either independent of each other. Have been using this setup for over 4 years. (Different headsets as they wear out)

1641828250402.png

Got these as a Christmas present to myself, after losing the 60 dollar Elgin Ruckus phones below.
1641828316188.png
For thirty extra bucks, you get: the same lackluster bass-absent sound quality, less battery life, ear plugs that don't fit in your ears any better than the first set. Buttons harder to use. Charging indicator that doesn't work to tell you when it's charged.
The hooks force the buds out of my ears. If I'm not using them, they don't "hang" as well and get tangled up or if I'm lifting they get smashed. If I need to pop a bud out to take a call on the headset in the office, the hook makes it difficult.
Under ear muffs, where I thought they would excel, they SORT of work better than the Ruckus but the terrible ear plug design does not work with my ears at all and they force out. This is the only area that I would use these in. I would have been very happy to replace the original set of Ruckus phones 90% of my use.

Back