Hearing protection - what do ya all wear?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyb

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Another thread combined with watching some local tree service folks not use anything, got me to thinking about this. I wear both plugs (orange rubber kind) and earmuffs and still don't feel like it's enough at times. And that's only with a little 260 that had the muffler opened a bit! Perhaps my ears are sensitive but I can't imagine only wearing one or the other much less nothing at all.

So, out of curiousity, what's everyone using?

I wear the hardhat with visor and earmuffs. When I snap the earmuffs into position, it quiets things down just fine.

Years ago I wore no ear protection. BIG mistake. Then I started using ear plugs which I found more hassle than useful. Now I have two pairs of ear-muffs: a $4 set and a $8 set. Both are adequate if not the highest quality. I grab whichever is handier. I cannot stand running a saw without ear protection today. A lot of so-called music rubs me the wrong way too, esp. brassy horn fanfare and loud jitterbuggy jazz. I suspect some hearing damage from running saws and shooting guns.

http://www.atthecreation.com/

I use EAR Classic foam plugs, and/or Stihl orange muffs. The foamies are good for about anything, and are rated to NRR 29. I get them from Sherrill item 15710.

I rarely use the muffs anymore, I keep a pair or 2 of foamies in my pocket, and I require anyone that is running a saw to where them, except for say cutting a limb, where the saw is only running for under 5 sec. I normally keep one side in while we are cleanin up, so I can pop in the other one and get to work. I leave them in most of the time. It is cool to hear your heart pumping blood and your lungs dragging air. Gives me something to think about while workin.

Hearing is too precious to be lost!

After years of shooting hundreds of thousands rounds of ammo I can say I never shot without hearing protection. Today I hate the sound of a vacum cleaner with out earplugs.

I use the molded earplugs

Optime III is a super-muff, and has been developed for use in extremely noisy environmentsPLUGS these will need to fitted for you. well worth the 100 bucks. I have a few pairs so I can keep them with me al all times. If you like foam which I do these are good http://www.earinc.com/p1-foam.php I buy these by the case loads from Gemplers

Now for my earmuffs that I also wear when opperating my saws, shooting I wear Optime III made by www.Peltor.se by wearing plugs and muffs you will cut down on the virbation sound also. If anything I feel you should at least wear plugs. But it's your choice.

I believe Rocky is back today from exile so he can smack us all into shape.

The yellow or green Peltors are the best, but use plugs causously. They can lead to hearing loss by driving in foreign stuff, like wax, dust and wodchips etc.
John

I have learned to keep several packs of ear plugs in different locations, in the truck, tool bucket, and the pocket on my chaps. That way I am not tempted to run without them because they are not handy. I have been thinking about adding a set of muffs or a hard hat with the muffs to the line up. Sometimes it does seem that the plug don’t do quiet enough when I am doing a lot of cutting.

After years of shooting hundreds of thousands rounds of ammo I can say I never shot without hearing protection. Today I hate the sound of a vacum cleaner with out earplugs.
That sounds awful familur. Last night the sound of the celing fan in my room was driving my nuts. Not to mention the fact that my ears will start ringing for no reason. On the up side I can always blame not listening to my wife on shooters ear.:D

I go through an anual hearing conservation program where I work. The nurse, like Gypo, said to make sure sure the plugs are clean and not full of dust/dirt when putting back in after cutting. The foam plugs you roll and they expand to fit your cannal are good. I also use the kind that are rubber and you just stick them in. Not quite as good but easier (I know not an issue to take lightly). I am thinking about switching to muffs. Good protection and easy to use if you need to hear what someone is saying in between cuts. With muffs, you have to make sure you get a good seal around your safety glasses. You are wearing your safety glasses right?:cool:

Doug

maxcam i sympathise on the music. i got an 15 yr old daughter.. i have to stay in my end of the house when shes home.
some that stuff ought be reported to the epa.:D :) instead, i just took an evening job. got tired of being cooped up.and that really is one of the reasons.

huh?

lol

I use a hard hat with ear muffs.
If im just skidding logs or bucking I wear my muffs with the radio in them..
Depends on where im at, sometimes no reception..

Lamebert there is one cure for that "Candling" I know it is crazy but it works. Try it out you can get the candles at a health food store.

The removal of ear wax is only a minor part of ear candling, in fact, rarely is any ear wax extracted at all. Ear wax is essential to our well-being. It acts as a shock absorber for sound waves, and along with the hair in our ears, it stops dust particles and foreign material that might pierce the ear drum. It is when we have wax build up caused by noise, pollution, dust, etc.; however, that is when problems can arise.

The process that allows the ear candles to work is the base of an ear candle is gently inserted a fraction of an inch into the outer ear canal then the tip of the ear candle is lit. The process is not painful; in fact some people find the process so relaxing that they tend to fall asleep during the candling process.

Therapeutic Benefits of Ear Candling;
• Circulation of disinfecting substances.
• Stimulation of the reflex zones and the energy points in the massage by energizing substances.
• Softening of the plugs of cerumen (wax).
• Hearing becomes sharper.
• Sinuses are able to drain and flow freely reducing pressure.
• Drying of the ear drum area.
• Balance and rejuvenation of the equilibrium (inner ear).

Ear candling is not a new alternative therapy to this day and age. Ear candling or as some call it, “ear coning” dates as far back as 2500 B.C. Even King Tut and his Egyptian contemporaries had the right idea when they practiced ear candling thousands of years ago- as did the people of China, Tibet, and other ancient cultures. The same was true of the New World, where the Aztecs, Incas, and Mayans all used “cones” in their religious ceremonies. Native Americans used ear candling for therapeutic as well as spiritual reasons. Even today some health care providers and spas do practice ear candling. Ear candling is thought by some that it has profound metaphysical implications.

Indications that Ear Candles may be beneficial to you or your family:
• Hearing loss caused by presence of secretions that block functioning, as in cases of rhinitis, sinusitis, and otitis.
• Ringing in the ears, buzzing caused by the presence of fluid.
• Excess of cerumen (wax).
• Slow lymphatic circulation.
• Irritation of the ear and of the sinus.
• Pain in the ear, or in the inner ear.
• Chronic Sinusitis.
• Stress and irritability brought on by loud noises.
• Nerve or hearing loss.
• Poor balance, due to an off balance equilibrium (inner ear).
• Circulation problems in the ear.
• Excessive itching of the ears.

I researched that when I first heard about it. Its malarky, from what I've read.
That reminds me of a guy that would wear copper whenever he got poison ivy... he said it worked. ;)

MB they have been doing it for years and I first heard about it from my friend who was 92 he swore by it. As he got older he felt it helped him with his balance. For what it's worth. Try it once.

The ear candles work I have used them for years......... If it were me though I would waterpik my ears first then use the candles every three or four months to keep them clean. I cut alot of timber and my ears get really dirty I bought a waterpik to keep my ears clean. But I still use the candles every chance I get.............Just take a paper plate and cut a slit in the middle and slide the cone through into your ear............ lay on your side on the couch have the wife torch it off........... watch some chapelle............ let it burn down to about 2 inches above your ear blow it out................then check out all the nasty trash you pulled out of your ear.............it's gross................Wade

I use a Stihl hardhat with Peltor visor and green Peltor muffs I never could wear ear plugs I use it for chainsaw or brush cutter I have a pair of standard head band Peltor green.

I always use ear protection I have had my hearing checked and I lossed some of my hearing from working with heavy equipment from not wearing ear protection in the earlier years I'am 27 now.

My ears actually start ringing if I don't use muffs when running my saws its worse with the FS-85. I even wear muffs when using a lawn mower listening to a constant noise isn't good for your ears.

I was working for a excavation contractor running a vibertory compactor with 4/53 power I ran the machine for 20 mins without muffs my ears were killing me. I went and got my green peltors all was fine I should have known better.

Back in my power plant days I'd go through a couple or few pair of the compressible foam plugs every shift.  Rolling them tight before inserting them allows you to stick them in without any friction or chance of pushing anything else in.  Then they expand and when you pull them out, they pull a little bit of wax with them.  My ears never needed any wax-removal attention during that time.

I now either use them while hard-hatted, or a pair of muffs my brother had to wear while working on the flight line in the Air Force (and which he graciously gave me when he "retired") while bucking.

Glen

Back