Hearing Protection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THE ONLY PPE NEEDED!!!!!
Peltor ear protection with IPOD (loaded with Hank JR.)
I know the PPE police are coming!

attachment.php

That's funny right there.

Screw the PPE police. It's a personal choice, and those police officers have neither jurisdiction nor legislation to back them up.

Oh, BTW, that's piss poor PPE in the pic! :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

That's funny right there.

Screw the PPE police. It's a personal choice, and those police officers have neither jurisdiction nor legislation to back them up.

Oh, BTW, that's piss poor PPE in the pic! :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Freakin hot lately! And the bride wants them wood stanchions filled!!! LOL!!!!

I don't see your flask?!?!? You are not opporating that saw properly... :hmm3grin2orange:

Ya your right! Operator error!!! LOL!!!

Both you guys are always welcome to the fridge at my place!!!!!!!

There has been some serious research recently reported that clearly demonstrated that most ear plugs are in practice not as effective as muffs. To be as effective as claimed, ear plugs have to be fitted by professionally experienced audiologists or someone that really knows how they should fit. It is almost impossible to fit them to yourself. At most, earplugs should be used in conjunction with ear muffs.

I'm legally deaf and to protect what little hearing I have left I researched to find the best available muffs. I used Peltor 10HA or B which have the same specs as the Optime range. And I back these up with earplugs.

I have a pretty pronounced hearing loss from a combination of genetics and exposure to loud noise.

When I am running saws, I like my Peltor ear muffs, not sure which model they are or the noise reduciton they offer but I really like them. Frankly, I don't care if they are hot since the noise reduction makes running the saw much less tiring.

For work (not saw related) I have the 3M ear muffs that attach to my hard hat, I don't think they offer any where near the protection as the Peltor model I have.

attachment.php

I normally wear my chaps as well. I have never had a serious contact but a few little nicks, and several burns and cuts from the McCulloch mufflers and flywheel covers on the really old saws. Since I am not as tough as I used to be, I normally wear gloves as well to give my hands a little protection.

Mark

When I am running saws, I like my Peltor ear muffs, not sure which model they are or the noise reduciton they offer but I really like them. Frankly, I don't care if they are hot since the noise reduction makes running the saw much less tiring.
Mark

Those look like Peltor Optime III`s
I too have a pretty pronounced hearing loss from a combination of genetics and exposure to loud noise.( Jets/turbo props,and of course the warden).

I know this thread has veered off the OP's main question, (which is fine by me) and this may seem not to fit into the "flow" of this thread, but I am more fortunate than some and haven't sustained as much hearing damage as other people my age.
I find the peltor ear muffs and the like to be Ok on colder days, but too hot to wear this time of year, also the "in the Ear" style hearing protectors become too uncomfortable with time, so I've found what I feel to be best:
photo

(I like the ones on the left), They're the most comfortable hearing protector I've found and can be worn for hours with no discomfort.

Last edited:
Peltor H10P3E's mounted on a generic hard hat.

I went for the Peltor's as a supplier stocked them for a reasonable price and Bob had posted some excellent data on nose suppression including charts on the H10 around the same time.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm leaning towards the Peltor's. Does anyone use the Stihl or Oregon muff/faceshield? Just wondering how the noise level is on them?

We used Gripo's for years...there cheap and work pretty well...

This year we popped for Rockmans...and WOW...they are the stuff!
The muffs are top notch, they really cut down the saw noise (kinda nice when our herd includes modded 066s, 660s and and ported and muff-modded 880)...the muffs are super comfortable and still allow conversations.

Plus I love the visor feature...so you don't have to wear glasses too, which will get in the way of the muffs. By far the best forestry helmets we have ever had...:cheers:

Last edited:
Any one tried the electronic shooting style ear muffs? I was thinking they might work well... and allow conversations to be had...

Shooters muffs are very good but are more specifically designed specifically for sound frequencies emitted by gunshots. A more broad spectrum muff is better for chainsaw use. This is why the Peltor Optime or 10H series muffs are better.

THE ONLY PPE NEEDED!!!!!
Peltor ear protection with IPOD (loaded with Hank JR.)
I know the PPE police are coming!

attachment.php
Good thread. I use the peltor muffs sans helmut. Just bought a new pair. I'll see if I can get a year out of them. At least the mosquitoes can't bite your ears.
John

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm leaning towards the Peltor's. Does anyone use the Stihl or Oregon muff/faceshield? Just wondering how the noise level is on them?

The Stihl combo helmet is what I use. I use it weather bucking or felling. It's just easy to put on, and my eyes/face are covered as well. The muffs work so well, I usually have to lift one up or not put them down when starting a cold saw. I've missed the pop before, and it got ugly!

Back