Hearth pad, or cement block for wood stove install?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEKS Tree Svc

I get up there
Reaction score
I have a quick question, instead of building a base to place a hearth pad on, could i just use cinder blocks, or solid cement blocks, and not burn my home down? Just a quick question, as I am trying to save money. Things are tight with the truck brokedown and no firewood going out, any help is appreciated. Just wanted to ask those with many more years of wood burning experience than me, being 32. Just moved into a different home with no wood stove, so the install will happen soon. Thought I would ask you pros if i can use cinder/cement instead of hearth pad.....Would you feel safe, or have you done the same? Thanks.

I have a 3/4 sheet of ply wood ripped in half screwed together. I took it to a local roof metal shop and they wrapped it in roofing metal for 12 bucks or so

air gap hearth would be safest cheap way imo. you gonna use SS chimney?
Okay thanks, have double wall pipe thats going to go out a window unit since this is a 2 yr house before we move back to the country, then the pipe will be secured to the roof obviously. I plan on at least 2 ft above the top of the roof if i can safely secure it, 3 if possible.

I'm unsure why you need to make a base under a hearth pad, or are you just attempting to eliminate the pad itself?

Block would be fine, but I'd want them all mortared together for 0 chance of a hot ember getting through to the floor.

Mine's on concrete floor in the basement, I haven't been able to catch it on fire yet :D

I'm unsure why you need to make a base under a hearth pad, or are you just attempting to eliminate the pad itself?

Block would be fine, but I'd want them all mortared together for 0 chance of a hot ember getting through to the floor.

Mine's on concrete floor in the basement, I haven't been able to catch it on fire yet :D
The embers is what i was worried about, i haven't done any mortar work before, but couldn't be too hard i would think. Im trying to figure what would be more affordable, block or hearth pad. Some of the pads are $100-$200 plus, Ace Hardware has one for $50, but not sure about quality.

Why would you want an air gap....
As a kid, our stoves were always on a 2x4 base, and a hearth pad on top, i did the same also just to keep under the pad cool w/ airflow. If I skipped the hearth pad if block would work, i was thinking lay the blocks flat side up so there was air flow thru them, to help keep them cool. I know over time they break down, i just didnt know if heat would speed that up or not.

depends on how you build it but mostly so cool air can get behind the wall protection.
cement backer board can be used with proper support and can be covered with tile or thin brick for looks.

It should only get warm.I'm more worked about the random pop of sparks that sometimes:blob2: let loose when you open the stove

depends on how you build it but mostly so cool air can get behind the wall protection.
cement backer board can be used with proper support and can be covered with tile or thin brick for looks.
alright thanks, some cement back board will work fine for the wall, one stove has a heat sheild on the back already, so on the wall i wouldn't think it would need to much, the other stove is just the old school wood long and skinny. Gonna use one for the house and one for the shop.

Back