Hearth pad, or cement block for wood stove install?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It should only get warm.I'm more worked about the random pop of sparks that sometimes:blob2: let loose when you open the stove
when you fill it full of hedge, what did you think would happen :chop:hahahahaha im gonna be very careful about that too, smoke detectors are all getting new batteries, fire extinguisher will be in each bedroom, etc. I guess i should have mentioned this is my first stove install in a mobile home, yea i know the EPA says none of the new ones are for mobile home use, but screw those guys, mobile homes all over have stove pipes coming out the roof, and im getting the window install kit to be extra safe, no holes in this roof since we are only here 2 yrs max while i save up for my bucket truck, grapple truck, chipper, etc. im going big this year.

prolly more than you want to do now but mebbe give ya some ideas. it is 2" box tube with 1/8 sheet tacked on and 1/2 backer board screwed on. one of these days i'll finish it with thin brick.

prolly more than you want to do now but mebbe give ya some ideas. it is 2" box tube with 1/8 sheet tacked on and 1/2 backer board screwed on. one of these days i'll finish it with thin brick.
that will look good with some tile on it, that cement board more affordable than hearth pad? I know that 2 inch isnt ahhhahaha, but i think some 2x's or 4x's would work

it is super easy to go thru the roof on a mobile home cuz there is no attic. if metal roof then really easy.
im just worried about patching it later, going to take the stoves with me when we sell it. Its only a temporary spot while i save up for equipment to help pay for a house.

prolly got 3-4 in it but the sheet metal was the high part. just tubeing and backer less than 200. 5' wide sheet was kinda pricy but I could have made due with 4 and spliced.

im just worried about patching it later, going to take the stoves with me when we sell it. Its only a temporary spot while i save up for equipment to help pay for a house.
I got ya. just be safe.
just respect the clearances and you should be good. remember single wall pipe is 18"
you can look up all the clearances and your chimney instructions should tell ya.

prolly got 3-4 in it but the sheet metal was the high part. just tubeing and backer less than 200. 5' wide sheet was kinda pricy but I could have made due with 4 and spliced.
at that cost i might save that for the house in a couple years, will price some board for the wall though for sure and give it some breathing space behind. thanks

The deciding factor is the stove itself. How high off the floor is it? Does it have a heat shield built into it?
I use a simple hearth pad purchased from Lowes for around $40. Of course my stove sits off the floor quite aways and has a plate running under it. The floor is warm around the stove but nowhere near warm enough to do any damage. As far as embers, I don't have a problem with those thanks to the little catch tray.
photo (4).JPG

photo (4).JPG

Attachments

• photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 5
The deciding factor is the stove itself. How high off the floor is it? Does it have a heat shield built into it?
I use a simple hearth pad purchased from Lowes for around $40. Of course my stove sits off the floor quite aways and has a plate running under it. The floor is warm around the stove but nowhere near warm enough to do any damage. As far as embers, I don't have a problem with those thanks to the little catch tray.
View attachment 326096

View attachment 326096
It does have a heat shield in the back, sits about 16-18 inches off the ground we have carpet down, and the wall is quarter inch drywall but i will have something up along the wall

I like the Hardibacker board. Its much better in my opinion than the cement board specially if your just going to lay it on the floor . Cement board tends to crumple if its not attached to the substrate .This is my stove in the basement I used all metal studs and hardibacker with veneer used brick . I insulated with Roxul mineral wool insulation because its non combustible and wont mold if it gets wet. I used the backerboard on the ceiling as a heat shield too

Attachments

• P1050383.JPG
    P1050383.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 27
  • P1050384.JPG
    P1050384.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 25
I like the Hardibacker board. Its much better in my opinion than the cement board specially if your just going to lay it on the floor . Cement board tends to crumple if its not attached to the substrate .This is my stove in the basement I used all metal studs and hardibacker with veneer used brick . I insulated with Roxul mineral wool insulation because its non combustible and wont mold if it gets wet. I used the backerboard on the ceiling as a heat shield too
nice job. did you cut the brick thin? or can you buy antiqe brick veneer?
you wouldn't need the insulation if you left a way for air to circulate but is very nice, safe and well thought out.
congrates to you sir, most don't even try.

nice job. did you cut the brick thin? or can you buy antiqe brick veneer?
you wouldn't need the insulation if you left a way for air to circulate but is very nice, safe and well thought out.
congrates to you sir, most don't even try.
I insulated to keep the heat from going out the concrete foundation wall behind the stove. I was loosing way to much heat in the deepest part of winter there was no snow two to three feet away from the house . The brick was already cut I got the last 18 box's from Miron concrete, the company stopped making it because of the cost I used it in the bar room too that seems to be taking forever to finish.

Attachments

• P1050385.JPG
    P1050385.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 17
  • P1050386.JPG
    P1050386.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
Back