Heat help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shipper50

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought a fireplace insert last year and with the suggestion by ericjeeper and my chimney sweep I added insulation all around the insert inside the fireplace area.

My problem is, it doesn't heat my house. I live in a log home with 20 foot plus high ceilings and do have ceiling fans to circulate the air. With good wood like ash and maple and have tried locust the insert doesn't put out enough heat to keep the house warm when its cold out.

I also have to keep adding wood every 4-6 hours when I keep the air full on the insert. The insert does have a blower and does help keep the main living area warm, but doesn't keep the temp above 65 when its below 35 outside.

Anyone with a wood stove think I should buy a stove and try heating the house that way? I do have a heat pump as my only other heat source, but I don't like high electric bills. Not when one is on a pension with a fixed income.

I was looking at taking the insert out and having a freestanding stove, but I don't want it to take up the whole living room.

Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Shipper

The majority of heat put out into a room by a good freestanding woodburning (and even gas) stove is radiant heat off of the cast iron stove body (and the flue pipe too). When you shove an insert into a fireplace, it would seem that the majority of heat stays trapped within the chimney structure itself, and a blower is poor substitute for the radiant heat coming off of the entire thermal mass of a good cast iron stove.

I'd lose the insert and get a freestanding unit.

My little insert puts out massive heat and was fairly cheap, it's a Dutch West, and I also have a big Vermont Castings Defiant on the other side of the house. While the stove burns 10 hours and the insert only 4-5 on one load I feel the insert puts out more heat during peak burn. I don't have 20' ceilings though.

Last edited:
Ship....

With 20' ceilings your heat is going up and staying there. In order to run your fans fast enough to get the heat back down to the floor, you would feel a chill breese from them.

A free standing unit would make it warmer when your within 10' of the stove, but you dont seem to be having problems wiht heat there.

What brand of unit do you have?

My insert is a Appalachian 32XLBW. I got it off ebay as it was a floor model but never used. I had to **** around with the seller as it didn't have the blower motor and I them to send me one and I got it running.

This morning the outside temp was 26 and my house was a toasty 65 with the insert 3/4 throttled back as the burn time is short when the air is full.

Anyone have or know anyone that does have a woodstock stove? I see they offer 6 months money back guarantee and will pay for the shipping back to them if not satisfied.

Shipper

I'd get a free standing woodburning stove. Mine is a Hearthstone "Mansfield" that keeps my house very comfortable, even in the coldest of temps. I have vaulte ceilings, but no way near twenty feet. Stoves are often rated by BTU and square feet to heat.

You guys are high jacking my post. If you have a problem with another poster on here thats fine, take it up with him. But how about if you cant leave advice you don't leave anything?:(

Shipper

They are giving their opinions. Nobodys highjacking the thread. Does your indert have a blower? Thats the first thing to do if it can take one before replacing the unit. Also you have the block off plates so no air can be lost up the chimney right? If its a new insert and new to you, then you may have to play with its settings to get a different or longer burn. Every insert or stove operates differently with each owner. When you installed the insert did you size it with the home?

They are giving their opinions. Nobodys highjacking the thread. Does your indert have a blower? Thats the first thing to do if it can take one before replacing the unit. Also you have the block off plates so no air can be lost up the chimney right? If its a new insert and new to you, then you may have to play with its settings to get a different or longer burn. Every insert or stove operates differently with each owner. When you installed the insert did you size it with the home?

My insert has a blower, I posted where I put insulation in the chimmeny area to keep the heat from going up it. The insert says it will heat 2500 sf and my house is know where near that. I do have high ceilings with it being a log home with a loft area. It took all day today with my burning the insert on full to get the temp up to 68 inside and the outside temp reaching 58.

I do have new tripple pain windows and new doors and not much air leakeage in the house.

Shipper

Last edited:
Something doesn't sound quite right with your unit, shipper. Is the chimney sized to fit the flue of the insert?

We have a Pacific Energy Summit in the basement. Yes, it's a large stove, but man, does it heat. Freestanding, no blower. I do have a box fan set up next to it.

Hasn't been cold yet this year, but at 30 degrees F, we can easily keep the first floor at 70 degrees F. The basment is a lot warmer and the 2nd floor is a little cooler.

I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out what you mean Hijack. It looks to me like the people that replied were trying to help you. Chill dude

Someone told me once that it is better to remain silent and thought a fool than open ones mouth and remove all doubt. I think it was Mark Twain.

You just joined the board and your going to tell people to chill? :mad:

Shipper

Something doesn't sound quite right with your unit, shipper. Is the chimney sized to fit the flue of the insert?

We have a Pacific Energy Summit in the basement. Yes, it's a large stove, but man, does it heat. Freestanding, no blower. I do have a box fan set up next to it.

Hasn't been cold yet this year, but at 30 degrees F, we can easily keep the first floor at 70 degrees F. The basment is a lot warmer and the 2nd floor is a little cooler.

Mr. ericjeeper has been to my house and he agrees that something is not right. The insert doesn't put out the heat it should and that is why I am leaning towards a Woodstock Fireview. I like their 6 month money back guarantee and am thinking of going that way.

As for the chimney size, the house had a heatilator fireplace and my chimney sweep who did the install put a liner up the chimney and the insert match size wise.

Shipper

Mr. ericjeeper has been to my house and he agrees that something is not right. The insert doesn't put out the heat it should and that is why I am leaning towards a Woodstock Fireview. I like their 6 month money back guarantee and am thinking of going that way.

As for the chimney size, the house had a heatilator fireplace and my chimney sweep who did the install put a liner up the chimney and the insert match size wise.

Shipper

How much ceiling and wall insulation do you have? Does the insert draft well? When you shut the damper down, does it smolder or burn? How big is the firebox?

Someone mentioned a freestanding stove. That's a good idea. Not sure if your fireplace is on an outside wall, but that doesn't help if you're trying to heat the whole house.

If your stove is operating correctly, the heat is going somewhere. A new stove may not help you out there.

Is it possible to put a stove thermometer on the insert? If so, how hot does it get? If not, would it be possible to get one - less than $10 at Home Depot right now. Is the firebox filled with well seasoned wood? I am not familiar with Appalachian inserts...are they EPA phase 2 approved?

Check List

Advice is free. The advice is from us unknowns, so do some homework. Here goes Ship.
1. Posters are correct: an insert will not put our anywhere the total heat of a free standing wood stove. Just some common sense.
2. Your stove has a catalytic converter. Without getting into details, if it is not working, depleted, or clogged, you won't be getting anything out of the stove for BTU's ( that's heat :( ). Check it. It's like the cat in your tailpipe; reburning the emmissions for clean air and efficiency. You may need to seriously clean it, or replace it.
3. Read the manual that goes with any stove. Every stove has its own methods....kind of like women :censored: . It takes some time and effort to get the beast to operate as it should. Are you operating the stove correctly ?
Get the cat up to temp, damp the cat recirculating damper, then adjust the air. It's all in the manual. Get it online.
I'll be sending a bill :dizzy: :dizzy: .

I will step up for Shipper

Advice is free. The advice is from us unknowns, so do some homework. Here goes Ship.
1. Posters are correct: an insert will not put our anywhere the total heat of a free standing wood stove. Just some common sense.
2. Your stove has a catalytic converter. Without getting into details, if it is not working, depleted, or clogged, you won't be getting anything out of the stove for BTU's ( that's heat :( ). Check it. It's like the cat in your tailpipe; reburning the emmissions for clean air and efficiency. You may need to seriously clean it, or replace it.
3. Read the manual that goes with any stove. Every stove has its own methods....kind of like women :censored: . It takes some time and effort to get the beast to operate as it should. Are you operating the stove correctly ?
Get the cat up to temp, damp the cat recirculating damper, then adjust the air. It's all in the manual. Get it online.
I'll be sending a bill :dizzy: :dizzy: .

Until I was 20 years old my name was "gitwoodboy". The stove even with a big fire in it just does not emit any heat. Cat is clean.I can see it.Damper is closed,Once the fire is up to full burn.

Latest posts

Back