Heat loss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cornfed

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got a outdoor wood stove and have no problem with it other than its a wood hog! I was told that I should build a shed around the stove to keep the heat loss to a minimum.

What do you guys think?

Is it a boiler or do you have something like a US Stove furnace ducted into the house?

Ian

The Woodsman

I read your question< envisioned a shed around the stove~ sounds good~ what sort of woods are yu burnin? have you considered burnin some higher BTU wood? Sheds a good plan doe!:blob2:

ivE built a shed/greenhouse, deer stand, around my central boiler, the entire boiler is on the warm side except for the door. Its a greenhouse on the warm side also, and while im working on it i have hooked up a small woodstove that taps into the outdoor wood boiler chimney clean out door. I almost have a secondary heating loop off the boiler finished. Originally, i put a magic heat in the chimney in efforts to use pure waste heat to heat the greenhouse, but the corrosive massive amounts of creasote ate up the magic heat. that was a stupid idea anyway.

The greenhouse is not very airtight yet, but residual heat and some solor heat raised the temperature in there today, before I started the woodstove. Today 32 degrees in the room, before i started small woodstove, in there while it was 15 degrees outside.

I do know that my outdoor boiler has less than three inches of foam at the access panel, and this is not really that much.

obviously, its probably not worth it to construct a building around the OWB purely for efficiency sake, but if you need a small heated space, or want a greenhouse/workshop anyway, it seems to make sense. This small building does have a small second floor attic, that allows me to access the chimney and run a brush down it once in a while...

I will post picturs of it later.

barkeatr

Just my opinion, but OWB's are designed to stand alone OUTSIDE. Most newer models I would assume are insulated and will burn with snow sitting on top of them without melting the snow. Now if your building it to keep your wood dry in a convienent location or maybe for asthetic reasons go for it, but I wouldn't expect to decrease the amount of wood burned (at least in significant amounts) because it has a building around it.

thanks, but yous misunderstood my post, my OWB/woodshed/greenhouse aint a actual house! I dont live in that little building! I know it looks good but....but its just a outbuilding with free heat!

thanks, but yous misunderstood my post, my OWB/woodshed/greenhouse aint a actual house! I dont live in that little building! I know it looks good but....but its just a outbuilding with free heat!

It's really nice. Did you notice any change in the amount of wood burned before and after building?

You guys with your OWB's are a riot.......... You don't want a wood stove in the house.....then you build a house around your wood stove!:laugh:

You might have a point there. I was thinking that I might move my OWB in spring. The guy who lives next to me just bought one so I figure if I move mine closer to his, he could fill my stove each time he fills his. Either that or I'm thinking of buying like 10 of them car ports and attaching them end to end. That way I can go outside to fill my stove and not be out in that nasty weather.

Hey Tree, Happy New Years to you and Everyone

Back