Heating next winter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornbread

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Any yawl care to take gees as to what heating oil or propane will cost for heating next winter.

I hop you yanks are ready.

I am cutting wood as fast as I can.

well cornbread they are estimating gas prices above $6.00 a gal by end of summer, that is if the greedy oil companies get their way..
you know some politician will let it happen for a bribe.
i can see in my crystal ball fuel oil at $ 4.50 a gallon.. nat gas up 35%
propane usually follows suet $1.00 lower then gasoline around here..so puts it at $5.00 gal.....
time for a wind turbine for the house and a good wood burner...and for the days its not windy a generator...:clap::clap:

gas ? 4.50 tops per gallon here... propane 3.00 per gallon ? .. and trucker fuel???? who knows as this is what makes us able to buy/purchase gas at 4.50 a gallon!! electric does'nt seem to change alot here with hydro power dams so not seeing that raising any.. wood for the customers is building daily, but if it means keeping my fat arse warm i will keep it all !! a good garden/canned foods for us yanks and beef plus deer meat in the freezer not a hole lot to do but fish through the ice and eat...

I've already got firewood that'll last into 2013 & i'm having 2 dying silver maples taken down next week. I dont care how bad the effeminate muslim chief tries to make this country. I'm a better man than he is. My father wasnt a slimy muslim& didnt abandon me, my mother wasnt a communist tramp, attending racist churches has never been a hobby of mine, and none of my friends are former stateside terrorist bombers. I win.

I've already got firewood that'll last into 2013 & i'm having 2 dying silver maples taken down next week. I dont care how bad the effeminate muslim chief tries to make this country. I'm a better man than he is. My father wasnt a slimy muslim& didnt abandon me, my mother wasnt a communist tramp, attending racist churches has never been a hobby of mine, and none of my friends are former stateside terrorist bombers. I win.
that does it you are my new hero.

High!!!

I work with a farmer and he told me that things are already bad for them, if your not rich, you wont be able to eat this fall" Im looking for and keeping every little stick that I can find" If I can afford to go hunting this year, sorry Bamby, Rocky, AND Thumper"""" If I can, ill take all I can get!

Canning Jars, Freezer bags, Garden. Git some!

The produce market is going absolutely stupid trying to figure out exactly how high to go with pricing.

They already know they will have to pay much more for every aspect of thier operations, and will have to pass it on to the retailers, who will pass it on to consumers.

For the last half dozen years, growers and retailers have been absorbing costs to the point the cushion is now gone, and now the fuel costs are forcing the demand for higher prices paid at every step. No more cushion. Y'all are gonna pay, and pay dearly.

Grow and barter for Garden and home orchard goodies, or go broke eating a salad.LOL!

Fuel for heat? I figure we are simply screwed.
Those that aren't burning wood, will be at Obama's gates with torches and pitchforks by mid December.

I suggest looking into Camo netting for the woodpile, and adopting a Crack addicted rabid Pitbull for a woodpile guardian, installing a layered intruder detection system and insuring your woodpile.

Are any of the woodstove companys publicly traded?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Do keep in mind, the last rise in oil prices was due in part to speculation, as was the rise and shortage of ammo, stock market crash, etc. While there are other factors driving market conditions, speculation is often a big one. Be prepared, but it's a bit early to head for the bunkers.

Gasoline won't reach $6/gal by end of simmer, but diesel fuel might get there.

I figure $5.25/gal peak on gasoline. Otherwise, another President will walk into the White House in 2012. :msp_razz:

We can only hope another president will walk into the white house and hopefully tommorrow I want one who has actually run and been successful at a business, especially a business in which his own money was on the line. Money is power and without money the old USA is basically powerless.

Next year will cost more, no doubt.

Gasoline at $6.oo per gallon? Probably not; most of the time the people wringing their collective hands over the worst-case scenario are wrong. $5.oo per gallon? Maybe, but $4.5o - $4.75 is more likely.

Yes, speculation drives the price... but what drives speculation? Well, it's partially driven by what's happening overseas... and our own foreign policies. To our (my) dismay, the current president is clueless about foreign policy and it's effect on economics at home. And worse, he believes that higher (fossil) fuel prices are actually a good thing, believing it will cause less use and drive the need for alternative fuel/energy. He is blind to the way energy prices bite hard into the average workin'-Joe's wallet... as oil prices climb the cost of everything rises. Or maybe he does see and just don't give-a-flyin'-flip... It's the end of the line that pays the price, the end-user, the consumer... you and me, the workin' guy... not the producer or supplier, they just pass the cost on down the line.

The simple fact is, when you figure in all the costs such as producing and maintaining, the gasoline engine is still to best bang-for-the-buck when it comes to portable/mobile power. And fossil fuel energy is still the cheapest, most efficient we've got... even if we bought all our oil from overseas. All the solar, wind and alternative fuel combined have barely managed to replace one single large oil well... beginning with Carter's Energy Commission in the '70's we've wasted multi-trillions of dollars on a pipe-dream... money better spent on drilling. The future is nuclear power, the true power of the sun... now that's what I call solar power.

Until this country... the world... get's over its "green" infatuation we're screwed... plain and simple. We need energy now, not tomorrow, and the quickest, cheapest and most efficient way we have is to drill-baby-drill. Any other course will only make energy so expensive it will destroy us. It's time to wake-up and face the facts.

If you're my age or older, you probably remember conversations with your Grandparents, stories about getting by with very little, the world-wide Great Depression. Well, I don't wanna' sound like an alarmist, but read your history and then try tellin' me we ain't going there again. I've heard that it can't happen again because we've put all these safety valves in place... but it looks to me like those will only make it worse... different, but still worse.

Speculation has been a problem for a while -- and I use speculation as the unproductive financial folks who aren't market makers and aren't "oil men."

That's different from the traditional and legitimate need for folks who understand the markets and act as middlemen and to help hedge prices through trading futures contracts.

HOWEVER, this ain't speculation folks.

This is the U.S. running trillion dollar annual deficits and not wanting to see interest rates rise -- so the Fed is doing "Quantative Easing;" i.e. they're printing dollars to buy U.S. Treasuries so that we don't have to find buyers (which would require higher interest rates because we're issuing more then there is a market for at these interest rates).

Which is devaluing the greenback.

Cheap dollars means it's expensive for us to import goods, like oil. And it's cheap for other nations to buy stuff from us.

We're getting the worse of all financial and regulatory policies. Let's take corn -- it's expensive for our farmers to grow with high energy prices (fertilizer is primarily natural gas based), it's expensive for us to transport, we're competeting with car gas tanks for food, and at the same time because the U.S. dollar is devaluing, it's relatively cheaper for foreign countries to buy our grain for export.

At some point soon the musical chairs we're playing between the Fed & Treasury will end and we'll be back to the stagflation of the 1970s -- high inflation, high interest rates, and no economic growth.

In Aus were paying $4.90-$5.30 per gallon now so u lot cant be to far behind.

Australia's fuel taxes are about a dollar more a gallon then in the U.S., so you might actually be a bit lower then us once you sort out the tax and exchange rates.

Taxes on gas is another issue -- for the most part our gas taxes (75% of which in most states go to funding highways, and is the primary federal and state source of money for highways) haven't been increased since the mid-90s.

Back in say 1997 you were paying about $0.50/gallon in taxes included in $1.35 gas. Today we're paying $0.50/gallon in taxes in the price of $4 gasoline.

Add to that 15+ years of inflation, you understand why our pavement quality is nosediving.

Since we know that higher prices reduce demand, it's one of our policy failures that our politicians didn't have the balls to change the gas tax from a fixed cents-per-gallon to a percentage system like other sales taxes, and keep it all dedicated to highway transportation (build and maintain roads as well as support services such as police patrols).

In a price surge like we're currently seeing, at least taxes would be making up a larger share of the price -- meaning that's going to the public purse and used to improve and make the roads more efficient...instead of that price increase going to the producers, distributors, etc.

What we are willing to pay for gas would stay the same, who gets what slice of the pie would change.

Do keep in mind, the last rise in oil prices was due in part to speculation, as was the rise and shortage of ammo, stock market crash, etc. While there are other factors driving market conditions, speculation is often a big one. Be prepared, but it's a bit early to head for the bunkers.

Guns, figure 13-17% of the current price is speculation.

The rest is the dollar racing to the bottom, from crushing debt and speculation on it's value.

Oil at 100 bucks plus a barrel for weeks, plus no decisive end to the mid-east upheaval anywhere in sight, continued REAL unemployment figures pushing 20%, GM getting dumped by the .Gov at a 11 Billion loss, and continued uncorrected inflation with nothing but denial from Helicopter Ben.

Nope, no need to turn the heat on in the bunker, just a good time to start getting used to the idea of paying a LOT more for everything and prepping in earnest for rough times.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

well ???? summers almost here and so far the price of gas is going the right way for a change! but, the question will always hound us .... will it stay or will it go? either way where the price stands now i wont wait for the lower or higher fuel costs , so get all your wood you can when it seems to be going our way.

Nice spelling and anti-muslim rants, folks! :(
We can't have been so programmed, can we?

Over the last 150 yrs. we've had the increasing luxury of ever-cheaper and more convenient fuels from wood to coal to oil to nuclear. And become addicted in sequence.

Distilled oil used to sell for $.05/gal.

Now the Chinese and Indians, among others of the 7 billion people on the planet, want oil for their industry and their new vehicles too, while we spread new oil that we exploit all over the Gulf of Mexico.

Soon we will hit "peak oil" from where discover and "production" decline. Hopefully we will have prepared for that; it will require adaptation and work. You want a magic-bullet?

Meanwhile coastal regions of the world can expect serious sea-level-rise from all the CO2 we're generating. (See Bangladesh.)

Anybody remember which recent President and Vice-President were joined umbilically with gas & oil interests? "W" and "Cheney" come to mind?

Nice spelling and anti-muslim rants, folks! :(
We can't have been so programmed, can we?

Over the last 150 yrs. we've had the increasing luxury of ever-cheaper and more convenient fuels from wood to coal to oil to nuclear. And become addicted in sequence.

Distilled oil used to sell for $.05/gal.

Now the Chinese and Indians, among others of the 7 billion people on the planet, want oil for their industry and their new vehicles too, while we spread new oil that we exploit all over the Gulf of Mexico.

Soon we will hit "peak oil" from where discover and "production" decline. Hopefully we will have prepared for that; it will require adaptation and work. You want a magic-bullet?

Meanwhile coastal regions of the world can expect serious sea-level-rise from all the CO2 we're generating. (See Bangladesh.)

Anybody remember which recent President and Vice-President were joined umbilically with gas & oil interests? "W" and "Cheney" come to mind?

talk about being pre-programmed. :dizzy:

When fuel oil hit' $3.40 this early summer I will fill as many 275 gallon tanks as I can find to fill...just for the skidder...and maybe for the truck..

Back