• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Helko Tasmania Timber Sport Axe - New - $115

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone already claimed. Thanks for the interest guys. Does anyone know how I select the Red tag that says "FOR SALE" on the title of this thread? I'm trying to change it to say sold, but haven't figured it out yet....

Id like one of The Hinterland Hatchet... maybe. How do they compare to a gransfors Burks?

Well, granted that my company is Helko North America, I suppose my opinion would have a slight bias. So, take from this what you will.

But, I feel the Hinterland Hatchet compares quite well to the Gransfors Bruks. They are both made the same way. Both are handmade, which in the modern axe industry, that translates to open-die dropforging. Our Traditional Line axes are made by open-die dropforging, where one of Helko's master-smiths holds the hot steel with tongs as a drophammer falls repeatedly onto it, giving the smith full control of the shape and design of the head. The steel is a German C45 High Grade Carbon steel, and holds and edge exceptionally well. Rockwell hardness is within 53-56 HRC, which when combined with proper tempering, cooling, and heating, is a perfect balance between edge retention and hardness. Our handles are handmade in Switzerland, from American Hickory that is sustainably sourced and certified from the Forest Stewardship Council. The handle is coated with boiled linseed oil. The axe is hung with a wooden wedge, as well as an additional circular steel ring wedge. Personally, I feel that a steel ring wedge is superior to a flat bar wedge (personal opinion).

Also, it would come with a USA handmade vegetable tanned leather sheath, and a bottle of Axe-Guard (metal protector). The hatchet is 15 inches in length, and the head weight is 1-1/4 lbs. The blade itself has the Helko crown log hammered into the steel, which is only done once the smith who makes it agrees that it meets their standards.

So, that's a little information on our Hinterland Hatchet. I'm not one to say whether I think it's better or worse than a Gransfors. I think they are both finely made pieces that demonstrate both Germany and Sweden's manufacturing brilliance and ability.

Here's a photo of it at the bottom:

Well, granted that my company is Helko North America, I suppose my opinion would have a slight bias. So, take from this what you will.

But, I feel the Hinterland Hatchet compares quite well to the Gransfors Bruks. They are both made the same way. Both are handmade, which in the modern axe industry, that translates to open-die dropforging. Our Traditional Line axes are made by open-die dropforging, where one of Helko's master-smiths holds the hot steel with tongs as a drophammer falls repeatedly onto it, giving the smith full control of the shape and design of the head. The steel is a German C45 High Grade Carbon steel, and holds and edge exceptionally well. Rockwell hardness is within 53-56 HRC, which when combined with proper tempering, cooling, and heating, is a perfect balance between edge retention and hardness. Our handles are handmade in Switzerland, from American Hickory that is sustainably sourced and certified from the Forest Stewardship Council. The handle is coated with boiled linseed oil. The axe is hung with a wooden wedge, as well as an additional circular steel ring wedge. Personally, I feel that a steel ring wedge is superior to a flat bar wedge (personal opinion).

Also, it would come with a USA handmade vegetable tanned leather sheath, and a bottle of Axe-Guard (metal protector). The hatchet is 15 inches in length, and the head weight is 1-1/4 lbs. The blade itself has the Helko crown log hammered into the steel, which is only done once the smith who makes it agrees that it meets their standards.

So, that's a little information on our Hinterland Hatchet. I'm not one to say whether I think it's better or worse than a Gransfors. I think they are both finely made pieces that demonstrate both Germany and Sweden's manufacturing brilliance and ability.

Here's a photo of it at the bottom:

Thanks, is the traditional line the only line that offers open die dropforged heads?

The rest of our axes are axes still drop-forged....however a few of the processes are a little different. For instance, the Traditional Line heads are being forged by the master-smiths, who handle exclusively that line.

Unrelated, but i live in Tasmania, Australia, do these axes have anything to do with our little island ?

The rest of our axes are axes still drop-forged....however a few of the processes are a little different. For instance, the Traditional Line heads are being forged by the master-smiths, who handle exclusively that line.

Ok, I guess that what I was asking for the most part. Thanks I love quality metals, I have wetterlings, gransfors, and one Autine/john neeman. I will add a helko soon!

If I am not happy with the handle (im picky and I use my tools) how does exchanging go?

Well, anything that we ship out is inspected very closely for quality, and all items are photographed for records. If you're not happy with the axe and it hasn't been used, you can return it and we will refund/exchange you, minus the shipping (which is $5). Some people are more picky than others, sure. I would say just private message me or give us a call and we can try to avoid exchanging/refunding ahead of time.

Well, anything that we ship out is inspected very closely for quality, and all items are photographed for records. If you're not happy with the axe and it hasn't been used, you can return it and we will refund/exchange you, minus the shipping (which is $5). Some people are more picky than others, sure. I would say just private message me or give us a call and we can try to avoid exchanging/refunding ahead of time.

Ok, will do. Ill be ordering after I get settled in at college. Thanks for your help and knowledge.

Latest posts

Back