hell bent

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slfd721

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
ok so ive read some threads about chainsaw mods. however im not really understanding the muffler mod. is it really as simple as drilling out the exit ports? or some people were saying something about a straight through design. can someone please explain and possibly put up pictures so i can see it (i'm kind of a ree-ree and need to see stuff to understand it.

Before you do this mod... I must ask if you can tune a saw by ear. If you can't and you run the saw for too long, it'll seize the engine. The high and low mix screws need to be tweaked so the saw gets enough fuel.

mod

Yes you can drill the holes like I did or your own pattern. Yes it had more power and you will have to adjust the H & L on your carb. If your not sure I would have someone show you how to adjust it. I did it my self just be careful if you try it your self, could burn up your saw.

some mufflers are easier than others...

the 029/290-039/390 mufflers are DAMN easy to mod....

some of the husky mufflers are a SUPER PAIN...

but, ultimately, your trying to IMPROVE the flow of the muffler. If the INLET of the muffler is 800 cubic mm, and the outlet of the muffler is 100 cu mm, there's an OBVIOUS restriction... try and land your outlet size close to 80% or so of exhaust port (at the cylinder wall) size... you can go up to 100% if your still using the spark screen...

some mufflers need welding to look good, others you can work with the stock outlet (As in the Stihl muffler above...)

ALWAYS remember, ANY mod, requires a RE-tune :D

:cheers:

Read through this article on Madsens web site. If you follow this procedure, you're good to go. Listen to the sound clips carefully, you'll notice how the sound changed as the carb is adjusted.

Saw Carb Tuning

Madsens has some good info on saw care. Check it out.

About the muffler mod on the 290/310/390, I drill out the recessed area with 6 holes at 1/4". Open up the deflector cover a little bit with an angle grinder like the picture below.

aab.sized.jpg

ok so ive read some threads about chainsaw mods. however im not really understanding the muffler mod. is it really as simple as drilling out the exit ports? or some people were saying something about a straight through design. can someone please explain and possibly put up pictures so i can see it (i'm kind of a ree-ree and need to see stuff to understand it.

what saw are we discussing??

Here's my ms-290 I modded for the first time, not hard at all.

you have a lot of improvement left in your muffler.

Latest posts

Back