Hello Everybody. Just Picked Up an MS290.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conquistador3

Le Comte de Frou Frou
Reaction score
Hello to members. I am from the Italian Alps and I just picked up a second hand Stihl MS290 to replace an old Echo farm saw which died earlier this year.
I came to your site while looking for tips on this saw because, while very highly rated, it seems very little known locally. I've already looked up as many posts on this chainsaw as I could and I am blown away by the knowledge on this website. :numberone:

I bought this chainsaw to supplement another slightly smaller Stihl I have, chiefly to cut firewood and undo snow damages. Mechanically it's very sound: runs great, no problems on startup when cold (at least no more than other Stihl's I've owned and tried) or hot etc. It came with a 3/8" conversion. Having taken the saw apart to clean it, it's apparent it saw very little use: the owner told me he bought it in 2005, used it "once or twice a year" and hasn't touched it in two years. Not hard to believe.

Only "problems" is it came with a 50cm (20") bar (Rollomatic E standard), which I take is not the best choice for this saw, especially when running a 3/8" chain, a much battered bar scabbard and the chain is so dull I am not 100% sure it can be satisfactorily resharpened.

So I take the occasion to ask two questions.
First, since I intend to get at least a spare chain anyway what should I get? The smaller Stihl is usually more than enough for softwood, so the MS290 would be chiefly used on hardwood. Relax, I am not felling what's best left to forestry saws! ;)
Second, should I feel the need for a shorter bar, what's better: 16" or 18"?
Spares are no issue as I have a Stihl dealership with 40+ experience nearby.

Thanks everybody!

A 290 will handle a 20" bar if the chain is properly maintained, that means the cutters are kept sharp and properly size matched and the depth gauges properly set at .025 lower than the cutters. Either semi or full chisel will do for the cutting you intend on doing. The 290 may not be a PRO forestry saw but they do very well for homeowner firewood and farm duty saws. Happy sawing.

Short of broken and bent cutters they can be sharpened up just fine. It Will take 6-10+ strokes of the file instead of 1-3

Is the chain full chisel - square 90deg outside top and side
Or
Semi chisel. Flat top rounded sides.

I ran an 029 (older modle ) for years and I used a 20" .325 and it was ok but in hard wood it was working. But it worked every year for almost 15 years and sold her still working.
If I where to change the bar I would consider a 18" with .325 unless you really need the extra 2" but even then when it was do for a new bar or sprocket I would probably go to .325.
Ps you have to show photos or it didn't happen.
Just my $0.02
Welcome

Pictures will follow as soon as I sharpen the chain which is presently on my workbench. ;)

The owner mentioned he bought the saw with the 3/8" conversion already installed so there's no original .325" sprocket or chain. Given the cost of parts and what I paid the saw itself, it makes little economic sense but i will surely keep that in mind.

That is why I said when one or both the sprocket or bar needs replacing I would consider switching then. 3/8 is just fine especially if you keep them sharp and depth gages set right.

I own one and I love it. Works great in any wood. I have a 20" bar on my to. I sharpen my chains every time I use them for a long day cutting (3-4 trees cut up).
I just like to start next time with a sharp chain. I can get out 15-20 times electric sharpening from one chain.
Good luck with your new saw.

As promised here are pictures:

IMG_0002_zpsqbgfngtx.jpg

IMG_0001_zpst5ls8fln.jpg

And here it is with its smaller and younger sibling:

IMG_0005_zpsa2lsnp60.jpg

IMG_0004_zpsc0mukosb.jpg

Chain is sharpened and the saw's officially cleared for action. A new scabbard will have to wait until the Stihl dealership reopens after the festivities.
One thing that struck me about this saw is how little use it has seen. Almost everything on it looks very low hours. I suspect my far newer 231 worked more.

Back