Hello, new here w/ some questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sneno77

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
First off, just wanted to say "hi" and introduce myself. I've been in love w/ chainsaws since I first remember helping my dad (faller) clean his two saws after work each day. Earliest I can remember he was running the Husky's until Stihl came out w/ the 064 and 044. He's since retired from the logging industry, but still has a couple high mileage Stihls that get regular use as firewood saws. He started me out w/ a little tree trimming saw he had and I've been hooked ever since. I'm no pro, but I've ran a saw for at least 20 of my 30yrs. I fought wildland fire for 10yrs, earning the coveted govt rating of "C sawyer". Been in some great country over the years, but finally got back close to home here in MT and am in need of a good firewood saw. I'm a bit partial to the 044, as I've packed one many miles in the woods and have never had a complaint w/ the performance. I was pretty set on trying to find a good used 44, but then I found this site and started reading about the Dolmar 7900. From what I've read, and the number listed on their homepage, it seems like the 7900 is a great pick. Most of the wood I cut is under 30", but I do find a good Doug Fir or Larch now and then that pushed the 40" mark. I need a saw w/ good power that won't mind running a 28-32" bar w/ semi-skip.
What kind of prices are the 7900's going for? I've used the dealer locater and was greatly disspointed to find that the dealer they list as 80miles from me is actually in Ohio (computer error?), and the next closest (spokane, wa) only lists lawn implements on their web site. Are these saws good enough to take a chance on, or should I stick w/ the time proven 044? Thanks.

The 7900 will out cut a 44, but if it is hard to get or you cant get parts for it, then the Stihl comes back to the top.

If the 7900 is easy to get, go for it.

However, I would say get a 440 while there are stihl a few out there. Install a dual port muffler cover(part# 1128 140 0801) , retune and cut some wood. The 440 is no longer made btw. The 441 has replaced it.

Thanks Guys

My 044 is tired. It's been around for over 10yrs w/ 2yrs of hard professional felling (I'm the second owner). It still gets through wood, but I'm looking to relegate it to back-up duties. I'm sorely tempted by the 7900 in the trading post...got to talk to the wife tonight, but I think I'm going to try the Dolmar. I'm worried about parts, but w/ todays online environment I should be able to get what I need, right??

My 044 is tired. It's been around for over 10yrs w/ 2yrs of hard professional felling (I'm the second owner). It still gets through wood, but I'm looking to relegate it to back-up duties. I'm sorely tempted by the 7900 in the trading post...got to talk to the wife tonight, but I think I'm going to try the Dolmar. I'm worried about parts, but w/ todays online environment I should be able to get what I need, right??

There are a few guys that sell Dolmar around me. Where in Montana are you? Parts aren't an issue, most dealers around here will mail them to you. Heck, I have a great Stihl dealer 65 miles away that treats me very well...I call, order, and they show up at my door within 4-5 days.

All I am saying is, the 7900 is a strong saw at a bargain price - it can still be had for $600-650 PHO in this neck of the woods. I would get the saw and worry about parts later. You can download the parts list from Dolmar's site. Then call a dealer, ask if they will ship to your house, pay with credit card = done deal. As far as service, with good maintenance, you shouldn't need any. And, around here, I would learn how to do it myself before I paid good money to the dealer so the high school drop-out tech could work on my machine. Not knocking you all-star techs, but guys like you are few and far between, and pretty much unheard of around here.

Josh

Get the 7900, then get the 460BB kit put on the 044:hmm3grin2orange:

GITERDONE!!!!!!!!!

NW Montana

I'm over in the NW corner between TFalls and Trout Creek. Glad to hear parts aren't a problem. I have a father in law that can fix anything, I just wanted to hear that I could get parts if I needed them. I'm excited about this saw..just wish I could give one a try before spending the money. Also, still on the lookout for a full-wrap bar for this outfit. Thanks.

Go with the 7900 from what I hear it is a fantastic saw.If getting parts is an issue i'm sure I can help you out as I'm in close with the 3 parts stores in my town.

Well, I just sent an email off to Mr. Richey saying I would take the deal he has on the trading post. Hopefully I spoke up in time. I'm really looking forward to this saw.

Confirmed

Wow..only been here a couple days and I've already bought another saw. Now if it would only get here quicker. I confirmed and paid for the Dolmar 7900 listed in the Trade section and can't wait to try it out. Hopefully this sucker is as good as you fellas say....it's got a busy fall ahead of it:rock:

Thanks for the welcomes and the advice. I'm excited to have a new saw around here for a change. I'll let you know how it works out.

You may or may not know that the 7900 Dolmar uses a different bar mount than your Stihl. You can use Stihl bars with a $9 adapter from Bailey's, or just buy D009 mount bars made to fit the 7900. These bars are often referred to as large mount Husky bars. Good luck with your new saw!

Josh

Thanks for the heads-up. I didn't know that, esp as I'm new to the Dolmar products. Fortunately, Ed was good enough to swap out the 20" bar the saw came w/ and send me a 28" w/ the deal. Hopefully that will last me for awhile. :chainsaw:

Great decision. You're gonna be grinning ear to ear running it.
There are several Dolmar dealers that post here including cuttinscott, 166 and DolmarAtOs that can help you with advice/parts you need for your saw. Good people.

Back