help a newb please!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawbot

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
:) I just was looking at my owners manual for the new 372xp.
It states that i need to add lube to the needle bearing.
The pic shows the sprocket and another piece Page 33 owners manual for the 372. But my saw dosent have this piece on it? the order is power master
sprocket, then a silver washer looking piece, then the u clip that fits in the grove. But that little pice shown in the pic is not there. Is it missing? or maybe not on the 372 now? Wear do i need to apply the supplyed grease at?
Thxs

Patrick62 said:
I think they are refering to the needle bearing on the clutch. I am not that well versed in Husky's.

Your right that is the piece, how do you apply grease to that area
Thxs

jp hallman said:
Remove the clutch and bearing, work grease into the bearing. Put it all back together again!

nah nm too hard, im taking it in for service. LOL

JK thats what i thought but new saw, wanted to make 100% sure thxs
:Eye:

Hmmm...it's simple really. Remove the "E" clip(not U clip). Then the washer, clutch and sprocket all come off. The needle bearing is a small thing there inside the clutch. It'll drop right out. Work some grease into it put it all back together! If you use your saw a lot, do this once a month or so.

sawbot said:
nah nm too hard, im taking it in for service. LOL

JK thats what i thought but new saw, wanted to make 100% sure thxs
:Eye:

It is really not difficult once you do it once or twice. I suggest having a pair of snap ring pliers for the task.

i also suggest having a couple of spare e clips and a spare bearing of two. If they are not placed on correctly, the clip will fall off when the saw is running, and it is almost impossible to find the little thing in the grass or dirt, etc...

without a magnet for me it is impossible to find those little things, so just keep a few spares in the toolbox.

LOL! i was taking off the bearing and the E clip went flying across the room.
There is alot of stuff laying around due to the up comming move.
I had to move everythng to the other side of the room and get a bright light to find the stupid thing in dark carpet! I laughed :) the thing shot 10 ft+.
And 10 min later i found it. Im glad i learned this lesson at home! Thxs for the advice, i can see alot of you are going to be 2 steps ahead of me while i cut my teeth on this beast! thxs again

BTW got to say im loving the saw, This husky seems to be about the same as the 44 in the way its fixed, and put together.
A few more questions....

To lube or not to lube? The bar that is? Im talking about the little lube points on the bar its self, not the oiler. Organ 24"
18" bar on a 372 xp. is it ok for my 2nd bar?
Best chisle chain made?
Best bar made for replacement?
From day one should i run the best gas, or should i run mid grade?
And please explain how the hell my arms arent going to fall off using this saw 12 hours a day! Its got a good weight for the size i know, but 11 hours a day, the first week is going to be fun! :dizzy:

sawbot said:
And please explain how the hell my arms arent going to fall off using this saw 12 hours a day! Its got a good weight for the size i know, but 11 hours a day, the first week is going to be fun! :dizzy:

It isn't safe to run any saw (or any other piece of machinery) for that extended period of time. Fatigue will cloud your judgement and cause you to hurt yourself. Be careful and smart and wear your PPE.

And that 6 or 7 hours per day would include breaks and lunch, cigs, drinks, chat with the co-workers and 5 mobile calls to the Mrs, that's why they're loggers!

Also, you may have been confused by the inaccurate identification of the drum being called a clutch ... tch tch tch ... loggers! The clutch is always attached to the crankshaft of the engine, as it increases in rpm the centrifugal shoes a spread out gripping the drum assy which drives the chain.

Did you know that the only time the bearing that you have refered to actually does its work is when the engine is on and the chain brake applied or at idle. Otherwise the drum spins at the same rpm as the clutch and negates the use of the bearing.

Those E clips have an ability to loose their memory and not return to their original tight shape after so many removals. If your E clips is coming off and going back on too easy when you're lubricating the bearing, replace the clip before you have it come off during operation. {I've heard this is exciting}
Your saw manual probably states some frequency of greasing that bearing that is way too often, unless you're doing the chain brake thing excessively as mentioned above.
One possible advantage to this E clip design is it gives a faller in the field a relatively easy way to remove the power head from a bar that is pinched in the cut of a tree being fell. Let’s say you've screwed up and that big tree sat back on your back cut. Rather than risk loosing your entire saw when cutting a new face to get that big boy off your saw. By removing the sprocket area side cover, the E-clip in the field {bet you a nickel you loose it} and the sprocket etc you can get your power head away from a tree that might smash it. You still (no pun intended) could have bar damage, but that is small potatoes (Dan Quail style spelling) compared to power head damage.
Carrying a spare E clip in your wallet is easy. Hard to put spare full wrap handle bars in anything but a woman’s purse.
This removal of the power head may well be a very important safety feature for any cutter someday. The area closest to the stump is the greatest risk of a fatality. Don't be tempted to say you're going to stay a little longer in that zone and grab the other saw too then escape.
If you do remove the power head this way, put your spare bar/chain on that saw and get your tree over safely.
Invest in a plumb bob or straight axe handle and have a nice day.

sawbot said:
LOL! i was taking off the bearing and the E clip went flying across the room.

Spare e-clips is important to have in stock!

They disappear quite often like you said, and has to be replaced.

Are you sure there isn't a hole at the end of the crank-shaft to spray the grease into with a grease gun?
It is on the smaller Huskys, but they have outboard cluches - so maybe not....

Anyway, the needle bearing is "at work" only when the saw is idling, so it doesn't take much punishment. It doesn't have to be greased very often.

Last edited:
thxs all for your help. Ill be buying more e clips and im sure i now have the bearings greased right. Thxs again to all that shared.

Back