Oregon 24599Si Chain Spinner 108777Si Bearing Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsell

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My bearing is at the end of life on my chain spinner, #7. Does anyone have a photo of a new bearing? I'm trying to determine if it's worth spending the $50. I tore it apart last night and it was my worst nightmare putting it back together. I cleaned the 18 needles and the cage, and the nightmare was putting the needles back together. I greased it good and it sounds good when spinning, but the cage is nearly toast. There was bits and pieces of metal inside, so I'm not certain what it should look like. If the bearing race is not part of the bearing and is actually the alloy metal base, then I doubt it's worth doing. Below are the new numbers, the old were 108784Si for the anvil drive bearing, 108785Si thrust bearing, and 108786Si thrust washer. I'm not sure I understand what 108785Si thrust bearing was on the old parts because mine only has one bearing which is shown as #7. Maybe I have a different model.

spinner 1.PNGspinner 2.PNG

Hopefully this helps somebody in the future. I went ahead and ordered the kit even though I couldn't find pictures and the dealers didn't seem to know anything about it. I ordered it Sept 5th and received on the 18th, dropped shipped from a warehouse. That's why the dealers don't have info on it because they have never seen one. That type of business is very aggravating to me.

IMG_2346.JPGIMG_2347.JPGIMG_2348.JPGIMG_2349.JPGIMG_2350.JPGIMG_2351.JPGIMG_2352.JPGIMG_2353.JPGIMG_2354.JPGIMG_2355.JPG

I can see it is a different design. My anvil has a snap ring on the back to hold it tightly in place. This uses a nut and washer on the handle to capture the anvil, no snap ring grooves. The anvil has a stepped shaft where the needle bearing rides, mine doesn't. Mine doesn't even have the needle roller bearing. The disc bearing or thrust bearing is much thicker, larger needles, and I think a plastic cage vs metal. The face of the anvil is flat and I think mine is tapered. The thrust washer is much thicker than mine. The diagram above doesn't show the roller needle bearing.

108777SI contents:

.629 shaft OD Anvil
.665 shaft step x .225 long (roughly it's chamfered)
1.035 long (overall)

.867 needle bearing OD
.627 long

.107 thrust washer
1.162 OD
.669 ID

.137 thrust bearing
1.163 OD

The title should say 24549-SI.

Here is a shot from the internet and you can see the thrust bearing and washer are external, mine is recessed. The 2nd shot shows the nut and washer on the handle that retains the anvil. There is .164 of space left on the shaft that you can see on the last pictures.

Attachments

• spinner.png
    spinner.png
    944.2 KB · Views: 7
  • spinner 2.png
    spinner 2.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2357.JPG
    IMG_2357.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2356.JPG
    IMG_2356.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 6
My dimensions:
.588 anvil shaft OD, new .629
1.110 long, new 1.035
1.097 anvil head OD, new washer is 1.162

.748 steel bushing OD, new bearing .867 could be bored to fit.

The body is .814 thick at the top.

You can see the thrust washer and bearing are recessed and smaller diameter than the kit.

So, this kit will not work for me without machining the base. I would need to remove the steel bushing and bore to .867 I would need to remove the recess from the anvil side. .814 body +.107 new washer +.137 new bearing = 1.058, but the new anvil is only 1.035 long, so I couldn't fill the recess with machine washers. For a machinist, I think it would be an easy fix if the steel bushing would remove easily.

I found this from my old post when I tried to find anvils. I must have spinner 16338. My body is not cast iron, it is some type of alloy.

The 26889 & 26890 are the anvils that I see in the old catalogs for the old spinner, p/n 16338. I am not sure why they are not fitting. This spinner goes back to 1976 then it switches over to the 38597 & 38598. I am sorry that I cannot help

Alison Heynderickx

Lead, Technical Support

Customer Service Representative

Blount

Another post I found on another site:

Guys This for a 16338 spinner , directly from Oregon )This tool has been discontinued for some time so I do not have availability of the parts however I do have the part numbers, you may be able to find them off the internet

17063 – take up handle A-B (3/8 – ½ pitch chain)
16393 – take up handle C (1/4 - .325 pitch chain)
16397 – bearing screw
26889 – A anvil (3/8 & .404 pitch chain)
26910 – B anvil ( ½ Pitch chain)
26890 – C anvil ( ¼ - .325 pitch chain)
16987 – anvil handle

Alison Heynderickx
Lead, Technical Support
Customer Service Representative

Thanks for sharing this.

I know that there have been a few variations of this tool: one ‘SAE’, and one ‘metric’. Older ones were made in Italy, and newer ones in China. Might be some more . . .

Several of the parts are not interchangeable - I found this out after scoring a good deal on the 3/4 pitch adapter kit on eBay that did not fit mine.

That said, I’d bet that the thrust bearing itself is a stock / standard size that a bearing supply place could provide, if you knew how to ID it properly.

Sometimes, it is just easier to buy the OEM parts.

Philbert

Thanks for sharing this.

I know that there have been a few variations of this tool: one ‘SAE’, and one ‘metric’. Older ones were made in Italy, and newer ones in China. Might be some more . . .

Several of the parts are not interchangeable - I found this out after scoring a good deal on the 3/4 pitch adapter kit on eBay that did not fit mine.

That said, I’d bet that the thrust bearing itself is a stock / standard size that a bearing supply place could provide, if you knew how to ID it properly.

Sometimes, it is just easier to buy the OEM parts.

Philbert
I have some Homelite crankshaft thrust bearings that I never could identify. I'll probably go that route when mine gives up. It's still working but you can feel the grit of it self-destructing. No complaints, I've spun a lot of chain with it. I never understood the guides on the sides for the chain to lay in. I notice the new ones have v grooves to catch chain and keep it from spinning. You can see the groove in mine from all the chains that spun around as I spun the rivet.

Latest posts

Back