Lube of the Needle Bearings under the Clutch Drum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer_Nate

Better Saws are Better...and Gut that Muffler!
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a kid, I don't remember any of my grandparents, uncles, or my Dad ever lubing the needle bearing under the clutch drum on any saw. I think they did it when I wasn't looking or got by with it because they didn't put enough hours on a saw to ever wear one out.

I have a couple of manuals. One manual says grease the needle bearing weekly.

I have the little grease squirter to inject grease into the end of the crankshaft for this. I give 'er a little squirt every now and then, definitely not weekly.

Is it important to be careful about this as about other maintenance such as chain sharpening? Do they fail a lot? I have never seen one go.

As a kid, I don't remember any of my grandparents, uncles, or my Dad ever lubing the needle bearing under the clutch drum on any saw. I think they did it when I wasn't looking or got by with it because they didn't put enough hours on a saw to ever wear one out.

I have a couple of manuals. One manual says grease the needle bearing weekly.

I have the little grease squirter to inject grease into the end of the crankshaft for this. I give 'er a little squirt every now and then, definitely not weekly.

Is it important to be careful about this as about other maintenance such as chain sharpening? Do they fail a lot? I have never seen one go.
It dont seem to be an issue not greased.

Might matter in wet all the time.

Maybe in really pitchy/sappy stuff also. Maybe in palm. Or if all you're doing is bucking firewood AND making cut after cut after cut, overheating all the components.

I sometimes go months or longer without remembering to grease the needle bearing. Sometimes I do it weekly. I've only seen one or two failed needle bearings (missing one or more needles) and they had signs of heat via discoloration.

Maybe in really pitchy/sappy stuff also. Maybe in palm. Or if all you're doing is bucking firewood AND making cut after cut after cut, overheating all the components.

I sometimes go months or longer without remembering to grease the needle bearing. Sometimes I do it weekly. I've only seen one or two failed needle bearings (missing one or more needles) and they had signs of heat via discoloration.
I go years I might grease it when I put on a new sprocket though.

I go years I might grease it when I put on a new sprocket though.

Maybe the truth is needles bearings can be fragile or prone to defect, so manufacturers warn to grease them to cover their own asses.

I dunno.

I should mention, none of the failed bearings were on any of my main saws; on used saws I picked up.

Same for the end-of-bar hole for bearings on a replaceable tip bar?

Can't excess oil from the chain make to those end-of-bar bearings, or is there a reason to grease those bearings separately? I've never had a bar tip apart to see if there is a seal in there which keeps those bearings away from the chain.

...nor have I greased them very often

Same for the end-of-bar hole for bearings on a replaceable tip bar?

Can't excess oil from the chain make to those end-of-bar bearings, or is there a reason to grease those bearings separately? I've never had a bar tip apart to see if there is a seal in there which keeps those bearings away from the chain.

...nor have I greased them very often
Bar oil lubes the tip. The grease is flung out immediately anyways.
As for the clutch bearing. It only spins when the saw is idling. I don't idle a saw much. I only grease it when I replace a worn out chain. Never lost a bearing. I woukd also as the guys that incessantly grease them to grease and then inspect after a few tanks of fuel. They will most likely be bone dry.

When I used to let someone else work on my saw. My mechanic would grease the needles, when it crossed his bench. I do it myself now and sharpen everything myself. When a saw wears out or I need oil. I guess I will see my dealer again.

It takes me 20 to 30 minutes to get down to my needles. Clean the thing up a bit and put it back together.
Do you changenoil on your truck and grease the ball joints when you see them?
I know what my time is worth. That's a $100 for greasing my saw,and blowing out the gunk and not having crap break. I've never had the carbon build up and score my piston or crud heat up and smoke my bearings.

You do you

I squirt the needle bearings occasionally through the port on the end of the crank. Like others said, though, all that goes away rather quickly when the thing is in use so most times the needles operate with a minimal skim of grease on them...must be enough.

And I get the idea they are only turning at idle, which means low speed and low load.

Thanks y'all. I feel like less of a slacker now.

:)

Latest posts

Back