Ms362cm needles bearing issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastwood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone else have trouble keeping needle bearings in there mtronic 362.I cut mostly hardwood with mine an go through needle bearings every week seems like every 10 to 15 cord I'm replacing them an every 20 cord putting in a new drum seems like a lot to me

Anyone else have trouble keeping needle bearings in there mtronic 362.I cut mostly hardwood with mine an go through needle bearings every week seems like every 10 to 15 cord I'm replacing them an every 20 cord putting in a new drum seems like a lot to me
Those should last many cords or years.

They only spin when the clutch is not engaged.

Well vintage was the winner it seems the crank has been over heated so bad it has wire a groove right in front of the clutch
How did the overheat happen?

I've seen 026 plastic clutch covers start to melt from debris that were never cleaned from the clutch/housing..........

Well vintage was the winner it seems the crank has been over heated so bad it has wire a groove right in front of the clutch
Worn a groove? Pics? The only way to do that is metal on metal and don't see how that's possible without something broken behind the clutch of similar grade of steel as the crank.

Need pics 😁

I'm guessing the oiler broke on the original owner an he just kept running it or he was reving it with the brake on either way I'd say that's why I picked it up for 350$
Unfortunately, that wasn't a deal. Fixing it properly is not cheap in parts and expensive in labor. You have to tear the saw completely apart and replace the crankshaft and connecting rod. For a dealer this is not an economically viable repair. THe saw becones a parts donor.

Others can fill in but there was a rash of MS260? MS261s? that had this same issue. Stihl never admitted anything but there was speculation that these crank shafts somehow escaped the heat treating / hardening part of the manufacturing process.

In any case that is ALWAYS an area to check on a used saw to make sure the crankshaft stub is good and not galled/worn. Live and learn.

Latest posts

Back