HELP - brand new ms200T bogs and stalls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serussell

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a brand new 200T that bogs and stalls when you give it gas. Starts fine, idles fine, but when not warmed up - and you give it gas, it bogs and stalls. I read some other post where there is an air leak down stream of the carb on a lot of new 200ts, how easy is it to fix, is there something I can check myself (JimL ,Stihltech?), I hate running back and forth to the dealer. I have yet to actually use the saw (one cut), I guess I can always return it if it is a big issue? Also have a 191t and a 310, the 200t was suppose to replace the 191t, but the 191t is a much better runner right now – how disappointing.

Other observation is that it acts like it has a lean serge when I first start it, but I am not sure, I did check the idle and fast adj screws and they were set just like the manual said. The Idle speed was good when the saw was warm – but it wanted to take off when I first started it cold. – cold in Orlando is 85F.

Love the saw’s feel and balance, its gotta run right though.

I would bring it back to the dealer and get it checked out before I started messing with it and possibly voiding a warantee. I know it might be a PIA to bring it back to the dealer but at nearly 5 bills for the saw (price here in VA) it should run right from the start without my help.

PS welcome to site and good luck with your saw.

yes, take it back asap....

I've seen pinched fuel hoses from the factory, and pinched impluse. You really shouldn't try to do anything when brand new... these are very labor intensive and if you mess anything up, you'll get stuck with the labor bill at best.

OK, took it back to the dealer today, they took it in the back and started it up, came back out a few minutes later and said they thought the gas was bad and that they had put fresh in it (but they did not have the problem that I had). I let them keep it for 2 hours and came back to start it up cold again. Saw started up and was fine - accelerated good etc right from the start. Brought it home, sawed up a 10" branch that fell that morning during Wilma and it worked and started fine the entire time - even after sitting for an hour or so.

NOW start it after sitting for 2 hours and it wants to idle real fast for a while and will not take gas - warms up for about a minute and all is well - the idle slows down and it takes gas just fine.

Is there some kind of fast idle or auto choke on this thing - not the one on the handle - I know about that. My 191t runs fast when I first start it also, but it takes the gas. Am I asking too much from the saw or do I just not understand the way it operates?

No special choke or anything - should be just like any other saw. You still have a "lean" condition and it's not good. Take it back...

One thing to check - undo the gas cap when it misbehaves. If it clears rapidly, then your tank vent is faulty. Have the dealer check the impulse hose for pinching where it goes though the tank body... and the fuel hose...

...more... I did have one yesterday that I was puting a new tank on. The tank come with the fuel hose factory installed. The hose has an "S" bend in inside the tank, but was stiffer than usual and with the light weight fuel filter on it, didn't follow the edges of the tank when tilted. I've put gas in it overnight to see if the hose gets more flexible... Check that yours has the same problem when full of gas.

..and as Fish says - gas....? Is your gas NEW or was it from the same old can you've had for months?

All,

I am using new gas - stihl oil mix, any theories on why the saw would run so perfectly when warmed up but not so well when first started, I would expect a pinched line to effect it at all times not just start up, is there a chance that it just need to be broke in a little more. Also, for those of you with a 200t, when you first start it, do you keep the revs up for a few seconds, or do you bring it right down to idle, when I was at the dealer, it sounded like they revd it for a few seconds when first started, when I go back I will ask them to let me observe the tech starting it and see what happens.

Get this, if I let it run for 1 second (thats 1 -1thousand) at the fast start setting (one click down from full choke) it runs fine from the start and never looks back, if I release the fast start by tapping the throttle right as the motor first starts, I have to "warm" it up for about 15 sec before it will take gas, go figure. BTW, this is only the case if I have not started it for 2 to 3 or more hours, otherwise it is one pull at the idle trigger setting and I am off and running. This saw is awesome with great balance and power - sorry husky288xp - Stihl rocks. :)

Has anyone used the Rollomatic E LIGHT on this saw, is it worth the reduction in weight??

Latest posts

Back