Help buying a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snakeysnakeplis

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
About I year ago I bought a Husqvarna 137 cahinsaw well it is underpowered and really not big enough for cutting the tree I want to cut. I have been doing lots of research on saws; I really think that buying a Husqvarna or Stihl is the only option. Because I bought a small Husqvarna the first time I do not want to make the same mistake. I have been looking at these Models

Husqvarna
346 xp I am not sure about this one? Yes fast RPMS but lower end Pro model is fast RMS and smaller HP better?

359 same saw basically but more HP?

357 again same saw but again more HP?

Stihl

MS 260 lower end pro model lower HP
MS 361 lots of HP

Ok I want a good saw I know what the price differences are but for a firewood cutter what would you recommend.

A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.

The 359 and 357xp are constructed much in the same way as the 346xp and 353, but they are larger and heavier.
They are also about 1/2 a lb heavier than the MS361, even though Husky states otherwise.

The Huskys in these classes have an outboard cluch, which makes them more or less unsuitable for ripcutting, compared to the Stihls.

I agree with Boston, the MS361 is the saw to get.... :rockn: :rockn:

HUsky 359

Yes I'm pro Husky.I have the 350,455,359,and the362xpg.The 359 is 3.9 Hp and with a 20" bar it is very balanced.(to me 6' tall)Now if you read about muffler mods for this saw you will see you will get a gain of a least 20%.You do the math,but call it .8 HP more.And the mod is very easy to do.Do the mod after about 10 tanks of gas.You will wind up with a saw with 4.68 HP for a reasonable price.
Ed

I'm not really familiar with the 361, but it is highly regarded around here. Of the Huskys, the 357 is by far the quikest, in stock form.

314epw said:
... The 359 is 3.9 Hp and with a 20" bar it is very balanced.(to me 6' tall)Now if you read about muffler mods for this saw you will see you will get a gain of a least 20%.Ed ...
:jawdrop: :taped: I don't know where you got those 20% from, but anyway I don't believe that the 359 takes any better to simple muffler mods than saws in general.

They take better than average to more extensive mods like porting etc, but that is a totally different story....:rolleyes:

The percentage

sawtroll the epa 359's we get here are badly choked and I know that timberwolf displayed some impressive gains from the muffler mod. As far as the percentage of power increase you may be right, but the 20% percent figure may be right also. The only way we have of testing is with cutting times, but a 20 percent decrease in time may be more or less than a 20% hp increase. I would be willing to bet that a muff. mod. of the 359 will bring it real close to stock 357/361 performance. The 359 does hang heavy to me, and if I was picking one all around saw I would go with the 353 but you have a small limbing saw already you may want to go for the 359.

Let us know

buck

Addition origonal thread

thanks guy for the info. one question that I have is RPM's really a big deal? I have contacted many dealers and most of them tell me go with the Husky 346xp because it has the higest RPM rating. Ok is HP or RPM more important?

I love my 346xp, because of it's fast speed it cuts very fast. I use mine for small limbing. I usually keep a 12" bar on it. If you are only buying one saw, I am not sure that it is the way to go. It depends on what you are cutting most. I think you said that your 137 was to small for one particular tree. Tell us about that tree and what you expect to cut in the future and how much you will use the saw. If you think that the 346 is big enough, you may want to consider the Dolmar 5100. It is also a fast saw, weighs only a little more than the 346 and is a larger displacement.

Stihl, Husky, Dolmar are all good saws and should serve you well. Once a better idea of the size saw you need is known, then the guys on this site can explian the pros/cons of each saw in that size.

You may ever want to consider the 455 Rancher. We knock it about being a homeowner saw, but it may be all you need. I prefer to spend a little more for the pro versions, but others prefer to save the money and are happy with the non pro versions.

Let us know how you will use your new saw.

Jim

GASoline71 said:
Without a doubt MS361.

Gary
Agreed! :rockn:

For limbing and small stuff only, the 357xp may be the best saw in the class, but for anything else the 361 is the better and more versatile saw.

RE on origonal

I live in Tok, Alaska I cut mostly or I should say only because we only have 2 kinds of trees here, Aspen and Black Spruce. Most of the trees around here are around 15-25" and trying to cut a tree with my 137 husky is like trying to cut a t-bone stake with a butter knife, I have put brand new chains on it and still it gets bogged down preaty bad. I also want a saw that is going to last me many years I am tired of junk, I am very willing to pay the big bucks to get a great very usefull saw. Ok on the flip side of the coin, I am looking a building a log home and will need this chain saw to cut the logs so again I am looking for a great saw.

I use my saw around 2 times a week that is about 2 cord of wood a week for 9 months.

_________________________________________________________________________________

I used to be disgusted, but now I'm just amused.
www.manbottle.com

I use a 25" bar on my 361, and pull a full skip chain with ease.:biggrinbounce2: I do mostly removals on good sized Doug firs and Hemlocks. Some exceed 30" at the stump. 361 is no prob on these big trees.

A Husky 359 is a decent saw too. But I am particular to the Stihl. However, I do have experience running both saws, and will take the 361 over the 359 any day.

Gary

I'd recommend a 361 as well, but there are already too many happy 361 owners and this is beginning to offend others at an increasing rate...;)

The 359 is most certainly a fine machine for that use as well.

Find a dealer you like. No sense purchasing from someone you never want to see again in your life.

Chaser

Thanks

After Reading all of your Feedbacks I think I know what to buy, I will go with the Stihl MS361

Again thanks for your help

Latest posts

Back