Help choosing a chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua Boyd

Reaction score
Hello to all,

New to the site. I’ve looked around and found a few similar posts, but nothing extremely helpful. I’m looking at buying my first chainsaw. Got some experience, just never owned one myself. Family and friends own a couple in the 14-16” range. With all this wind we just got here in MD there are a couple larger hardwood trees (24” or so) im going to need to break down soon and I figured it’s always a good time to buy a new toy (not a toy, but you know what I’m saying). I’d like something a bit larger than the ones that I could borrow from people I know, I’m just not sure how much bigger to go.

Anyways. Wife’s put me on a budget of $450, though I may be able to push it a little. I was considering the Husqvarna 460 with a 20” bar, as I can get that one for right around $450 online. However, my grandfather is a Stihl guy and strongly advised against the Husky (I’ve read that it’s the Ford vs Chevy argument). Anyways. I’ve looked at a few Stihls as well and the closest one (in price and specs) I can find is the MS 291, though it’s a bit more expensive.

I’ve also read to not bother with the rancher type saws and just bite the bullet and go up to a professional model. Is it really worth the jump in price for a similar powered saw, such as the MS 261?

I’m not necessarily set on 20”, I’d go for an 18”, but I think that’s the smallest I’d want to purchase.

Sorry for the super long post. As you can probably tell, I’m a little scatter-brained about the whole process. Who knew it was so hard to buy a chainsaw. Lol. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Josh

The 460s arent bad but id lean towards the 291. And also lean towards a 18" bar with a 3/8 chain.
I really like 50cc saws with a 18. Handier in the vehicle back of the jeep kinda thing little less weight.

If your willing to go used id recomend a husky 372 stihl460/461 or any 70cc saw. But i dont know if it justify a 70cc saw for 20" stuff.

Good luck

Hey Josh, welcome to AS.

First, I would definitely go for a pro saw of either brand if you can swing it. Another great option is the 60cc echo saws. The 590/600/620s are great saws for the money. A stihl 261 is also a great saw, and quite a bit lighter, but more expensive and less powerful.

Saws aside though, please leave enough room in your budget for safety equipment. A helmet, eat protection, eye protection, steel toe boots, and CHAPS, is there minimum to run a saw safely. Also, be very careful. Claiming up storm damage is particularly dangerous work. Watch as many safety videos as you can, ideally you'd take a safety class, and know your limits. Don't be afraid to call in a pro if you need to.

Take a hard look at an Echo CS-590. Great value at $380 or so to your door.
In a heart beat! If you can somehow figure in the price with how a saw runs then the 590 is at the front of the pack. Do a simple muffler mod and retune the carb and you’ll never look back. It comes with a 20” bar and has no trouble pulling it.

You are looking at "Rancher" models. Nothing wrong with that. Why not just buy the best current "Rancher" saw? The Echo CS590. Save some money AND buy the best constructed, most powerful and versatile "Rancher" saw available today! It can comfortably handle the bigger stuff, and also not be too unwieldy for limbing and such.

Nothing touches it for overall value in the "Rancher " class. Nothing. Less than 400 bucks for a new 60cc proper saw. Go get one. What are you waiting for? Eh?

The best part is, that saw isn't all fancy schmancy electrothingamajiggy complicated.

Your boss has given you a budget. You still need a bunch of money for additional stuff...

Hehe

I bought a Makita 6401 recently (same as Dolmar 6400) and it is awesome. It was $599 and beyond your budget. I used it again today and it just puts a big smile on my face. Quite frankly I may have been just as well served with the Echo 590. Slightly less power but $200 less and echo makes very reliable stuff. I have a 20 year old echo 14" Home Depot model and it still works great. With your stated budget of $450 I would get the a Echo 590 and a couple extra chains and keep the wife happy and have a great saw.

what could that possibly have to do with anything?
Really? It's not that hard to figure out. Let's say I asked this question and 18 out of 20 people told me to get a Dolmar. Okay, that's fine and dandy except the closest Dolmar dealer to me is 300-350 miles away. Why would I want to buy something that I couldn't get serviced locally if need be? Local parts and warranty support would be a good place to start looking, not online.

Thanks for all the suggestions. To answer a few questions. I’ve got multiple Stihl, Husqvarna, and Echo dealers within a 20 mile radius. Perks of living 30 minutes from D.C. I guess.

As far as safety goes. I have a wood shop with plenty of large and dangerous machines. A lot of my safety equipment could be used for chainsawing I’d imagine, though I’ll have to pick up a helmet and some chaps I suppose, not much use for those in a garage shop.

And I think, after reading everyone’s responses and seeing the support for the echo, I am leaning toward the CS-590. Seems like the best deal. Is there a reason to get a 18” over a 20” or vise versa other than personal preference?

I say go to home depot, or other rental shops and see what they carry. Ask them why they picked those particlar models. If you establish a good repour, see if they will be clearing them out soon, or sales coming. Ask them what they think the best saw for your jobs are, take notes on prices, and also scan cyber deals, keeping in mind you should find a local saw shop you like for maintence parts and fluids. There are many great saw deals, but ultimately, the first saw you think of is usually your bias. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, others will all get the job done but you wanna roll it your way in your preferred brand. Totally get to know the great people in this site and reach out, never know who your neighbors are. Arboristsite guys are the most helpful tool in your arsenal, be it info, tech, or what not... Welcome... Enjoy!

If look at the Echo too. I'm looking at them now and they seem to be the best bang for the buck in a small/mid range saw.

Another thing to think about...... Husqvarna is closing out the Jonsered line. They are marking prices way back on the Jonsered saws (same as Husqvarna, just red instead of orange). I just bought a new 2258 Jonsered (555 Husqvarna) for $399. Before the closeout, this saw had a msrp of $619 I believe. The 2258 is the same size saw as the CS-590 Echo, with more HP. If your Husqvarna dealer can't/won't sell one for that price, I've seen one place online that has them for $399 as well. That price is powerhead only, so you'll have to buy a bar and chain, but it's a good deal on a heckuva saw.

Is there a reason to get a 18” over a 20” or vise versa other than personal preference?

Ideally you'd have two saws. That way you can use your backup saw if you pinch the first one or the first one floods or something. But, since that's not gonna work within the limit of your budget, a good alternative is getting two bars. Personally I like to use the shortest bar I can that's practical for the task at hand. For your situation I'd go for a 16" and a 20" bar. The 16" will make the saw feel lighter and more nimble. It's much more enjoyable breaking down tops into firewood length with a shorter bar. I generally prefer a 16" for firewood because I'm usually cutting logs in a pile or on my trailer. The short length makes it easier to avoid my trailer deck or the next log in the stack. Also, bars and chains are cheaper and it's fewer teeth to file when it's time to touch up your chain. Then, when you get into material over 18" or so, you can swap bars if you want.

Really? It's not that hard to figure out. Let's say I asked this question and 18 out of 20 people told me to get a Dolmar. Okay, that's fine and dandy except the closest Dolmar dealer to me is 300-350 miles away. Why would I want to buy something that I couldn't get serviced locally if need be? Local parts and warranty support would be a good place to start looking, not online.

Yup, really.

I just looked yesterday after someone mentioned it here, the Home Depots are selling their ex-rental 6421s right now. I've not ran one but I've heard they will pull a 24" bar if needed, and they cost $322 around here. That would leave room in your budget for a pair of chaps and a couple chains.

Latest posts

Back