Help choosing a used Husky... Pro Saw on a Rookie Budget

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, the 357 is good- but have you run a slightly modded 359 beside it?
They just deliver the power a wee bit differently, both will run a 20 inch bar just fine- but as said above- the 359 is just a wee bit more forgiving, or maybe just a wee bit less demanding of the operator.

No. I own 359's little brother with same cylinder style (late 350), so I am aware of the goodness and difference between it and xp cylinders.

I bet Woodsnake knows a thing or two about running a saw if he cuts nine cords a year. That's good info for him to consider.

If you are really on a budget and want a husqvarna, I would suggest a new 455/460. With that much wood your cutting, you probably encounter some 18-20 inch hardwood trees. So the larger 60 cc x torque will help with that . I'm sure to get flak, but go with a new saw with warranty. The 455/460 may not be the fastest or the sexiest, but they will certainly get the job done. Nothing wrong with buying used pro-type saws, but you are still gambling. For a lot of us, it's no big deal because we have numerous saws already.

Ive been running a 55 husky and an 038 magnum the past 15 years cutting firewood. Never could see a need for a 60cc saw. Ive ran friends and familys stihls 261 361 and 460s all great saws. A month ago I accidentally bought a 3 year old 555 on ebay for $300 and I'm telling ya i cant put the thing down. Its everything you could ask for with a 20inch bar. If this saw ever left me I would find a way to buy a brand new one. If you could get your hands on a 555/562 your family would be asking why you cant stop smiling

Ive been running a 55 husky and an 038 magnum the past 15 years cutting firewood. Never could see a need for a 60cc saw. Ive ran friends and familys stihls 261 361 and 460s all great saws. A month ago I accidentally bought a 3 year old 555 on ebay for $300 and I'm telling ya i cant put the thing down. Its everything you could ask for with a 20inch bar. If this saw ever left me I would find a way to buy a brand new one. If you could get your hands on a 555/562 your family would be asking why you cant stop smiling
555 & 562xp are fantastic saws!!!

If you cut a lot of different diameter trees having one saw might not cover it all. I ran the husky 2100/100 cc, husky 266se, husky 240se. Cutting 50+ cords a year. If I was just a homeowner with limited uses maybe 10 cords and under my choices would be different. Something in a 60 cc or 70 cc class.

I started out with a husky 2100 & a husky 240. I really wanted a 480 to go with the 2100 but ran out of $$$. After a while I got a 266se which did most of my cutting. Till the bigger wood needed cutting.

I gave one son a new husky 460 to replace his 25 yo wild thing. Later I gave him a husky 570. Recently he purchased a new husky 390 Xp for the bigger wood.

I found my other son a used jred 910e excellent condition running for $200. 86 cc.

Man you all are awesome! What do people think of a Jonsered 2260? From what I have read here sounds like a good saw, similar or the same as a 560xp? I just came home from my local saw shop to drop off some chains and asked what he had in the back for used saws he was planning to fix up. No better Huskys but he has a Jonsered 2260 he just rebuilt the top end on, he doesn't know the price yet, so we'll see.

My 2150 works basically fine, and for what I could get for it when I finally buy a replacement I'll likely keep it as a back up. It leaks bar oil out of the fill, and the bar mt bolt that goes in the tank occasionally falls into the tank. I have even made a small wire tool to fish it out/put it back in. What a pain, especially if yer in the field. Now I try to remember to never turn it on it's side. It also won't hold one of the top cover screws for anything, but 2 screws seems to be ok. I also have a small Husky 336, which for a pocket saw is a firecracker. For limbing and whittling down it is a rockstar.

That red 560 may be ideal if it fits your budget. Same as a 562 except it uses the small mount bar (like your saw) instead of the large mount. Of course, the straight handle is different from a husky. Would like to run one myself to see if they are as smooth as everyone describes.

I could go on for a while about my opinion of saws relative to the Husky 55. Not a bad saw, neither is the 029/290 that are very similar in size, power & weight. Of course there are pro saws that cost more and have better power and weight specs but it sounds like you want cheap. I recently picked up an echo cs-490 and I really like it. I've seen them locally for sale new on CL, lots of CS-400s and some 590s as well. I saw a brand new CS-590 in the box for 350. If it were me I'd have bought that saw in a heartbeat. 13.2lb and 3.89HP and can run a 24" bar. If you want a little lighter I'd personally go with the CS-490, or I'm sure there are stihl/husky equivalents, in fact I know there are. The MS250 and the Husky 435, I don't like either of those saws as much though for one reason or another as far as design. I've got a Husky 55 and I put new seals and a new piston & cylinder on it when I got it used and I've never really had a lot of luck with it. Always anemic, never been able to get much power out of it. Maybe it's just a turd and other 55s run better I don't know. I sure like that 490 out of the box though at bout 11lb and right up there in power with the MS250 and you can get it with a 20" bar. If I had to pick just one saw to have, it would be my old 029, an 039/390, or either the 490 or 590 echo, unless you need to hit some pretty big wood but if you are lookin at 55s then sounds like probably not.

You want something dirt cheap to get the job done, find a good running old Pro Mac 610, they are everywhere and have great power for the $ you are likely to pay for it. Heavy as hell though.

I got a deal on an old Husky 288... I've had to put way too much money into parts though and I still don't have it running. Still need to split the case and do a bunch of stuff. A 372 of course if you could find one has great power. It's a lot to lug around all day though, as is the 610 or anything else that heavy. Heck just a 290 blows out my delicate wrists swinging it around all day. I got s****y arthritis though. But then you could just keep going and save up for a 395! My god does that saw have insane power. I've seen a few beat up but running ones go for pretty cheap over the years around here on CL. Just depends on how heavy a saw you want to wave around, how much you want to spend, and how much time you are willing to put into fixing one up I guess.

Man you all are awesome! What do people think of a Jonsered 2260? From what I have read here sounds like a good saw, similar or the same as a 560xp? I just came home from my local saw shop to drop off some chains and asked what he had in the back for used saws he was planning to fix up. No better Huskys but he has a Jonsered 2260 he just rebuilt the top end on, he doesn't know the price yet, so we'll see.

My 2150 works basically fine, and for what I could get for it when I finally buy a replacement I'll likely keep it as a back up. It leaks bar oil out of the fill, and the bar mt bolt that goes in the tank occasionally falls into the tank. I have even made a small wire tool to fish it out/put it back in. What a pain, especially if yer in the field. Now I try to remember to never turn it on it's side. It also won't hold one of the top cover screws for anything, but 2 screws seems to be ok. I also have a small Husky 336, which for a pocket saw is a firecracker. For limbing and whittling down it is a rockstar.

I picked up a used 2260 a couple months ago. I ran a few tanks of gas through it and re-sold it. It ran really nice, lots of power for the weight with excellent throttle response, and a small mount bar. But, I just couldn't get used to the straight handlebar.

@Cliff R probably looks at this pic and sees a money pit. I see dollars. It all depends on where ya start;)
View attachment 772732
I see a dollar sign on every square chip that’s in the exhaust. When it comes to equipment I buy good dependable, quality equipment. And take care of it.

My son has a new jonsered 55 cc from tractor supply and it’s a beast as he says.

Howdy,

I live on a farm where I am the point guy for woodcutting, and we heat 4 households with wood, I'm guessing we go through 8-10 cords of wood a year. I currently have a Husky 336, a completely awesome small saw I use for limbing and medium work, an amazing little saw for it's size. I also have a Jonserud 2150 with a 20" bar I use for bigger work, and it's a plenty decent saw, but I have had a string of issues with it and I'm considering a replacement. I would love a Husky XP model of some sort, but the price is too much for me to justify. I have the option of getting a used Husky 350 for around $150, or a Jonserud CS 2245 for that or a little less. I have read that the 350 is almost an XP model. I have read the 2245 is ok. A man I know who used to run a Husky shop said a Husky 55 is a good older saw to get if you can find on in good shape. I may want to get into a saw I could run 3/8 chain as a mechanic at my local shop said it's more versatile for chains available for faster cutting, something about the rakers I can't recall. I'm a slighter build guy so I don't want a heavy saw, and with how incredible my 336 is I would think the lightest saw I can find with the power I want will suffice, but wanting 3/8 chain may preclude that, but I could certainly go with 325 like I have been. Thoughts and advice please?

Thanks,

Peter.
I loved my old 570 husqy. It ran for 10 years, never had any problems. Id still be using it but it was stolen....im a bigger guy, but it didnt seem too heavy to me.

I ended up buying that 2260 from my local shop, rebuilt, for $350, 20" bar with 3/8 chain. It's the beginning of woodcutting. We'll see how it goes.

Good deal, and thanks for posting. It's always nice to see what people end up with. I've only run those saws a few times, but for the size, they are little hotrods.

For my personal saws, I have and like my 266xp, my 2- 262 xp's my 51 and 55 's and my little Echo's....but the one I reach for the most is a 350 Husky. I find they do better with the .325 instead of the 3/8 chain. My problem is someone always comes along and buys the 350 ...but they are so plentiful and cheap I just go find another....

Well as irony would have it, the 2260 wouldn't idle, and was very hard to start when it quit. I ran it for about 5 hours on premium gas no ethanol with Stihl synthetic (as I always run all my saws) and took it back to the shop I bought it from. The shop owner says it's scored. It ran this way from the get-go. I've known this shop owner a long time and done a lot of business there, so I hope it all comes out well. I'm thinking the best thing is to get my $ back and buy a 562xp new, although I have been considering a 555 as well. When does the 562xp get the new filter and does this really matter? I'm in the middle of woodcutting and need a saw asap.

I ended up buying a new 555 and I love it. I did want a 562xp but couldn't find one anywhere, and they are on backorder for 3 weeks.

And that's something that "enthusiasts" really gloss over. Do you WANT TO BE A SAW MECHANIC or do you just want to cut wood? Me personally, I have NO INTEREST in monkeying around finding ancient parts, fitting Non Oem Chinese parts, diagnosing a crappy running saw, having 5 saws so that I have TWO that actually run 100% on any given outing......I had that for years. I have a job, it pays well, and it's not "Small Engine Repair Guy"......Sold off all the old ones and now plan to just cut wood when I need to. No muss, no fuss...do the job and go on with life, I have other things to do. Do I enjoy cutting wood and wood heat? Sure, it's a relaxing diversion---- but it's not my life.

And that's something that "enthusiasts" really gloss over. Do you WANT TO BE A SAW MECHANIC or do you just want to cut wood? Me personally, I have NO INTEREST in monkeying around finding ancient parts, fitting Non Oem Chinese parts, diagnosing a crappy running saw, having 5 saws so that I have TWO that actually run 100% on any given outing......I had that for years. I have a job, it pays well, and it's not "Small Engine Repair Guy"......Sold off all the old ones and now plan to just cut wood when I need to. No muss, no fuss...do the job and go on with life, I have other things to do. Do I enjoy cutting wood and wood heat? Sure, it's a relaxing diversion---- but it's not my life.
Yup I should have bought a new pro saw years ago with all the wood I currently cut. I don't mind doing light maintenance, but I'm not going to be doing any rebuilding, too busy with other work and family stuff. Plus I got the extended warranty on my 555 so it's covered for 4 years. My little 336 limber is a great firecracker for small stuff and is going strong, bought new and treated well and used a lot. I'll keep my 2150 as a backup pasture mate for the other two.

Back