Help Dumb New Guy!!! Cant Tell The Difference!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JUST4FUN

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
WELL I'LL PROBABLY MAKE THIS STORY LONGER THAN NEEDED. I'M 29 AND JUST MOVED INTO A HOUSE WITH A FIREPLACE, I'M SO EXCITED. I'VE ALWAYS HELPED MY GRANDPA CUT HIS FIREWOOD EVERY YEAR AND WHEN I WAS YOUNGER HELPED AN UNCLE CLEAR SOME LAND SO I'VE USED A CHAIN SAW ON AND OFF EVER SINCE I COULD REMEMBER. THEY ALWAY BEEN OTHER PEOPLES LIKE MY DAD'S OLD HOMELIGHT OR MY GRANDPA'S BIG OLD YELLOW MCCULLOUGH. ABOUT 5 OR SEVEN YEARS AGO I WENT TO SEARS AND BOUGHT MY OWN 42CC CRAFTSMAN AND BOY DID I THINK I HAD SOMETHING SPECIAL! ANYWAY, NOW HAVING MY OWN HOUSE WITH A FIREPLACE I FIGURED I WOULD BY A REAL SAW. I FOUND THIS WEBSITE, (NOW READ IT EVERYDAY, MY NEW WIFE THINKS I'M NUTS) AND DID MY RESEARCH. I WENT TO MY LOCAL STIHL DEALER AND HAD HIM ORDER ME A NEW MS361, HE ONLY CARRIES HOME OWNER SAWS AND AFTER FINDING THIS WEBSITE I THINK I KNOW MORE THAN THEY DO ABOUT STIHL. SO FINALLY HERE'S I WHERE I NEED HELP! I ORDERED 3 LOOPS OF RSC AND 3 LOOPS OF RM CHAIN OFF EBAY. THEY CAME IN 2 SEPARATE CARDBOARD MAILING ENVELOPES, I TOOK THE ENVOICES OUT AND NOW I CAN'T TELL ONE FROM THE OTHER:bang: !!! I NEVER KNEW THERE WHERE SO MANY DIFFERENCES IN CHAIN TILL I FOUND THIS SITE SO I WANTED THE GOOD STUFF NOW. I JUST WANT TO FIGURE OUT WHAT I'M PUTTING ON MY SAW SO I WILL KNOW WHAT I LIKE. WHAT PHYSICALLY CAN I LOOK FOR IN DIFFERENCE. THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANY ADVISE. THIS WEBSITE IS AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to arboristsite!!

Stihl has good pictures of each chain type on their website: Stihl Chain Types

EDIT: In case pictures aren't your thing...some words. As a general rule, if the SIDE of the cutter is rounded as it transitions to the top, you are looking at a semi-chisel (your RM chain) cutter. If the side transitions to the top with a sharp, distinct point, then you're working with full-chisel chain.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! Watch out - it's addictive! :D

I'm sure one of the local experts (that ain't me) will be along to help you, and I'll read and learn myself.

Meanwhile, do us all a favor. Ditch the caps lock. TYPING IN ALL CAPS IS THE INTERNET EQUIVALENT OF SHOUTING. IT'S CONSIDERED RUDE.

See the difference? Much easier on the eyes to read normal type, rather than all caps.

:cheers:

Welcome, and get rid of the CAPS LOCK. Makes me dizzy. :dizzy:

The most obvious difference between those types of chain are the forward points of the cutters.
On the RSC there should be a really sharp point, while on the RM it should be rounded off, more like a curved edge.
If you look at the edge going from the point, and towards the back of the cutter, you will also note that it is slightly rounded off on the RM, while it is not on the RSC.

Btw - welcome here! :cheers:
The others obviously printed faster than me......:biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
Turn up your Miracle Ear, GRANDPA!!

LOL, Caps lock, If I had a dime for everytime I was typin away only to look up and find that somewhere along the line I hit C-Lok, Well.......Umm...... Id have enough dimes to buy another chainsaw!

Welcome aboard J4F!

Just curious where you ordered your 361 from as I am in N Fl as well. A dealer in Palatka has the ms 361 on the shelf for $569.00

manual said:
A little louder please I CAN'T HEAR YA, in Michigan.

attachment.php

:D

74fencer said:
Just curious where you ordered your 361 from as I am in N Fl as well. A dealer in Palatka has the ms 361 on the shelf for $569.00
Good price, same up here, Do your local Stilh dealer a favor and buy it from him.

74fencer, I ordered it from Panhandle Tractor in Marianna Fl. It was $589.99 but they gave my a nice orange hard plastic case no extra charge.

Yes, thats about the average price around this area, from what I hear you will enjoy that saw.:D

RaisedByWolves said:
LOL, Caps lock, If I had a dime for everytime I was typin away only to look up and find that somewhere along the line I hit C-Lok, Well.......Umm...... Id have enough dimes to buy another chainsaw!
You are not alone.....:greenchainsaw:

Copy Cat

Well at least you changed the 1st four letters JUST, jeez. Guess you like the 4fun part eh!
cat_wagtail.gif

Last edited:
Cut4fun, I honestly didn't see you on when I made up a user name but I have to say I like yours alot! My first name is Justin and I figured since I'm not a profesional logger or arborist or anything then I'm really here "JUST4FUN"!!!

Thanks too all of you for the great descriptions and advise. I can't wait to get home to try to distinguish the chains apart. :)

No worries. JUST poking a little ribbing and having fun your way. I am just a homeowner and dont even heat with wood. I really do just CUT 4 fun.
Enjoy and glad to see you posting, seen you here awhile back, but not posting. Hope i can learn from something you have to share with us. Always learning here. Welcome.

I can tell the difference!!!

Well I got home and could tell the rsc had a more squared look to the cutter than the rm. I forgot to mention that I also picked up a stihl 026 off ebay right about the same time I got the 361. I thought I might do some tinkering with it. So I put a loop of rsc on the 361. I put the 361 and the 026 in the back of my trusty 85 chevy 4x4 and headed to my grandpa's farm to cut him some wood. I had cut a few small limbs with the 026 but hadn't used the 361 yet. I started out using the 026 for about a half tank of gas then switched to the 361. Holy Cow, I felt like I was 18 and just got in my 91 Z28 with a tuned port 350. I couldn't stop smiling ear to ear!:D My brother who lives on the farm and my new wife (just got married oct.7) who loves to load fire wood were looking at me like I was crazy. What an awsome saw:D :D :D
Well, thanks again for the help. This was my first time ever posting on a message board, it's been a great experience!!!

Latest posts

Back