help finding limbing saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All said and done 026 and a 029 super and your troubles are over, hands down no ?. STIHL. These 2 can do all the limbing you'll ever want to do, and a fair piece of bigger wood cutting. They will still be alive to work for you for years to come. The End.

Check out the 5100 since you have the 7900 already. For off the shelf saws, you cant beat these 2 as a combo. The 420 has great reviews but I believe it is closer to the weight of the 5100, while the 5100 has much more power. If you don't mind used, a 026 would compliment the 7900 well also. They can be found in the ~$200 range if you look hard enough.

My friend I'm worried about you! What has turned you to the dark side. All this off brand saw talk. Have the girlfriend to take your temp. or something. I'll send LP down to douse you in the creek if that's what's needed to snap you out of this funk you're in. Take 2 Sthils and call me in the morning.
Doctor Possum

All said and done 026 and a 029 super and your troubles are over, hands down no ?. STIHL. These 2 can do all the limbing you'll ever want to do, and a fair piece of bigger wood cutting. They will still be alive to work for you for years to come. The End.

That is the most :monkey::monkey::monkey: post I have seen in a long time.....:jawdrop:

My friend I'm worried about you! What has turned you to the dark side. All this off brand saw talk. Have the girlfriend to take your temp. or something. I'll send LP down to douse you in the creek if that's what's needed to snap you out of this funk you're in. Take 2 Sthils and call me in the morning.
Doctor Possum

LOL!:clap:

attachment.php
attachment.php
I have 3 saws that should take care of all my limbing needs,NE346XP-ported,PS5100SH-stock,336-stock.
attachment.php

Well I knew many would recommend the 346 and I was considering it based on the good reviews it gets. I know this is petty but I think it has an outboard clutch. I would like to stick to the inboard clutches. My experience is my wildthing is a PITA to deal with the chain because of the inboard clutch. I cut for fun.

Seems the 50cc saw is the one recommended. I think that would be the best choice. I just see the weight is only 2-3 lbs lighter than the 7900 and I wonder if that is enough to make it feel light while limbing. On one hand I will use the saw for the 8 inch and under but it might have to cut some bigger stuff if I get my other saw stuck. So I am not sure a 40 cc saw will be enough. I only want to get one. Is dolmar the only company making smaller saws with inboard clutches? Does the 346 come with inboard clutch? I am not sure. I am not oppose to Dolmar but I would like to try a husky.

MS260 I believe has the inboard clutch.
Not as powerful as the 346 or 5100 but lighter and built very well.
For a limbing saw it is an excellent choice.

Much depends on what you consider a limbing saw.

Mike

The 346 has an outboard clutch.I don't think you will have a problem with an outboard clutch.How many times a year do you think you will have to change the rim sprocket?On the 346 with the right clutch removal tool it only takes a few minutes to change drive rims.The 5100 Dolmar has a inboard clutch.On my older husqvarnas with the outboard clutch it took me a couple minutes to change the rim sprocket and all I used was a scrench and a hammer handle.

The problems with the 5100S as a limbing saw is the way it handles, and the comparatively slow trigger response, compared to the 346xp. :)

Awe holy :taped:.:dizzy:

*A conversation between Troll and God*

God: "Troll, who do you believe created earth and mankind?"

Troll: "Easy question God, the husky 346"

:dizzy::monkey::dizzy::monkey:

Doctor Possum

LOL, not sick, haven't bought a Stihl in a while I guess.:D While we know the 026 is a bad A saw, perfect for the limbs, it can't compete with the 5100 out of the box. I prefer my 026s ported though, makes a great saw even better.:clap:

After years of timber thinning jobs for other companies I have had my fill of Stihl saws. For one oufit I worked for I'd go through a 025/250 about every other year of heavy use and another company ran 026/260 Pro's which are still going. WHen I started my own business I had every intention of walking into a Stihl dealer and picking up a 260Pro, but the price tag sent me away empty handed. Needing a 50 cc saw for most of my work I checked out a 5100 at a rental place that supposedly dealt Dolmar saws but the owner was down on them because of some type of engine trouble that he said they had. It was hard to get a coherent statement out of him that wasn't 50% profanity, so I walked out and in desperation went to TSC and got a Husky 450 for ~ $370 and I must say that is one fine saw for limbing and the thinning jobs I do for a living. I can only imagine how the 346 would handle because with no adequate dealer support in central IL, that pretty much rules out Husky and Dolmar for my work saws. So back to the Stihl dealer I went, this time to look at Echo saws which they also sell and service, and also highly regard so I bought a couple and I haven't looked back. Their 530 with a 16 on it is every bit the saw the 260 is and then some and has become my primary saw (450 as backup) for limbing/cutting up to 10" dia. tree wich make up the bulk of my work while my 680 handles occasional larger trees and firewood cutting. After a carb tune to lean them out, they run and cut like banshees. Hard to say if they'll last like the 260's but they look and feel well-built so I guess I'm gonna find out.

A limbing saw is anything smaller than an 084 with a 36" B&C. Therefore the only choice is the 026 and 029S, cause they are the only ones worth there salt. Use um abuse um they just keep on doing to it. STIHL rules.

I will have to admit my looney son has about as many of them orange things as I do Stihls. I grab one once in awhile and use it to make me really love my Stihls that much more. Nasty things. Ugly.

I am real anxious to get over to Danrclem's and let him use it for a little while.
I believe he will be porting a 401 in short order.

If you want to get together sometimes let me know. It can be your place or mine.

I've debated about porting my 359 but I don't know if I can bring myself to do it. I have to wonder how much those extra rpms may shorten the lives of these saws. The 401 should be able to handle it because it doesn't turn high rpms stock.

346xpOE or 346xpNE?

are you guys saying the 45cc 346xpOE will run circles around all the 026 models?

from what I have read on here, the 346OE is good, but not as good as a 026.

now the 346xpNE is a whole different animal! You can't talk about them in the same sentence...

Back