Help for a newbie - which Stihl chainsaw for occasional milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well thats good news. The low number of chainsaw injuries that is. The other, not good. I hate to see people get hurt.

We just had an "idiot" 18 year old kid, in the area, poor 5 gallons of gas over a brush fire that he had already tried to start. He was on top of the pile while pooring the gas. Well thankfully someone was there to put him out when he hit the ground, and only 1/2 of his body is 3rd degree burns. Makes me sit here and shake my head. I feel real bad for him, yet all I can think is ...he needs a sign

if I'm reading the 1st post right, and I think I am, he has no need for a saw as large as an 066. He was using an electric chainsaw to cut firewood and occasionally mill. This is as occasional as you can get. The step from an electric chainsaw to an 066 is a HUGE step, and most likely not a safe step. I would not recommend an 066 to anyone who was previously using an electric chainsaw to cut their wood. Judging from the pm's he and I have exchanged, he wants a saw for general chainsaw work, that can be used to mill a few times a year. If he was milling with an electric chainsaw, most any gas chainsaw is going to seem amazing

I know what you mean. I wasnt alluding to him getting a large saw. Merely pointing out I got a used running 066 for $250. The same good deals are on smaller used saws too.

I know what you mean. I wasnt alluding to him getting a large saw. Merely pointing out I got a used running 066 for $250. The same good deals are on smaller used saws too.

yes they are. You just need to be patient. My new to me favorite milling saw is my $16.25 pioneer holiday. $1.25 winning bid, $15 shipping. I got it, modded a husky 24 inch bar I had, to fit it, gassed it up, and started milling. Gotta love the deals if you are patient.

Of course I prefer older saws for milling. On the hoilday and my macs, the muffler is pointing to the ground, not blowing in my face. The torque more than makes up for the lack of displacement. To each his own.

I was reading your post like the typical chainsaw forum post. You know the type of post. A guy wants to buy his first saw to cut down one tree, and most everyone replies ms361 with a muffler mod, and a 346xp for limbing. Makes me laugh, the guy wants to cut up one tree. Seems on the milling forum, the general consensus is you just can't mill if you don't have an 066 or a 395. On the same note, my local sawmill thinks I must be nuts to be milling with a chainsaw. Says I'm wasting my time.I need to buy a $5000 bandmill according to him. Its all in how you look at it and what you enjoy.

yes they are. You just need to be patient. My new to me favorite milling saw is my $16.25 pioneer holiday. $1.25 winning bid, $15 shipping. I got it, modded a husky 24 inch bar I had, to fit it, gassed it up, and started milling. Gotta love the deals if you are patient.

Of course I prefer older saws for milling. On the hoilday and my macs, the muffler is pointing to the ground, not blowing in my face. The torque more than makes up for the lack of displacement. To each his own.

I was reading your post like the typical chainsaw forum post. You know the type of post. A guy wants to buy his first saw to cut down one tree, and most everyone replies ms361 with a muffler mod, and a 346xp for limbing. Makes me laugh, the guy wants to cut up one tree. Seems on the milling forum, the general consensus is you just can't mill if you don't have an 066 or a 395. On the same note, my local sawmill thinks I must be nuts to be milling with a chainsaw. Says I'm wasting my time.I need to buy a $5000 bandmill according to him. Its all in how you look at it and what you enjoy.

I hear ya. Ive never been one to suggest more saw than someone needs. I couldnt imagine milling with anything less than a 660 sized saw, but Im also almost always into hardwood.

if I'm reading the 1st post right, and I think I am, he has no need for a saw as large as an 066. He was using an electric chainsaw to cut firewood and occasionally mill. This is as occasional as you can get. The step from an electric chainsaw to an 066 is a HUGE step, and most likely not a safe step. I would not recommend an 066 to anyone who was previously using an electric chainsaw to cut their wood. Judging from the pm's he and I have exchanged, he wants a saw for general chainsaw work, that can be used to mill a few times a year. If he was milling with an electric chainsaw, most any gas chainsaw is going to seem amazing

These are good points. When I got my 394, I'd been using saws in the 50-60cc size for years, and was completely blown away! However, even though there's a big jump with a gas saw, there will be a need for something capable of handling a 3/8" sprocket so that you can use LP ripping chain. I am one to always have a little more than necessary, but certainly realize that other people make do with what is adequate. In this case, I have to join the bandwagon with those saying get the biggest you can possibly afford. You're going to burn out a small gas saw even with LP chain and 16" logs. If this is what you have to do, you need to let it idle for a minute or two minimum before turning it off, and probably let it cool down for a while in between boards. I think an older 036, 044 or larger would be a smart choice for planning ahead, and can be found for less than $300 or so on ebay. I'm pretty sure there's a 372XP for sale in the trading forum for less than $400.

Oh well ...

I just got myself a used 044 with a 20" bar on ebay for $300. The seller appears reputable.

Hope it all works out ... :D

I'll be back often with many questions for you guys, you have been most helpful :bowdown:

A classic Stihl saw, pro level too, we'll be here to help, if you need saw specific assistance, post your question in the CHAINSAW forum, lots of traffic in there.

Now, how are set on PPE?

Ppe

Personal Protective Equipment. Need some things like hearing protection. (Ear plugs, Ear Muffs or Both) Safety Glasses, hard hat, chaps. Protect your body. I just got a Peltor Hardhat with face shield, and Ear muffs for like $40 from Bailey's. Well worth the money. I love the face shield, and its greeat having the hearing protection handy.

Personal Protective Equipment. Need some things like hearing protection. (Ear plugs, Ear Muffs or Both) Safety Glasses, hard hat, chaps. Protect your body. I just got a Peltor Hardhat with face shield, and Ear muffs for like $40 from Bailey's. Well worth the money. I love the face shield, and its greeat having the hearing protection handy.

Very good point, I had only used ear muffs and safety glasses so far. I saw a Stihl hard hat with face shield (perforated metal) and ear muffs for $50 at the local Stihl dealer. I'll check out Bailey's. Do I need to wear safety glasses under that ?

About the chaps - how important are these ? How much extra protection do they offer offer over POB (plain old blue-jeans) ?

I don't currently have chaps. I'm getting a used pair from a friend. It always scares me when i'm standing behind the mill and I see a big chain spinning. If the chain breaks, its gonna come right across my thighs. The difference between blue jeans and chaps i'd say will be pretty important if that happens. The chaps are made to withstand chain contact, your jeans will likele provide no protection at all. Probably won't be a problem, but people have on rare occasion broken chains, For $50 i'd say its well worth that little bit of change.

It'll be a challenge when ya gotta water a tree.:hmm3grin2orange:

Here's what sucks about milling, fine dust that you are in close proximity to, in your eyes, up your nose and in your lungs and belly, also the fumes, probably a good idea to keep that out of your body, not to mention any fungi/mold spores that are on/in/under the bark. So a paper disposable mask would help considerably, some of the respirators solve more issues, and keep your eyes clean.

Chaps, I wear mine for safety, the saw is running when I put it on my guide board and start cutting, and when I take it out of the cut at the end, then it sits and idles for a minute to cool off. I'd hate for the saw to accidentally get in a runaway situation while my thighs are that close.
I also wear them for added comfort if I'm kneeling as I cut, and it keeps my clothes cleaner when I'm done.

After yesterday and the wind swirling around me, even the mesh screen didn't stop my eyes from getting full of crap, and with wearing glasses the paper masks cause fogging, so I will be looking into a fresh air respirator soon.

That Triton deal looks like the ticket, and depending on the VDC requirements, it couldn't be too hard to adapt a replaceable/exchangeable battery pack from a cordless tool.

I've run other devices on my tool batteries without a problem, there's a way if a guy wants to be creative.

My other thought, is that the mfg, wants to limit how many hours a user wears the system, so they limit the battery life to 4hrs continuous, and overnight charge time, the user's neck, back, get a break from the weight, less liability.

Thinking outloud.

I loved the pic of the diving suit. I was a deepsea diver back in the 70's and had a friend that put a suit like that in his yard. He lived in a town called Raceland just east of New Orleans on old hwy 90. Had another friend that wore a hat like that to dive in. Not the suit, just the hat. Because of the freeflow system it had, it worked great up to 180'. He had to change to a hat with a mouth piece when we went on gas. It was a PITA to clean.
On the respirators, I find the battery kind gets in the way. Gotta have a belt pac and hose that is always hung up on something. I use a bandanna that I keep wet and it doesn't get in the way of my safety glasses. Love the chaps in brush.
As for as the smallest saw, I have no clue how small you can go. I know I've used a MS310 on the Logosol M7 when my big saw was down and it worked pretty well. Had a 20" bar and reg chain and it worked OK. Just wouldn't want to use it a lot.
Rodney

Very good point, I had only used ear muffs and safety glasses so far. I saw a Stihl hard hat with face shield (perforated metal) and ear muffs for $50 at the local Stihl dealer. I'll check out Bailey's. Do I need to wear safety glasses under that ?

About the chaps - how important are these ? How much extra protection do they offer offer over POB (plain old blue-jeans) ?

Chaps might just save your life. I didn't ever wear them as a teenager, but after the last year or two using them, I won't cut without them. There's a good video available done by a private company, using Labonville chaps. Search for chaps video, or something like that. After seeing that video, you'll never ask if chaps are necessary again. Really. I also wear steel toed boots. My dad had a close call when I was a kid. I feel like I can't be too careful. I just know that it only takes a split second, and if you saw long enough, something might happen sooner or later. I want to increase all the odds I can to protect myself when that incident might happen, but hopefully it never does. I never saw when I'm tired or hungry, and certainly never with any alcohol. Saws are dangerous. Bottom line, be careful.
On that note, I'll change to......hope you enjoy the new saw. Congratulations!! :rock: :rock: :rockn:

Hello everybody,
I'm pretty much a FNG when it comes to all this milling stuff.
I have been hanging around a while but haven't posted because I have had nothing to add and figured why clutter the posts. But I have become more knowledgeable because of the time spent and would like thank everybody for all of the info and insight.
The reason I decided to open my yap is that I saw Pauster is from Glen Cove and I am over in Sea Cliff, one town over and wanted to say hello.
This area isn't exactly a haven for milling and chainsaws.
So again, hello to all.

I have been hanging around a while but haven't posted because I have had nothing to add and figured why clutter the posts.

One mans "clutter" is another mans insight and good post, so don't be afraid to chime in with questions and comments. yup... this place is a gold mine of info if you take the time to use the search engine. Welcome to AS

Latest posts

Back