Help How thick is a standard .050 gage bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One I checked was .1875 or 3/16"

Thank you Mike this info is most apreciated mate , I only have .063 gage bar's , but am looking into what I can use to run .050 low pro on my MS660 for milling . Once again thank's mate . Cheer's MM

Thank you Mike this info is most apreciated mate , I only have .063 gage bar's , but am looking into what I can use to run .050 low pro on my MS660 for milling . Once again thank's mate . Cheer's MM

Be aware that the lo-pro requires different sprockets (and bar) than the standard 3/8" ones.

Take a look at this tread.

Last edited:
Be aware that the lo-pro requires different sprockets (and bar) than the standard 3/8" ones.

Take a look at this tread.

Thank's SawTroll I have already read that thread and added some coment's , just trying to get more info , I have some standard rim sprocket's ,one of which is an 8 tooth 3/8 and my .043 gage chain seem's to fit very nicely as a couple of other source's said 3/8 is 3/8 , but there seem's to be a lot of differing opinion's out there . Thank's very much for your help . Cheer's MM

The bars are not all the same thickness from company to company and some use the thin stock up to a certain length then jump thicker. In 16" the GBs I have are the .187 mentioned but the Oregon and Windsor are a fair bit thicker. The bar thickness should not be a limiting factor to run the low pro at least not till you get down to the very last of the chain where the teeth are narrower. It would not be very forgiving though if the chain was cutting off to one side.

If you are running 3/8 lo-pro on a 92 cc saw be careful of your feed-speed. This is not strong chain. It is obvious you are looking for a smaller curf to save wood, just wear chaps or make a deflector or something in case you break a chain. Cheers, Simon.

Back