Converting .050 bar to .058??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redhawk23

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi, I just discovered the backup bar i bought years ago is a .050 and my chain is a .058. What can I do? Can I run a .050 chain? Can I have the bar modified?

If it matters it’s for a Husky 555.

Thanks

If the bar is same tail mount and same pitch you can run .050 chain in it with no issues.
back in the old days you could open the groove up with a “bar shop“ grinder with .058 grinding wheels. Pretty expensive and rare to do that now

Now you have different chains that are close to the same gauge to worry about mixing up. It's a pain, and hard to tell visually the difference between the two.
Hence why I say, just get another bar.

Hi, I just discovered the backup bar i bought years ago is a .050 and my chain is a .058. What can I do? Can I run a .050 chain? Can I have the bar modified?

If it matters it’s for a Husky 555.

Thanks
Unless bar is extremely worn and 050 is sloppy, then get a 050 chain will be cheapest; if bar is old/ worn out, chain sloppy, have read of some that extended bar life by being able to run 058 if without chain binding. Good Luck

Back