Help! Husqvarna 266SE band brake issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloopnek

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all,

First off, thanks for being here, it's been helping out a whole bunch, especially if you're a nostalgic fool and too stubborn to buy a new saw ;).

Nonetheless, ran into an issue where the interwebs is unable to give me a straight answer. Recently bought a Husqavarna 266SE, runs fine, bit of wear on the cylinder&piston, but that 's for later concern.
I'm almost breaking the internet in trying to figure out if the band brake (new production) part no. 501 83 02-01 (501830201) actually fits, because the new part looks waaaaayyy different.
Would be a shame if I'd order abroad and find out it would only be useful to use as a coat hanger.

I've attached pics of the brake cover and serial no. Help! Help!

Attachments

• IMG_0603.jpg
    IMG_0603.jpg
    908 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0602.jpg
    IMG_0602.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
The 61, 66, 266 brake band for the metal brake handle is no longer available. The one posted above is the right one. I could not find one so another member here made some for me a while ago in exchange for an old style cover. The other option is to upgrade to the plastic handle one from the 272xp.

Ah good to know the brake bands for 61, 66 and 266 (se) with metal flag are similar. Thanks a lot!

Best of wishes and may 2018 bless you with gentle purring two-strokes!

That brake handle/flag is installed incorrectly on the clutch cover. Should look like my 266,

IMG_1970.jpg

I've tinkered (read: fought) with it to see if and how i could change it's position. The allmighty internet did get me a straight answer. (Just to note, it's not on the brake right now.)

I've tinkered (read: fought) with it to see if and how i could change it's position. The allmighty internet did get me a straight answer. (Just to note, it's not on the brake right now.)

The pict of my saw above, the brake is not in the on position. These brake flags/handles have proven quite difficult for others to install also, the inner connections are very tedious for some.

I got the flag in separate from the brake cover.

Followed the instructions, but got a little weary after 500 times.

Pic attached, still battleing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
Looking up inside the flag, youll see the end of a big spring sticking down. The end of that spring has to go in the little gap that is made between the forward part of the “knee joint” and the brake cover itself. You sort of need to roll it in from front to back, have the pivot sleeve thingy ready and put it in. These things are brutal to disengage the first time, when you assemble it the brake is engaged and since theres no clutch drum there its slightly past where it wants to be. Just choke up on that handle a bit and itll disengage.

I’ve gone pro taking these apart by now . Still, it’s a mystery. The ‘on’ position seems allright, but ‘off’ is still touching the wrap bar. It (dis)engages fine but no knuckle room.
Guess I’m going to my nearest Husq dealer and compare it to a new 272xp brake, if I know more i’ll holler back.
Thanks anyway, this stuff makes for good informative reading

I will call in a fellow I know that has also worked over a bunch of these saws, @Cantdog

LOL!! I hate those things!!!......I truly believe the only way to get those assembled correctly involves some type of magic. I've taken to buying the China setups....I paid $17.00 each...delivered...the whole unit, cover, band and flag all assembled....cheaper than buying a new band and certainly less grief than assembling one. I was skeptical but they bolt right on and worked great.....I have a 266Xp with one and have three out on full time wood cutters saws and they haven't broken one yet......and those saws live in the back of the truck when they aren't running and cutting.....they'll likely be digging them out of the snow this morning to do another days work.

LOL!! I hate those things!!!......I truly believe the only way to get those assembled correctly involves some type of magic. I've taken to buying the China setups....I paid $17.00 each...delivered...the whole unit, cover, band and flag all assembled....cheaper than buying a new band and certainly less grief than assembling one. I was skeptical but they bolt right on and worked great.....I have a 266Xp with one and have three out on full time wood cutters saws and they haven't broken one yet......and those saws live in the back of the truck when they aren't running and cutting.....they'll likely be digging them out of the snow this morning to do another days work.

Its been a while since I did up the last bunch of 394`s where I had to replace bands on 4 of them, did the 288 for the kid next door, did 3 handles and bands for my cutting buddy Doug on his 266`s. The first one was a bit puzzling but once I figured out the way that handle rolls back into position and the pivot goes in the rest was much easier. Getting the big cocking spring in the cover was easier than attaching that handle.

Back