Help I.D chipper I just purchased

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hotrodder

Reaction score
This is my first post. I've been lurking for some time and really enjoy the the forum and all the knowledge here!

I just purchased an old drum chipper and would appreciate any help with identification (brand, approximate age, etc.).

It has an AVCO 4 cyl industrial diesel engine, Borg Warner/Rockwell PTO. It's an oldie and is using some oil but runs smooth. Chips great! Needs a choke cable and probably a starter as I had to jump across the solonoid with a screwdriver to get her started.

I have some tree clearing to do on a large residential lot and am looking forward to putting the chipper to good use. I was expecting to have to rent a chipper for about 4-5 days but lucked into this for $800! I think I made out!?
Would appreciate any help with I.D. and where to get parts such as a starter, eventual drive belt replacement, etc. NAPA fuel and oil filters on it now have part#'s and I'll change those out along with the oil.

I don't think the CARB ruling applies to residential or private use. Only commercial, and I understand that whole program is in jeopardy.

Thanks for your replies. I searched around the net and found a very similar Fitchberg so I think that may be what it is. I gather Fitchberg has gone the way of the Studebaker?
As far as CARB, I figured it's legal enough for my yard. We'll see how CARB goes in Ca.-and if other states/Feds follow. I figured it was well worth $800 considering I'd have at least half that lost out to renting one.
It's a dinosoar, but does function great and has new tires. Figured it's worth $800 without an engine. If the engine goes south, maybe I'll drop a new one in and go into business?
Any ideas on where to find a repair manual for one?

Thanks for your replies. I searched around the net and found a very similar Fitchberg so I think that may be what it is. I gather Fitchberg has gone the way of the Studebaker?
As far as CARB, I figured it's legal enough for my yard. We'll see how CARB goes in Ca.-and if other states/Feds follow. I figured it was well worth $800 considering I'd have at least half that lost out to renting one.
It's a dinosoar, but does function great and has new tires. Figured it's worth $800 without an engine. If the engine goes south, maybe I'll drop a new one in and go into business?
Any ideas on where to find a repair manual for one?

My first chipper was a Fitchberg and they're as good as any of the chuck and ducks but I think the knife changing is much more difficult.

They have you adjust the knife to the bed knife as opposed to the other way around and each knife pocket has an adjuster in the back (2x) to push or retract the knife in relation to the bed knife. Air tools speed things up.

I have one almost identical. but no idea what brand

One of the meanest chippers I've seen.
Keep the clutch tight and it'll really chip upto about 8" trees.
I seem to have trouble with my injection leaking down if I don't start it regularly but then I just prime it with starting fluid.

Please let me know if you find where to get parts.

It has an AVCO 4 cyl industrial diesel engine, Borg Warner/Rockwell PTO. It's an oldie and is using some oil but runs smooth. Chips great! Needs a choke cable and probably a starter as I had to jump across the solonoid with a screwdriver to get her started.

Choke cable for a diesel?

Pictures are of a diesel

or likely he meant the 4 cyl ford indust. 172 engine most of these had.

That is a diesel engine in his pictures. Identical engine to mine. Wish I new the engine make of it.

Really neat thing about them is it is air cooled throgh a oil cooler. No radiator or water and they do not seem to run hot at all.

Also unbelieveable power compared to the 4 cylinder ford motors.

That is a diesel engine in his pictures. Identical engine to mine. Wish I new the engine make of it.

Really neat thing about them is it is air cooled throgh a oil cooler. No radiator or water and they do not seem to run hot at all.

Also unbelieveable power compared to the 4 cylinder ford motors.

Sperry/New Holland put Deutz diesels that were air/oil cooled in some older skidsteers back in the 80s. Maybe your engine is a Deutz?

lp I.D chipper I just purchased

"He probably meant throttle lock or fuel shut off ". Yes.

A buddy took a look at it. Said it looked to be a Deutz-German made oil/air cooled diesel. said it'll run forever. Has a starter problem. We had to jump across the solenoid with a screwdriver. Even with that it sometimes only spins the starter drive w/o engaging the Bendix. He recommended a local auto/truck electrical rebuild shop where they do repairs on site. Unless amyone has a national parts source for industrial starters?
Plate on unit states AVCO-Italy and Houston.

looks really similar to an old Wayne chuck and duck that i used to run, im pretty sure as others have said that it is a duetz on it too. they were pretty reliable old engines. just dont get them hooked on heroin ( starting fluid ) once they shoot once they want it every time. ( we were working in near 0° temps) its hard to tell for sure without being there in person to look at it.

Back