Help ID a chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dman7

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello

I need help IDing a chain on my saw. I bought a used Husky 61 with a 20" bar. The chain on it says Husqy and then a small stamp on each tooth that looks like "HS25". I want to sharpen this chain but I need to buy the right size files. Can someone help with this? Thanks.

Hello

I need help IDing a chain on my saw. I bought a used Husky 61 with a 20" bar. The chain on it says Husqy and then a small stamp on each tooth that looks like "HS25". I want to sharpen this chain but I need to buy the right size files. Can someone help with this? Thanks.
What does the bar say..??

Likely 3/8" pitch and so a 7/32 file is what you would use...

If for some reason it's .325 pitch...then you would use 3/16 file
:cheers:
J2F

Hello

"HS25" on the cutters doesn't make any sense to me. :confused2:

I wonder what you mean by tooth in this case - if it was H25 chain, it should just say "25" on the drivers - and if it says "25" on the rakers, that is just the recommended raker setting.....

How about a close-up picture?

Last edited:
Take a picture of the numbers on the base of the bar.

It should say something like:

20"

3/8

.050 or .058

72 DL

I'm guessing you have a .050 gauge 18" 3/8 pitch bar. To be 100% sure, mark one link with a sharpie or grease pen and count them. If you have 68 links, it's a 18" bar.

68 links
.050 gauge
3/8" pitch

Looks to have semi chisel chain on it now and it's a good all around choice to stick with.

Thanks TT

but can I mix a 3/8" pitch bar with a chain that is supposedly .325?

Denis

I'm guessing you have a .050 gauge 18" 3/8 pitch bar. To be 100% sure, mark one link with a sharpie or grease pen and count them. If you have 68 links, it's a 18" bar.

68 links
.050 gauge
3/8" pitch

Looks to have semi chisel chain on it now and it's a good all around choice to stick with.

you need to worry about the number stamped on the drive link of the chain, that's what determines what size chain it is, not what the bar is "supposed to be". Tons of times I've seen saws used with 050 chain on 058 bars and 058 chain on 063 bars and etc.

But yes that is 3/8 chain. 7/32 is the recommended size, although since stihl recommends 13/64 on their 3/8 chain, that's what I use, and it gives a little more "hook"

You can interchange 3/8 and .325 on a saw, but you have to change the rim, or spur sprocket on the saw and the corresponding sprocket on the bar... I personally don't use any .325 chain...

Thanks for helping sort this out.

I think this chain is going to get parked instead of sharpened for now.

Thanks for helping sort this out.

I think this chain is going to get parked instead of sharpened for now.

No need to park it, your local saw shop will sharpen it for you. It typically costs $5 to $10 if you bring it in off the saw.

learning to file properly will save you lots of time and money in the long run too.

That chain looks like Husky branded 70-series LG (3/8"), unless it isn't chisel chain (can't really see that for sure in the pics). Find the number that is on the drivers (the parts that go into the chain), and it could be ID'ed for sure.

The "25" just is the recommended raker setting, and is no help regarding the ID.

Last edited:
Ok problem solved. I removed the chain and tada...it says 47 underneath. So it's the h47 chain, 3/8 pitch.

Thanks to all. Great bunch!

My next post will be about sharpening, because a bought a file and guide, sharpened it, and it still seems like its make sawdust as opposed to the nice big strips it made when it was new.

H47 is 72LGX now, and was 72LG earlier, .050 gauge (72 is .050, 73 is .058, 75 is .063).

The Husky numbers tell exactly what chain it is, the Oregon ones just tell the pitch and gauge, and if it has full size cutters or lower ones.

Back