Help identifying this dead tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junkyard_sal

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
There are some standing dead trees near my house on county/city land that I can drop myself or get the city to drop.

One is a not fully dead locust
0dcd828526f6515c4317ec960c2dfa17.jpg

I don't know what the other one is:

9bcff4690ebe05f1ecde5765fd4842d7.jpg

This leaf is near the second tree
f495008426d77b06723a9dbeb574135c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Maryland? Red maple is not great firewood but sugar maple is good wood. I hate dropping it, bucking it, taking space in my rack for substandard wood

Maryland, you say? Always helps to have a location. The bark looks like it could be a maple, but that leaf looks like it could be sycamore. If the tree is dead, there may not be any leaves from it. What about twigs, branches? Showing any opposite branching? If not, it won't be a maple.

At certain stages, some oaks or hickories and others can look kind of like that. Also, what are the chances, being city/county land, that something non-native could have been planted there?

Maryland, you say? Always helps to have a location. The bark looks like it could be a maple, but that leaf looks like it could be sycamore. If the tree is dead, there may not be any leaves from it. What about twigs, branches? Showing any opposite branching? If not, it won't be a maple.

At certain stages, some oaks or hickories and others can look kind of like that. Also, what are the chances, being city/county land, that something non-native could have been planted there?
The bark dont look like Sycamore I say Sugar Maple check it out.
http://www.mntca.org/acer-saccharum-sugar-maple-id-card/

I was hoping for shag bark hickory but the leaf is wrong

It's definitely not a shagbark. Both the leaf shape and bark look like some kind of maple though. Even if it's soft maple, it still burns good. Similar to Elm or Cherry. My first cord this year was silver maple, and I have another cord of it drying for next year. If I could get it for free, I'd definitely take it.

Well plan to take the locust first. And I know if some red oak. Then I can deal with this tree

To quote some others on here, " it will burn better than a snowball" it looks like sugar maple to me. I cut a big one down fall of 2014. Haven't burned it yet but it seems best to split it right away after cutting. It loses quality fast if sitting in big round form.

I seem to need to clarify what I was saying.

"The leaf looks like it could be (from a) sycamore. If the tree is dead, there may not be any leaves from it (around)."

I was not suggesting the tree could be sycamore.

Opposite branching would rule in or out some possibilities.

Its hard to tell with the leaf with it all dry and wilted up but pretty sure its sugar maple. Also looks like silver maple. But that leaf could've come from anywhere.

I don't see that being maple of any kind by the bark. Also I see multiple leaf species on the ground blurred begind the close up.

Latest posts

Back