Help identifying this dead tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JeffGu

JeffGu

Antagonist/Heckler
No, it's not silver maple...

silver-maple-bark.jpg

...more likely sugar maple...

sugar-maple-bark.jpg

maple-leaves.jpg

Leaves can vary quite a bit with maples, even among the same species... leaves nearby look like sycamore, though. Bark low on a sycamore can look like that, but it would be real different going higher. I guess if you cut it down, you'll know. It won't cut or burn like maple, that's for sure.

benmyers

benmyers

ArboristSite Operative
I was going to say Norway Maple. We have some of those here in Indiana. Leaf can look a lot like that especially when the tree gets large.

If so, it is hard wood and should burn great.

bitzer

bitzer

******** Timber Expert
Soft maple. No doubt about it. Either red or silver. Guessing red. I've spent months in swamps cutting just soft maple. It can have many different bark types from real smooth to real shaggy and everything in between. The form of the tree really pegs it for me.

bitzer

bitzer

******** Timber Expert
Here's some of what I believe is sugar maple. Been undercover for 14 months, looks like the day I put it in. I just threw a couple pieceView attachment 477385 View attachment 477386 s in the stove and it burns good. I was gonna sell this, that's why it's split on the smaller side. Fireplace user's like it that way. I decided to burn it myself, I have a over a cord.
Yes thats hard(sugar) maple.

VA 372xp

VA 372xp

ArboristSite Guru
What kind oak green in the winter
4458dfc91df1a987d43bd6aebcd9aab4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Junkyard_sal

Junkyard_sal

ArboristSite Lurker
I had to take 5 down that got their top snapped in the 09 mid Atlantic blizzards. The tops were on my roof. I burned some and gave most away to the guys helping me take the trees down. It is good for starting a fire. It burns quick and hot

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VA 372xp

VA 372xp

ArboristSite Guru
I had to take 5 down that got their top snapped in the 09 mid Atlantic blizzards. The tops were on my roof. I burned some and gave most away to the guys helping me take the trees down. It is good for starting a fire. It burns quick and hot

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah I thought it burned very well, drys quick

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts