help identifying this firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems as though the majority says ELM , it's been down since spring , it'll sit in wood tent until moisture content is reasonable, thanks all

Just as a warning it't probably not going to get any easier to split and will dry very slowly in round form.

Absolutely won't get easier to split. I have seen bone dry dead elm that could not be split with a big hydraulic splitter or a Super Split SE. Wish I had a video of the Super Split going at it. It was like trying to split cable. Had to noodle every single piece. The rounds were not that big either, beginning at about 8" and up.

Absolutely won't get easier to split. I have seen bone dry dead elm that could not be split with a big hydraulic splitter or a Super Split SE. Wish I had a video of the Super Split going at it. It was like trying to split cable. Had to noodle every single piece. The rounds were not that big either, beginning at about 8" and up.
I got into some 8" or so elm logs that had been cut then covered for a few years and were bone dry. Saw had a heck of a time bucking them and then splitting was unreal.

Sure looks like American elm to me.
No too bad for firewood. But lik everyone else says heck to split. Splitting maul bounces off. Had an axe jump out and come down on my hand. Opened it up pretty good. Superglue held it together until I could get stiches. I now cross my hand over top of axe to hold my log when freeing a stuck axe.
Older it gets harder to split.

Pi$$ elm 100% sure thing. Split it while-if you can or have a place to burn big chunks. Makes decent heat just so hard to work most people despise it,burns pretty fast when dry enough not to put your fire out.

My first thought was American Elm. If it kinda smells like piss than it is AE. AE is sometimes called pith elm which got bastardized into piss elm. Lots of btu's when dry, but hard to split because it's so fibrosis.

No one has suggested splitting when it is good and frozen? I hear that is supposed to help some. And it looks like elm to me too.

That only helps a little, the best thing is a 50 ton plus splitter. I split a fair amount of it, but I'm spoiled with a twin ram monstrosity of a splitter. 30" pieces are no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pi$$ elm never really splits, you either sorta cut through or it just tears and rips apart about where ever it wants too

I agree on the Elm, forgot I posted on it already. I was going to add, not sure if Mulberry gets that big, I guess it is possible. Don't think it is Siberian Elm as it has darker center, the only elm I have cut n split. Just wondering if the OP figurered something out.....Not locust either.

Oh, and that is why you have a knife edge on your splitter wedge so you can cut thru it @mohick

Yep for sure on the knife edge otherwise like I say it just kinda rips where ever! I would hate to be accused of ever selling anyone that stuff unless they can use chunk wood

Elm? yes! hard to split? yes burns well good heat? yes. My old homebuilt hydro splitter cuts right thru it I have a small hatchet handy for the stringy stuff!

Latest posts

Back