Help, log splitter wont split

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I totally disassembled and cleaned the control valve tonight. That doesn't seem to be the problem.

After doing so I realized that the adjustment screw I spoke of earlier, that made the ram cycle faster or slower, was actually on the pump not the valve.

Not sure if that matters or not as far as any ideas go.

Also I think it is probably a 4" cylinder not a 5".

I am going to try the cylinder test next, if its not that then i'm guessing its probably a bad pump.

Is it possible to disassemble the pump and determine if its bad and repair it or would i have to buy a new one?

Many pumps do have a pressure relief built into them, prolly what you're looking at. Disassemble it carefully, & clean. Put it back together & adjust it slowly, & see what happens. As was stated, a small piece of debris can cause flow by, & lower the pump pressure dramatically. A C

The first place I would look is the hydraulic fluid level. I know on my splitter, when the fluid is low it will not split a log. Since it sat, the fluid could have gummed up or leaked out and you would not know it if it dried

Just my 2 cents

The Duerr Pro 20 splitter i believe has a haldex/barnes 11gpm 2-stage pump. These pumps are not rebuild-able replacement parts are not available. There is a ball check between the two pump section which could have a piece of debris that could keep the check from completely closing, or the pressure relief in the pump could also have some debris stuck in it.
Attached is a pic of a haldex/barnes pump

Back