HELP - Makita DCS520 Pulled Chain Tensioner Out of Case

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Camp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I had a bad day in the woods today. Pinched two different saws, had to remove bars from saws and it now appears I may have damaged my Makita. While reefing on the saw to free the bar pinched in the back cut, I pulled the chain tensioner from the magnesium case.

I am not sure if it can be repaired and am hoping some of you might have some ideas how to repair, just short of getting a new case. Yes, I said new case. I have had this saw since new, over ten years ago and it is like a great, reliable hunting dog to me. I just cannot stand to put her down. In addition, the saw is in great condition and runs as good as the day I brought it home.

I will try to imbed the images but being fairly new to the site I have not quite mastered it.View attachment 281008View attachment 281009View attachment 281010View attachment 281012View attachment 281013

I'm failing to see the problem... the chain tentioner sits in the valley behind the bar plate: like you had it in pic 3... Just put the bar plate, bar and chain, and clutch cover back on and cinch it back up. the chain tentioner doesn't go down holes from end to end if that's what you're thinking.

PS: replace your chain catch, it's been cut off the bottom of your case.

I'm failing to see the problem... the chain tentioner sits in the valley behind the bar plate: like you had it in pic 3... Just put the bar plate, bar and chain, and clutch cover back on and cinch it back up. the chain tentioner doesn't go down holes from end to end if that's what you're thinking.

PS: replace your chain catch, it's been cut off the bottom of your case.

I agree! Look at 03-05.

attachment.php

View attachment 281112

Guys, I could not be more grateful for your help. Here I was fearing the worst, like I lost my best friend, and you're telling me the valley the tensioner screw sits in is normal. It turns out I just didn't know any better.

I love this model saw so much I have been searching the net for a while looking for a great condition DCS 520, 520i or 540 to get my hands on. I had a chance at a 540 a few weeks ago but another member got it. It went over $200 and I could not justify spending that much on a saw that would be run occasionally (for once I resisted the CAD urge.)

Unfortunately there are no dealers by me so I do most of my own work, but am by no means a mechanic. I do enjoy learning. When I need parts I just contact Makita directly and order from them.

I will be placing an order soon and will pick up a chain catch and chain guide plate as they are both chewed up.

Thanks Again for Your Help

Latest posts

Back