Help Me Decide Which Chainsaw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are cutting 20-30" wood, you need a 60cc saw or bigger. The Echo 590 would be in your price range, the Dolmar 6100 would probably be about $50 over your top price. The 455 would be a little underpowered for this size wood. A good used 70cc saw could be found in your price range.

I agree.... You need a 70cc saw.
And at least two bars maybe three. 1- 24" bar, 1- 20" bar and a 16" bar.
And several chains for each bar. You can work your way into the extra bars and chains over time.

Start with the 20" bar.

David

My 2 cents:

The Echo Timberwolf is probably the best "buy" in a new saw, but a little heavier and less features than the Stihl & Husky counterparts, which will cost U more.

The new saws from Husky & Stihl will cost more, but U will also get automatic carb adjustment and the design will keep the air filters cleaner longer. For the size wood U want to cut (and your size) I would not go under 60 cc.

If U R going used, a 372 or 044/440 (or the Dalmer Clint mentioned) would likely put the biggest smile on your face, and they will out cut the new 60 cc saws. If U will be cutting 20-30" wood on a regular basis, I would look for a 70 cc saw, new or used.

Don't be afraid to spend extra to get a better saw. I've had one of mine for over 20 years and I don't even remember what I paid for it, although I know I thought it was a lot at the time. A good pro saw should last a lifetime if properly maintained and used for firewood cutting, and U won't often regret having a "better" saw!

Whatever U get, just come back to the site for all kinds of advice on improving performance, but none will be more important than maintaining a sharp chain.

Good Luck

I sure as **** wouldn't wanna cut 20-30" wood with a 50cc. You are better off with a 70cc saw.
That's what I was thinking. A 261cm is too small for a single saw plan IMO and overpriced. A used 372xp or Dolmar 7900 is what this guy needs. I would go with the 372xp due to greater parts availability.

Scratch that. I'd buy a 346xp NE, a 550xp, a 562xp, a 372xp, 288xp, a 390xp, have them all sent to Mastermind, and buy a few Stihls as trade bait.

But this OP should just buy a nice used 372xp. :rock:

I would only include the echo 590 or dolmar 6100 into my choice. The equivalent big brands are, in my eyes, just too expensive for what they offer over the two mentioned for a firewooder.

Since no one has chimed up yet, let me put in the Efco 152 or the 156. Good saws. Relatively less expensive. Not fancy, just runs. Very reliable and with a growing dealer market. Love mine.

Looks like a lot of good advice given. From a property owner as well, your "little 120 acres" implies to me that you plan on being there awhile. Best advice I've seen and wish I took the first time around is to get the best you can afford - there's a saying something like "quality is appreciated long after the price is forgotten." If I were in your situation, knowing what I know today, I'd invest in a tool that I'd use for the next couple of decades. Scrape you funds together and find a way to purchase a ported 562XP with 20 and 24inch bars. Since you pretty much have to buy on line - there are a couple of folks who you can turn to that are sponsors of this site and have ported new saws for sell (both Jonsered and Husqvarna).
Reason for a 562XP - latest technology with auto tune - as a property owner, if you're like me, that will be appreciated in the years to come. 562XP is light enough, yet powerful enough to handle the trees you've described. Reason for porting - more power will be needed at some time in the future -
Next purchases need to be PPE (Chaps & Helmet) (See other threads or just go to labonville (dot)com)
Next purchase grab a Pferd CS-X (much debate on how to keep the chain sharp - but my opinion is this fool proof and you'll need to maintain a sharp chain).
Lastly - only use Non- Ethanol Fuel with synthetic oil.

If an AT or MT saw goes TU the little independent lawnmower shop isn't going to be able to repair it. I strongly suggest you stick with simple (read low tech) saws that have parts that are readily available and easy attain (read online). Most saws need nothing more than a fuel line, carb kit, and a little tuning to keep them going nearly indefinitely.

I agree a ported saw is a nice option. A 346/2153 will easily handle a 20" bar in hardwood and is easy on the back.

Looks like a lot of good advice given. From a property owner as well, your "little 120 acres" implies to me that you plan on being there awhile. Best advice I've seen and wish I took the first time around is to get the best you can afford - there's a saying something like "quality is appreciated long after the price is forgotten." If I were in your situation, knowing what I know today, I'd invest in a tool that I'd use for the next couple of decades. Scrape you funds together and find a way to purchase a ported 562XP with 20 and 24inch bars. Since you pretty much have to buy on line - there are a couple of folks who you can turn to that are sponsors of this site and have ported new saws for sell (both Jonsered and Husqvarna).
Reason for a 562XP - latest technology with auto tune - as a property owner, if you're like me, that will be appreciated in the years to come. 562XP is light enough, yet powerful enough to handle the trees you've described. Reason for porting - more power will be needed at some time in the future -
Next purchases need to be PPE (Chaps & Helmet) (See other threads or just go to labonville (dot)com)
Next purchase grab a Pferd CS-X (much debate on how to keep the chain sharp - but my opinion is this fool proof and you'll need to maintain a sharp chain).
Lastly - only use Non- Ethanol Fuel with synthetic oil.
I love my 562 and understand why you recommend it. However a ported 562 is closer to $1,000 which is twice his budget. The used 372 (not 2172 ;) ) is right in his wheelhouse. A brand new 576xp can be had on the bay for $750 shipped.

The six saw (minimum) plan is my suggestion and personal preference.

I'd go with a 70 cc saw, 20" bar, a spare bar either one size up or down, depending on what size you mostly cut, and make sure both are 3/8 pitch. Read reviews of the various saw offerings, stock, and go visit the dealers to make a final selection. I personally would avoid non-stock saws just to reduce the risk of failure so far away from parts.....but that is just me. A lot of guys here can vouch for some of the saw builders.

Hello to all. I am new here. I have been trying to decide which chainsaw I should purchase and after debating for quite a while and reading reviews and going to stores and handling them I still can't decide. I thought I would come here and ask the fine people of this forum their opinion. I know there are always people on the side of each brand but I just wanted to get your opinions to possibly sway me one way or the other. Hopefully I will provide you all the information you need. I have used chainsaws most of my life for ranch work and cutting firewood so I am not a complete novice. I have never used a "good" chainsaw though. Usually just less expensive models.
I will be using the saw for brush and tree clearing. I will also be using it for quite a bit of firewood cutting. The main types of wood I will be cutting will be mesquite and live oak. I would like to try and spend around 500. I am not worried about the saw being too heavy or big. I am a large guy so the weight and extended handling of it will not bother me. Power and ease of operation would be important factors. I live on a ranch at least 1-2 hours from a large city. There are no true dealers of any chainsaws around me so the service factor of a knowledgeable dealer doesn't need to be factored into the decision. I have handled and liked some Husky models...450, 455 auto tune. Some echo...the timber wolf.
Thank you in advance for your knowledge and advice. I woud like to purchase something in the next few days.
Just count and see which saw has been recommended the most to you in this post. I believe it would be the Husky 372 and that would be my answer also. It will do anything you need it to. Good luck with whatever you get.

Latest posts

Back