Help Me Decide Which Chainsaw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpmbcs

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello to all. I am new here. I have been trying to decide which chainsaw I should purchase and after debating for quite a while and reading reviews and going to stores and handling them I still can't decide. I thought I would come here and ask the fine people of this forum their opinion. I know there are always people on the side of each brand but I just wanted to get your opinions to possibly sway me one way or the other. Hopefully I will provide you all the information you need. I have used chainsaws most of my life for ranch work and cutting firewood so I am not a complete novice. I have never used a "good" chainsaw though. Usually just less expensive models.
I will be using the saw for brush and tree clearing. I will also be using it for quite a bit of firewood cutting. The main types of wood I will be cutting will be mesquite and live oak. I would like to try and spend around 500. I am not worried about the saw being too heavy or big. I am a large guy so the weight and extended handling of it will not bother me. Power and ease of operation would be important factors. I live on a ranch at least 1-2 hours from a large city. There are no true dealers of any chainsaws around me so the service factor of a knowledgeable dealer doesn't need to be factored into the decision. I have handled and liked some Husky models...450, 455 auto tune. Some echo...the timber wolf.
Thank you in advance for your knowledge and advice. I woud like to purchase something in the next few days.

Stihl, Husky, Echo, whatever......buy new and don't look back. Stihl dealers are like convenience stores. There seems to be one on every corner.

And, buy a "pro" saw. Spend the extra money and just do it. Buy a little bigger than a little smaller. Try to decide how many cc's you are considering. Sounds as if maybe 50-60cc or so would suit you fine.

I ended up with a Stihl MS-261 C-M. It's a great saw and tunes itself to the cutting conditions and such. Even weather and elevation changes, to include a dirty air filter.

And, I've heard that it you take real good care of it, it'll even make coffee for ya. ;)

I would look for a good used 70cc saw. You should be able to find a nice Stihl 044/MS440 or 372 Husqvarna (both 71cc) in that price range. There is a Makita with an 84cc big bore kit and modded carb in the Tradin' Post right now for $400... and that is a whole lot of saw for the money. Good luck.

Thank you so much for the responses so far. I am sorry I forgot to include tree size. Most mesquite are not huge but can get up to greater than 20-30" in diameter and mesquite is considered to be the "Iron Wood" of south texas.
Like I said. There is not a true dealer of any kind of saw anywhere near here. You just have hardware stores and box stores that sell chainsaws. As far as working on the saw goes, the only option I have if I don't work on it myself is a local small engine mechanic.
I am just interested in getting a powerful, reliable wood eater. I like to cut a lot of firewood. I was thinking of at least a 20" bar.

I will definitely look into the Stihl 261. I have been very interested in an auto tune model. The only one I have looked at so far is the husqvarna 455 rancher autotune 20".

I will definitely look into the Stihl 261. I have been very interested in an auto tune model. The only one I have looked at so far is the husqvarna 455 rancher autotune 20".
Solid choice as well. The consensus appears to be that stihl has better filtration than the husky.

Thank you again for all of your helpful advice. Keep it coming.
Right now I can get the husky 455 rancher auto tune 20" plus 3 cans of fuel 50:1 and 2 extra chains with a husky box I think all online in a package deal for around 450 or so. Also extend warranty to 3 years although I don't know how helpful that will be with the dealer it comes from being in North Carolina.

The Stihl 261 with auto tune is a little higher priced than I was looking for. Not sure if I want to spend that little bit more. Maybe if it is worth it. I will have to find one and put my hands on it.
Just wondering why no one has mentioned any Echo, Dolmar, Efco or Jonsered?
Here is a little more info if it helps.
I have a little 120 acre place we just purchased and we are about to build a house there. I have done some major clearing with heavy machinery where house will be and the acreage around it but now will be cleaning up all mesquite and live oak trees on property. Cutting down all the mesquites that are not wanted and setting them aside to dry out for a while before I saw them down and then split them for firewood and BBQ wood. I also have 3 100 plus year old live oaks that have been blown down due to high winds that are ready now to be cut up and split. Going to be a lot of fun in the near future. Hopefully a big line of split wood will be stacked soon.

The Stihl 261 with auto tune is a little higher priced than I was looking for. Not sure if I want to spend that little bit more. Maybe if it is worth it. I will have to find one and put my hands on it.
Just wondering why no one has mentioned any Echo, Dolmar, Efco or Jonsered?
In my prior post I mentioned Echo and Makita(Dolmar). Jonsered is the same as Husky only a different color. I was a little tongue in cheek on my Stihl comment, but I am also not a fan of them, they are overpriced for what they are, IMO. in a New saw, it is hard to beat the bang for buck aspect of Echo and Makita (Dolmar).

The oaks have been laying in field for about a year. They are dry but yes I do plan on cutting them up soon.
Thanks again everyone for your input. Opinions from people who know what they are talking about are always helpful.

I am sorry I forgot to include tree size. Most mesquite are not huge but can get up to greater than 20-30" in diameter and mesquite is considered to be the "Iron Wood" of south texas.
1l.jpg

If Echo still has that sale going on the Timberwolf, that is a great deal. $399 in Canada, I believe they're a bit less in the USA.
Any and all Echo OPE I own or have owned has been bang-on reliable. Perhaps not the smoothest, but always started and ran fine.

If you're not too worried about a little excess weight, a Dolmar 6400 (Makita 6401) is a proven solid and dependable saw.
You can find these used for not a whole lot of money, and parts availability is good.

Latest posts

Back