Help me find a steel carabiner, please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickfromWI

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen (and any of you lurking ladies)-

I am looking for some auto-locking steel carabiners. Preferably something without the little notch that I hate (the notch that catches the pin on the gate).

Any suggestions?

love
nick

Originally posted by wct4life
Petzl makes one w/ the key lock style.

They do? Where do I get one!?!?

I am working on a ropes/challenge course right now. I made a double ended lanyard for moving about the cables in the trees. You clip to one cable, walk to the end of it, then clip the other cable then unclip the first cable (so that you are always clipped in). The cables, bolts, etc are all made of steel. The aluminum carabiners get worn down quickly.

I will go look for the steel petzl now. Thanks!

love
nick

Wow, you mean they sell tree working stuff at Sherrill? You mean carabiners and everything?
That's a good idea! I mean then they send their cataloge out to so many arborists, it makes sense to sell arborist supplies.
I wonder if Baileys has thought of this yet.

Thanks guys! You're the best....especially you, rocky.

FYI...the Sherrill ones (that I checked out a while ago) .....the Petzl FDC Triact are not to my liking. They are HUGE. I don't want to pay the higher price for a larger carabiner that I don't need.

Again, thank you Rocky.

love
nick

Nick. I hope you find precisely what you want. I would like to remind you that you asked about steel auto locks preferably without the notched latching system. YOU DIDN"T SPECIFY SIZE OR COST!:rolleyes: Perhaps you should search the 'biner manufacturer websites, find what you consider to be the best and come tell us about the perfect 'biner for snapping onto the cables at your ropes course. That is imformation we all desperately need.::alien:

A tad homophobic there, Treeco?

aaf_whatthehell.gif

Note that the letters that are next to the photos of the 'biners don't correspond to the letters in the spec chart. The photo's of the Petzl 'biners are labeled 'F' and 'G', but they are items 'D' and 'E' in the spec chart.

Jeez Sean, who reviewed the catalogue? Another blooper to fix before the 2005 goes to press.

Mahk

Originally posted by Mike Maas
Wow, you mean they sell tree working stuff at Sherrill? You mean carabiners and everything?
That's a good idea! I mean then they send their cataloge out to so many arborists, it makes sense to sell arborist supplies.
I wonder if Baileys has thought of this yet.

Hey Mike, If you don't get the Sherrill Mag, I'll be more then happy to send you mine. And yes, they sell all sorts of tree related items. Carabiners, ropes, saddles, books, etc.....:D
As for Baileys, I never heard of them. Maybe if you sent them your idea, they'd be really greatful

Fall arrest vrs. work positioning

Nick
You are setting up a ropes course. this means traversing cables, climbing up rope ladders, sliding down angled cables, etc.
Really what a rope course is set up to do is bring climbers up into a tree using preset rigging.
For the most part, these are Fall arrest systems.
The industry has complete set ups for this.
Steel double locking snaps, Delta rings (webbing or steel (by the way steel delta links set between the shoulder blades have been shown to break the users back if they take a direct fall onto their back- webbing is better)). The senario you described uses a set up commonly used by rebar workers. They have two lanyards and clip and unclip to move about on walls of rebar such as freeway structures. The primary attachment is the delta link behind the shoulder blades.
Try a local industrial safety supply store you will be amazed at what they have.
Mixing two disciplines and the gear used is tricky and should be done with full knowledge of both trades. You mentioned that alum. biners wear out running on a cable- that is a great example.
Tom Dunlop has done a geat deal of work with the standards and they have defined these two trades very well.
climb safe, especially with new climbers
Frans

Ropes course

Frans- The ropes course I am working on is one that is already set up. I am an instructor here (this is my fourth year, actually). We have to comply with the ACCT guidelines, which are the "ANSI" for the Assoc. for Challenge Course technology. Where I am is a quite rural area and I don't even know how far it is to a store that would sell stuff like this.

I think David at OK Arbo Supplies might be able to hook me up....we'll see!

love
nick

Rocky,

"No wonder the public thinks so poorly of arborists. Half of us cannot read and comprehend Lovey's question..."

Speak for yourself :)

Go fly back in your nest for a minute and calm down. Before you go spouting off about the ISC biners that Sherrill sells you should look at the ISC site and see that they make other biners too.

Denny now has a quad lock biner. When I visited with him last year he was talking about a biner gate that has a locking mechanism like nothing on the market. It will be interesting to see what it looks like in its final form.

Latest posts

Back