Help me find a steel carabiner, please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
The user must 1- Slide the barrel, 2- twist the collar and 3- push open the spring loaded gate. This is three actions required to open the biner.

Rocky;

There are three motions required to open the carabiner, but only two motions are required to unlock the carabiner. After two motions (eg. push, then twist), the carabiner is unlocked and is set just like a non-locking carabiner. The gate is unlocked, but still closed, and has been unlocked with two separate motions.

I don't hold any office in the state arborist association.

Mahk

Rocky, the springing gate does not lock the carabiner. To refer to a carabiner such as this....

Oval Biner, NON LOCKING

...as a locking carabiner would be a misnomer. Even a worker off the street ;) would be able to tell you that this carabiner is not "locked" shut.

Compare apples to apples, not carabiner terms to snaphook terms.

I love you a lot, Rocky.

love
nick

Last edited:
The spring closing action of a biner is not counted as a locking action. That is not the zero point when counting actions.

Screw gate biners are only counted as single locking even if it takes many turns t lock the gate. Snaps are counted as locking, not double locking.

It is a bit of a loose area when rope snaps only need one locking motion but biners need more. Finding the reasoning for that would be interesting. This is an example of divergent thinking.

Tom

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
The spring action is 'locking' the biner closed. You must push against the spring in order to open the biner. without outside force, the biner will not open.

:

this is the silliest info I have seen you share here...that spring action you speak is simply closing the biner, leaving nothing locked.

I may have found the right one. It is in the mail now. I will let you know how it goes when they arrive and I can give them a test run.

love
nick

Down boys down! I was using common parlance. Yes, only 2 actions are required to "unlock" a triple lock but 3 actions are required to open it. The other common name-"tri-act", is technically more accurate.

Locked V. Latched-a non-locker still is either latched or unlatched i.e. open or closed. Brian is correct in his reference to snaps-when they added 1 lock on top of auto closure they were marketed as "double locking". Mahk is correct that better definitions would be helpful. Right now the bottlom line is that 2 actions are acceptable on snaps (presumably because the design is so different-the actions take place 180* from one another) Three are required on carabiners. Three seperate actions make a pretty accident proof connector.:angel:

i use 2 o-rings in the threads under my steel twist gates that makes mine quad locking.ive had climbing equipment audited for power cos by kids who just got there degree.1 thought my saw strap was a prussic2couldnt work out that the clip closing it self was a locking action,if it didnt self close its faulty.

Quit your 'WHY'ing

Probably because it's safe and perfectly functional.

Mike, don't poop your drawers just because a piece looks old; steel has a pretty darn good shelf life and kilonewton ratings, as far as I've come to know, don't change with time. I'm fairly confident Lopa will retire it when begins to not function properly. What I see is a well-worn piece of gear that's been maintained.

Those O-rings are going to keep that screw gate from unscrewing. They can be replaced when worn or broken. There are two, not one, for added safety. As long as the spring gate and hinge pin are working, and the screw gate does it's thing, I can't see a lot wrong with this picture. Lopa simply made a safe biner safer.

Any news on the proposed Quad-locks?

There is a reason why ANSI doesn't allow screw locking 'biners for climbing. There are so many great auto locking 'biners to choose from...why bother?

love
nick

Nick, I beg to differ. There are indeed many three stage auto locking biners to choose from, but there are very few that are great. More are nearly unusable than are not. And I believe as a class they have proven to be nearly as susceptible to accidental opening as screwlocks. Several reports from the UK indicate falls have resulted from this, and testing there has shown how it happens, and the factors that cause it. We can't go to sleep when using them...it could bite you.

Originally posted by NickfromWI
There is a reason why ANSI doesn't allow screw locking 'biners for climbing. There are so many great auto locking 'biners to choose from...why bother?

love
nick

contrary to popular opinion on here, the world doesnt end at americas coast line,you tell me whats wrong with my clip, and just how 'self locking' are yours.

mike, WHY not?

Originally posted by Stumper
I was using common parlance. Yes, only 2 actions are required to "unlock" a triple lock but 3 actions are required to open it.

... reference to snaps-when they added 1 lock on top of auto closure they were marketed as "double locking".

... better definitions would be helpful.

Right now the bottlom line is that 2 actions are acceptable on snaps...
Three are required on carabiners.

Three seperate actions make a pretty accident proof connector.:angel:

Think of a non-locking 'biner or snap. Push the gate and it opens. There is only one motion required to open the 'biner or snap and there is no locking mechanism.

A single-locking 'biner or snap requires one motion to unlock and a second motion to open the 'biner/snap.

A double-locking 'biner requires two motions to unlock and three total motions to open the 'biner.

The term 'locking' refers to the number of motions required to unlock the biner/snap. The progression is non-lock, single-lock, double lock.

The term 'action' (or Act, Stage, way, as in Tri-Act, Three Stage (both commercial names), and three way (used in the article that Tom referenced)) refers to the number of motions required to open the 'biner/snap. Since the 'biner/snap can't (or at least shouldn't) be open without some motion from the climber the progression starts at one, not zero--single action, double action, triple action.

Thus a non-locking 'biner is a single action 'biner; a single-locking 'biner is a double action 'biner; and a double-locking 'biner is a triple action 'biner (thus the name for Petzl's Tri-Act refers to three actions for the 'biner to be open, not simply to be unlocked).

I should note that in the thread on TB that was referenced in an above post, Rescue Man disagreed with part of this. He feels that 'action' refers to the motion of the locking mechanism alone and that a double-locking 'biner is a double-action locker. But, although we disagreed about 'action', we agreed that 'locking' refers to the motion(s) of the locking mechanism and does not include the actual opening of the gate.

Using the sequence outlined above (non-lock, single-lock, double-lock), Tom is correct that locking snaps are only single-locking. It sounds so much safer, but 'double-locking' is incorrect. I randomly pulled 13 or 14 catalogues off of my bookshelf and looked up 'snaps'. The majority of them called our current climbing snaps 'locking' or 'single-locking'. Only three used the term 'double-locking'. But, just because it is in a catalogue doesn't mean its correct.

If, as some say, the snaps that are currently used (eg. #11 on p. 42 of the '04 Sherrill catalogue) are 'double-locking' then what is a 'single-locking' snap? #10 on the same page? But we all call that a non-locking snap.

Similarly if as stated above "...2 actions are required to "unlock" a triple lock..." is there only one action required to unlock a double lock? And then no action is required to unlock a single lock? Does that mean a single lock is the same as a non-lock? Or......or......or......

The confusion is in thinking that the terms triple-action, three way, etc. refer to the locking mechanism. They do not. They refer to the combined motions of the locking mechanism and the opening of the gate. 'Locking' refers solely and only to the locking mechanism.

Why espouse terminology that is so obviously confusing ("...2 actions are required to "unlock" a triple lock...")? If it is agreed that "...better definitions would be helpful..." why not start by employing them right here?

You say:

"Right now the bottlom line is that 2 actions are acceptable on snaps...
Three are required on carabiners."

And these are single-locking snaps and double-locking carabiners.

I don't mean to single out Stumper, but this post, while trying to be conciliatory, simply highlights the contradictory and confusing manner in which these terms have come to be used. Rather than arguing to maintain a misconstrued status quo, we should discuss ways to achieve a more logical standard of terms and definitions.

And, for safety's sake:

"Three seperate actions make a pretty accident proof connector.:angel."

I have had locking snaps come open (twice) and a double-locking carabiner come unlocked (but not open). After that I changed how I attach my rope to the carabiner. Whatever we call snaps and carabiners, it is important to check them regularly.

Rocky;

You are probably thinking of Mark Collins. He also works in the Atlanta area and is a past president of the GAA.

Mahk

the only problem with screw gates is people not screwing them or checking,nothing wrong with the actual item.i read the UK examination of caribiners,it didnt really have any out come.

Latest posts

Back