Help me identify my engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmerSid

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey All! Wondering if any of you could help me identify this engine I have. All I know is that it is a Techumsa 8HP that came off of a snowblower. A Craftsman snowblower I think. I need some help setting up the carb. I can get it to run fine but at full choke only. Once I open the choke it dies. I have adjusted the main jet on the bottom of the carb bowl but nothing seems to change. I did nothing to the engine other than paint it. The guy showed me it running before it was taken off the blower frame. Here is some pictures of it installed on my splitter.

Any idea's?

Cheers!

Sid

it's definately a tecumsh engine. 8hp it is.
if you remove the starter switch, the engine numbers should be stamped on the top of the cover....under that switch. since it has been painted, you might have to do some slight sanding to see them.

also, the carb should have a number stamped on it.

the tecumseh part phone number is: 1-877-654-7737 if you can get the carb numbers they can tell you what carb rebuild kit you need.

i just had one blow up on me. cracked the gear cover in half. anyways, i had the exact same problem with mine. i took the carb apart and the pin that holds the bowl in place was rusted, preventing it from moving up and down. when it was running, i would have to keep messing with the choke and/or the mixture screw. but, i put a new pin on the bowl (as a temporary fix) and it seems to run much better....until the cover went.

mine came off a jacobsen snowblower and i put it on a leaf blower i had...until yesterday. now, it's just leaking oil out of that huge crack. it'll be going in the garbage soon.

nice looking splitter, i'd like to see how it works when it's done.

Last edited:
I don't know exactly what engine that is other than it's John Deere green.

Those carbs have a little diaphragm pump that suck the gas out of the tank.Often after setting for a while they get stiff and either the diaphragm is not functioning correctly or the check valves are not sealing thus you have to run them on partial choke.It should be right on the end of the carb were the tube comes out of the tank ,if I've called this correctly.

I can't say that I've ever seen a splitter made exactly like that.

Thanks for the help guy's. That pump you mention, is it at the carb where the fuel line connects too? What's that read thing under the fuel tank? Isn't it just a filter? Am I correct in saying that the main jet screw is on the bottom of the bowl? I wonder how many turn off the seat is the factory setting?

That splitter I built last fall. I basically copied a Split-Fire splitter.

http://www.split-fire.com/

It workes quite well but I didn't paint it right away in case I had to modify it. I should of painted right away. I just finished painting as well as adding some fenders and checker plate for a place to sit pieces of wood ready to split instead of bending over all the time.

Cheers!

Sid

No air filter on the carb

You should put an air filter on it and also compare with a summer engine the
cooling air system. There is not much DUST in the air when snow is on the ground. Looks like a Great splitter!!

I had to recheck those pics again.The red gizmo looks like a fuel filter indeed.It also looks like some type of a primer contraction of some sort on the end of the fuel line,black what-ya call it on top of the engine.

Could be a plugged filter,cracked line,messed up primer.It's in the fuel delivery what ever the case.

Take the needle assembly out and check the jet, which is in the carb body, if it's like I'm thinking. It is probably best to take the carb off so you can get to the underside. I've had to rod out several jets on carbs like yours. It could be that the move stirred up some trash that got into it. You'll need something like a #60 drill or piece of music wire.

Thanks again! The thing by the red filter is a fuel shut off. The primer button is on the front of the recoil housing however, the primer button is broken. I'm hoping that it's just dirt screwing things up. My Husky riding mower with a 15 HP Briggs needs it's carb bowl cleaned out 2-3 times a season as rust seems form on the bottom of the bowl on the inside. Pain but that's what it takes to fix it. I just put all new fuel line on the Tecumsh engine as well as a new spark plug.

Carb settings for 3-11hp engines. Also have a 2.5 meg service booklet if needed.
attachment.php

Thanks Ray! I will PM you with my e-mail if you don't mind sending me that service booklet. I appreciate it.

Cheers!

Sid

Latest posts

Back