Help me pick a long bar saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kafinlayson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i have a stihl 290 and 036, run a 20" bar on both of them and am quite happy with the results. there are some bigger trees that i can take down and also we get a few storms that come through each year and take down some massive (to me) trees. very few people around here have a saw that can handle them so they get pushed into piles and burned. i want to pick up a saw that will have a 28" bar on it most of the time but also would like to have a 32" bar to put on for a few times a year when needed. im thinking of a stihl 044/440 used from someone on here. any other suggestions? would these saws be a good choice for this use?

I'd look for 80cc+ if you want to run a 32" bar. I've run 20" on a 60cc and thought it was a little slow. I can't imagine running 20" on a 290...mine wears 16" and sometimes I think that's too much.

I would go with a 046 /460/461 or maybe even a 066 or 660 hope this is helpful whatever you get make sure you have a good dealer if you don't make repairs yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Softwood or hardwood?

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk

I've got a 24" on a 288, 660 comes with a 25" fitted as standard from stihl but that's oz and the wood here can be really hard

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk

Run a 32" on a Dolmar 7900, and 28" on another 7900, works ok for me. I would say that on 32" a skip chain would be a nice addition so as to not load the 7900 down as much, as I have stalled it once in awhile. The last time was on some 5' dia. hickory. Had to come from both sides for that puppy and then noodle it into liftable pieces. full comp chain when noodling is not the best choice. It is what I had at the time so it got used that way. I have a 075 Stilh in the wings working on getting a big bar for it for just these types of challenges. Sure isn't something I want to swing all day. When you are scrounging like me the ability to handle big stuff like that hickory gets me some calls.

There's nothing wrong with running a 28" skiptooth on an 044. Properly sharpened, it'll get a whole lotta work done and not much smaller than a 660. Plenty of guys run this combo or even bigger in softwoods full time falling. I ran a 36" on an 044 years ago in our hardwoods, skiptooth. Didn't win any races, but properly sharpened it got the work done just fine. More than enough for occasional use. Sharp chain is the key.

My old 7900 pretty much lived with a 32" on it and had no problem even in hard wood such as oak. My new 7910 will also be wearing a 32" very shortly.
If you have a Dolmar dealer nearby, the Dolmar 7900 series will treat you well, especially for the $800 +/- price tag.
Absolutely there are bigger saws out there that will pull a 32" faster but justifying the extra cash is hard to swallow for me.

I would like to stay in the $500 range, maybe $600. Always generally buy new tools but I just picked up the 036 on here used and it runs well. Probably will go used as it will not be used that often, but when needed it would sure be nice. I am just trying to figure out which saw to get so I can watch for a good deal, do not need it tomorrow. Have always used Stihl saws before but am not opposed to something else, however, the only local dealer we have is stihl.

I would like to stay in the $500 range, maybe $600. Always generally buy new tools but I just picked up the 036 on here used and it runs well. Probably will go used as it will not be used that often, but when needed it would sure be nice. I am just trying to figure out which saw to get so I can watch for a good deal, do not need it tomorrow. Have always used Stihl saws before but am not opposed to something else, however, the only local dealer we have is stihl.

You answered your own question, Buy the biggest saw for 500 or 600 bucks you can find.

Since your planning on a used one, watch the trading post here. I would suggest something 80cc or bigger for a 32in bar. And since your only local dealer is Stihl it only makes sense to me to by a Stihl. Just makes things easier for parts and repairs when needed.

I think you would be happy with an 064, and you should be able to find a decent one for $5-600. 85 cc but not as bulky as an 066, great power to weight. That or a 7900 dolmar.

i have a stihl 290 and 036, run a 20" bar on both of them and am quite happy with the results. there are some bigger trees that i can take down and also we get a few storms that come through each year and take down some massive (to me) trees. very few people around here have a saw that can handle them so they get pushed into piles and burned. i want to pick up a saw that will have a 28" bar on it most of the time but also would like to have a 32" bar to put on for a few times a year when needed. im thinking of a stihl 044/440 used from someone on here. any other suggestions? would these saws be a good choice for this use?

I would recommend a 066/660. I run 24" and 36" bars on mine. It can walk through 36' Oak with no hesitation at all.

Hal

Back