HELP ME......... Stihl 009 for Dummies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
remind me what IPL is and how I find that? thanks for your help. David
google, search, Stihl 009 chainsaw parts list, enter. There are over a dozens sources, incl. part numbers. If something doesn't jive with your part, than go further down the rabbit hole, with a part #. OR, keeping asking here.

I seem to be flunking chainsaw 101! I rebuilt the carb, put in a new gasket and got it running. This is gonna sound sort of silly, but I CANNOT seem to get the clutch cover to go on right! I know the bar nut holds it on, there is also a machine screw in the cover that is maybe supposed to help hold the other end of the cover? What am I missing , should not be this hard. Starting to think I should try a different hobby that's more in line with my skills ( stamp collecting or dolls?)IMG_1052.jpeg

I seem to be flunking chainsaw 101! I rebuilt the carb, put in a new gasket and got it running. This is gonna sound sort of silly, but I CANNOT seem to get the clutch cover to go on right! I know the bar nut holds it on, there is also a machine screw in the cover that is maybe supposed to help hold the other end of the cover? What am I missing , should not be this hard. Starting to think I should try a different hobby that's more in line with my skills ( stamp collecting or dolls?)
Maybe the brake band is engaged?

Figured out the clutch cover. Previous owner had stuck the wrong big machine screw to attach the clutch cover, and every time I tried to tighten it would just push the clutch cover off. But now it won't start, I think maybe I flooded it. And the pull rope has gotten very! hard to pull. Could I have flooded it so badly it could sort of hydro lock? Also wonder if I am missing some kind of plastic piece where the screw thread are sticking out?IMG_1055.jpegIMG_1053.jpeg

I think there is a part at your crankcase missing - happens when a screw which is too long is screwed in

Attachments

• SW_05209.JPG
    SW_05209.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 7
  • SW_05210.JPG
    SW_05210.JPG
    719.3 KB · Views: 7
  • SW_05211.JPG
    SW_05211.JPG
    636.9 KB · Views: 7
Got it running today. it was very flooded. took out the plug, held it upside down and pulled and pulled til no more gas came out. Interesting how it got very hard to pull yesterday cuz it was so flooded
How's your saw? My flooding came to conclusions on very very bad Ignition coil high tension wire. I got vapors, and hydro lock as well 🤣 i have to drain the thing manually. You'll know it's flodded when the exhausted has gas innit

How's your saw? My flooding came to conclusions on very very bad Ignition coil high tension wire. I got vapors, and hydro lock as well 🤣 i have to drain the thing manually. You'll know it's flodded when the exhausted has gas innit
I've been too busy to play with that saw right now, it was running but I need to put a tach on it to adjust the carb

That set up works in mine but I’m not sure if those photos will be clear enough to copy it. The translucent tube just travels into and out of the chamber. Has nothing to do with the carby. I think they call it a fuel vent line and it has a weird little bit of threaded metal in it. I think it’s meant to act as valve but mine seems to have fuel moving in both directions.ABF78D2F-B0CF-449A-BDFB-3E19EEA80DA9.jpeg16ED0E85-E7A5-4FCF-AACA-C01AA355AAB3.jpegEE72313F-4530-4EF1-9797-85601B1E04E4.jpegD2685581-596E-4A89-ABD3-1B275128FFD4.jpegABF78D2F-B0CF-449A-BDFB-3E19EEA80DA9.jpegEE72313F-4530-4EF1-9797-85601B1E04E4.jpeg

That set up works in mine but I’m not sure if those photos will be clear enough to copy it. The translucent tube just travels into and out of the chamber. Has nothing to do with the carby. I think they call it a fuel vent line and it has a weird little bit of threaded metal in it. I think it’s meant to act as valve but mine seems to have fuel moving in both directions.
The clear tubing with the small headless screws inside is your vent tube for the gas tank. As your carb sucks gas from the gas tank, air goes into the tank via the gap between the threads of the screw and the inner tubing wall.

Back