cannot start Stihl 009

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, re: spraying into the carb. I put in two pumps, could I have done more? Watched a few "home garage" videos, then one woman who had ideas on starting saws, she had some practical ideas. One was to give the starter cord one or two small, light, short pulls before you give it the big pull.

Give it a couple shots then a few pulls, if it don't pop repeat. I may pop/run a bit then stall. Need to repeat until carb gets primed and it runs.

We recommend a couple squirts just so you don`t flood the engine, if two does not do then three would not be too many, as we do not know how much compression the engine is making then it is difficult to guess just how much fuel it can take. How old is the sparkplug? If its been in the engine since new then it could stand to be changed out for a new one. The amount of wear on an old saw will contribute to its starting performance.

Another big problem I see more and more often is starting technique, the pull cord really needs to be pulled out quickly or as some say smartly. I have many friends and customers that are getting up in years that cannot pull the cord out smartly enough to turn the flywheel over rapidly , this results in poor spark. These saws need a rapid pull start to generate enough electric current that the coil enhances to give the sparkplug high enough voltage to jump the gap of the plug, thus igniting the fuel air mix.

"pull cord really needs to be pulled out quickly or as some say smartly" Yes, that could be some of the problem here. I know I am pulling the cord o.k. but not as well as could be.

"pull cord really needs to be pulled out quickly or as some say smartly" Yes, that could be some of the problem here. I know I am pulling the cord o.k. but not as well as could be.

I have noticed this more and more with my clients and friends so it not just you. I have been maintaining saws for some 35years and for many they needed to find smaller and easier starting saws, not that all small saws are easier to pull over but these people have run 70 -100 cc saws most of their life but the saws became too unwieldy for them. For me, I was drop starting 33+lb chainsaws from the time I started out running them, around 13 years old and I still use the drop start method, it spins the flywheel about as fast as can be done manually. When a hard starting saw comes in I can often just drop start it in a couple pulls over, then I ask the owner to show me how they are pulling it over and there is times it almost makes me tear up, its terrible how aging affects physical abilities.

The sprayer stopped functioning, so. I poured a small amount of fuel fixture into the carburetor, put the cover in place, the saw started in two pulls, then quickly died, I put more fuel mixture in, started on 2 pulls then ran roughly for 4 minutes or so. I kept feathering the trigger to keep the saw running, after the 4 minutes I did notice the saw ran smoother at an idle but I kept asking for more. I kept it going for at least 5 minutes all together, so that is something positive. Just curious, any recommendations for a replacement for this little gem if I cannot keep it starting/running consistently? I have a battery Greenworks 40v, just doesn't have enough oomph for me. The Stihl 009 size/power/weight is perfect.

I think your carb needs to be rebuilt correctly, since it already has a new fuel line and tank filter that sort of rules out any damage to them as in cracks in the line or plugged filter but even that depends on whether the new parts were OEM or aftermarket.

I would second on rebuilding the carb or at least changing the diaphragms out for a new ones. Did you try tuning the carb at all to keep it running?

The sprayer stopped functioning, so. I poured a small amount of fuel fixture into the carburetor, put the cover in place, the saw started in two pulls, then quickly died, I put more fuel mixture in, started on 2 pulls then ran roughly for 4 minutes or so. I kept feathering the trigger to keep the saw running, after the 4 minutes I did notice the saw ran smoother at an idle but I kept asking for more. I kept it going for at least 5 minutes all together, so that is something positive. Just curious, any recommendations for a replacement for this little gem if I cannot keep it starting/running consistently? I have a battery Greenworks 40v, just doesn't have enough oomph for me. The Stihl 009 size/power/weight is perfect.
Starting issues can definitely result from old gas that was left in the saw from the last time that it ran.

While it may be a little more work the best thing to do is to dump the tank and run the saw on part throttle until the motor stops and the carb is dry once you are done using it for a while. I have stored multiple saws for YEARS and they always start right up with fresh gas.

Next time that you need to run the saw start with fresh (from the pump) gas. Although you will have to prime the fuel system it should only take 3-5 pulls and you will be off and cutting.

BTW, old pre-mix can be dumped in your car. It won't notice the small amount of oil.

Sprayed two times into the carb opening with trigger locked "on". tried starting 10 pulls, no luck. Took out sparkplug, did one spray in the opening, put sparkplug back in, on second pull the saw started, then immediately died and will not start again. I will let it sit until this afternoon and try again.
That tells me you have something wrong with the carburetor or the attached hoses and filters. Impulse hose may be blocked or broken, fuel line bad or the carb needs rebuilt. Gasket under the carb also. As mentioned, might have bad fuel in it.

Could be fuel. As one never knows when use of the chainsaw is needed, the mixture in it currently is not fresh.
"Next time that you need to run the saw start with fresh (from the pump) gas". I mix two gallons of non-ethanol gas with a container of Stihl oil. This is used for the weedeater mainly. This gets used and replenished as needed in the summer and fall. Try to use it all up by the middle of autumn. Yes, I suppose I can mix a fresh batch, weedeating season will be upon us soon anyway. What do you consider the length of time for a fuel/mixture to be old? Sitting in the saw that is hard to start for one year: more-than-likely? Sitting in its container for 4 months waiting to be used: still o.k.?

" the low speed needle", Thanks Kash. Tho those words are not in my vocalulary.

Could be fuel. As one never knows when use of the chainsaw is needed, the mixture in it currently is not fresh.
"Next time that you need to run the saw start with fresh (from the pump) gas". I mix two gallons of non-ethanol gas with a container of Stihl oil. This is used for the weedeater mainly. This gets used and replenished as needed in the summer and fall. Try to use it all up by the middle of autumn. Yes, I suppose I can mix a fresh batch, weedeating season will be upon us soon anyway. What do you consider the length of time for a fuel/mixture to be old? Sitting in the saw that is hard to start for one year: more-than-likely? Sitting in its container for 4 months waiting to be used: still o.k.?

" the low speed needle", Thanks Kash. Tho those words are not in my vocalulary.
Are there any real engine repair shops in your area? I know of some Tennessee guys that know chainsaws really well.

Update: siphoned out the old fuel, put in just a bit of the fuel mixture from last fall. Saw started right up, with no need to put any fuel into the carburetor. Runs well at idle . May have to look into adjusting the "low speed needle" as Kash suggested. Can that be done with the saw running? followup- I cannot find the low speed screw. Looked in my owners manual and online manuals, no pictures/diagrams match my 009. Since this not a biggie, I can drop it by the shop next time I am in the area.

Update: siphoned out the old fuel, put in just a bit of the fuel mixture from last fall. Saw started right up, with no need to put any into the carburetor. Runs well at idle . May have to look into adjusting the "low speed needle" as Kash suggested.
Your saw has been started recently? If it sits long periods the fuel evaporates and the carb is left empty, the fuel in the supply line may drain back into the tank, that is why most times it is more difficult to get fuel back up the line and fill the carb after a saw has been sitting unused for long periods of time.

Update: siphoned out the old fuel, put in just a bit of the fuel mixture from last fall. Saw started right up, with no need to put any fuel into the carburetor. Runs well at idle . May have to look into adjusting the "low speed needle" as Kash suggested. Can that be done with the saw running? followup- I cannot find the low speed screw. Looked in my owners manual and online manuals, no pictures/diagrams match my 009. Since this not a biggie, I can drop it by the shop next time I am in the area.
I repair and maintain most of the power equipment for a local trail club. I put together the attached handout for self preservation! While everyone may not agree with everything in it it has done a good job of solving our fuel related issues.

Another option depending on how much you use your saws is to use alkylate fuel (i.e. Moto-Mix, Tru-fuel, etc. ). It is NOT gasoline is very stable and has a very long shelf life. Perfect for occasional use or off season storage.

Also, as others have said, your saws are old enough to vote and then some so it may be beneficial to put a new diaphragm kit in the carbs.

Attachments

• Care and Feeding OPE.pdf
    18.8 KB · Views: 1
Very interesting attachment. My fuel is made up for the weedeater, which gets used steadily all summer and into autumn. 2 gallons of non-ethanol is mixed with Stihl oil and stored in a plastic container in an enclosed room with the weedeaters. Same mixture is used for the 2 chainsaws. I never know when I will need the saws(I always take two when I need them, in case one gets stuck, it always seems to be downed trees/branches that I am cutting) so there is no off-season for the chainsaw. Use is occasional, so we had always kept the tanks of the chainsaw full so it would be ready to use. I see now that I may need separate fuel for the chainsaw and fill the tank as needed. Will consider the alkylate fuel.
Thanks so much for the attachment.

Latest posts

Back