Help me with chain questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p38lightning

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am getting ready to finish up an old C-5 homelite. I have went all the way through it and I also have a C-51 that for some weird reason I have this obssesion with. I also have an 1100 Pioneer Holiday that belong to my Grandfather, it was the first saw I ever used. None of my newer saws have 404 chain, all the above do. In my area of East Tennessee, they look at you funny when you ask for 404, most don't know what it is or haven't seen it in years. I have put alot of work into the C-5 and I would like to make it saw very aggressive. Should I go away from 404 or stay with it? I know 2 stroke engines and I'm pretty good with a saw, just don't know much about chains. The C-5 is about ready for the sand blaster then reassembly, I have all the parts. Even though it really doesn't need it, I'm going to do the C-51 next, and I almost have the parts for it. (Don't ask me why I just love the thing!) I just don't want my lack of chain knowledge to hinder the performance, I've gotta lot of time in the C-5 alone. Any help woulde be appreciated.
Thanks, P38lightning

P38- Welcome to the board.

.404 chain is still in use and available, though you don't see it as much anymore as in days past, as 3/8ths is now king. Stihl still makes it, as does Oregon. Bailey's and Madsen's both have it in their catalogs, and that's just at a glance. Ask you dealer to look harder, or give Bailey's a call. They can set you up with whatever you need. I say stick with the .404 on the cool old saws.

And have you noticed that you omitted the "t" in your name? You're "p38lighning," on your header, you signed your post as "P38lightning," and as there is no such plane as a "lighning" so I assume you meant to have a "t" in there. You might get ahold of Darin, and see what he can do to change that for you, if you did in fact accidently omit it. If not, nevermind, my assumption.

Again, welcome.

Jeff

fishhuntcutwood said:
P38- Welcome to the board.

.404 chain is still in use and available, though you don't see it as much anymore as in days past, as 3/8ths is now king. Stihl still makes it, as does Oregon. Bailey's and Madsen's both have it in their catalogs, and that's just at a glance. Ask you dealer to look harder, or give Bailey's a call. They can set you up with whatever you need. I say stick with the .404 on the cool old saws.

And have you noticed that you omitted the "t" in your name? You're "p38lighning," on your header, you signed your post as "P38lightning," and as there is no such plane as a "lighning" so I assume you meant to have a "t" in there. You might get ahold of Darin, and see what he can do to change that for you, if you did in fact accidently omit it. If not, nevermind, my assumption.

Again, welcome.

Jeff

Yes I did make the mistake but didn't know who to contact. I felt like a dummy and yes it is the plane. i just think they are so unique. Thank you for your response, I may just stay with the 404.
p38

Back