HELP! My wood pile has fallen and it can't get up...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

float89

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
See Photo below please. 10 rows of firewood. less than ideal gap (I cant fit between rows). X's are end towers (3x3 pcs). Rows are about 5 1/2 ft tall. I also cannot get between wood and pole barn.

This past weekend I finished the stacking and wanted to cover this pile for winter. I got on top of the pile to drag the tarp over it. Well when I stepped on the row with the scribble, the tower fell against the bole barn.. :\

I was so meticulous with getting row heights the same/even because it makes the the snow and tarp removal easier as the year goes on.

Well aside from the row leaning on the pile I have a void indicated in red that is a low spot. This of course has collected a few inched of rain just last night...

I need suggestions??

- Leave it as is and just be what it is (pole barn seems to be ok as the tower is pretty flush to the wall)
- Do something to the top to gap the row with boards?
- Use two tarps and use the affected row first and then have middle access later in the winter?
- Something else?

Each row is roughly a full cord. thinking one row may get through most of November if temps hold mild.

Next yr a lean-to is in order for sure...

Wood Pile.jpg

If no damage to your pole barn, i would just leave it. Iv had the odd row tip over before and i just drag the tarp over and forget it.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

I would just leave the wood as I think it would be too much work to correct. We don’t tarp or cover wood. It just traps moisture. In the future, keep the stacks further from the side of your building to avoid mold or damage to siding. In addition, slope the ends of your stacks so they push in against main stack. If you can’t find the right piece of wood to start the slope, use a shim (sliver of wood from splitting or wood shingle) underneath your first piece on the end to start the slope. Like building a dry stone wall, after a few hundred cords, you get really good at stacking wood.

Thanks guys yeah I will probably leave it them. I thought it was nice and sturdy as all the others because I do take a nice thin split to lean them in but when i looked down from the top it appears that one outside piece rolled/spit out and it couldn't handle that..

Centaur - do you get lasting winter snow out there? We average over 100" of snow and it doesn't melt until end of April here in Michigan. I cant imagine not covering the wood. Rain I would agree but hence the tarp this past weekend.

No. I am out on the coast. We get a lot of snow but the typical pattern is Northeaster, warmup, melt, repeat. It is a very unusual winter that first or second storm snow will stick around all winter. Humidity is a big factor here and I have found that if you cover things here, the tarps just trap moisture and things mold up.

Back