Help ! Need Stihl 084 crank bearing, dealer says NA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The PTO side crank bearing has a step machined on the outer race.

attachment.php

The PTO side seal ......there were 2 types of seal / one had no lip
attachment.php

.......fits inside the bearing, not the bearing housing.
attachment.php

Next question is, what is different about the new 088 bearing that Grande Dog mentioned ?

Did the revised 088's still use a snap ring to keep the bearing from walking out ? Did the revised 088's use the same seal, and did the seal still fit inside the bearing ?
Yes .Same seal and snap ring

Check on the newer bearing .......4386
1/ is the depth on the outer recess the same as your old bearing.Suspect it may be deeper on the 084 ....... 4385 ( Baileys has in stock)
2/ also check the width of the inner shell
Cases and bearings were beafed up in the 088 and 880 .
Due to flogged 084 cases !

Last edited:

1/ is the depth on the outer recess the same as your old bearing.Suspect it may be deeper on the 084 ....... 4385 ( Baileys has in stock)
Super3 is telling me that the 4386 bearing is dimensionally identical, and that the 084 seal fits. He hasn't actually assembled it yet, though.

Baileys says 2 -3 weeks on the 4385, which I take to mean it would have to be ordered from Stihl -- and several sources say it is no longer available from Stihl.

Grande Dog said the 4385 was showing as available, but he didn't state which version of Media Cat he is using. It's just in the past few months that some of these 084 parts have gone NLA. Several other people, including my dealer, say that 4385 is NLA.

Without Lakeside here to set us straight, we'll just have to muddle through this the hard way. :laugh: Andy sure is missed. :cry:

When a 4386 is actually in my hands, I'll post pics and dimensions, if Super3 doesn't beat me to it. :)

Super3 is telling me that the 4386 bearing is dimensionally identical, and that the 084 seal fits. He hasn't actually assembled it yet, though.

Baileys says 2 -3 weeks on the 4385, which I take to mean it would have to be ordered from Stihl -- and several sources say it is no longer available from Stihl.

Grande Dog said the 4385 was showing as available, but he didn't state which version of Media Cat he is using. It's just in the past few months that some of these 084 parts have gone NLA. Several other people, including my dealer, say that 4385 is NLA.

Without Lakeside here to set us straight, we'll just have to muddle through this the hard way. :laugh: Andy sure is missed. :cry:

When a 4386 is actually in my hands, I'll post pics and dimensions, if Super3 doesn't beat me to it. :)

' Stihl AU - 4385 N/A also.
Stihl tech support AU tell me the bearing is different but can't at this stage
tell me what it is.

i do know i fitted the wrong one a few years back and it seemed to wide iin
case by just under a mill.Could have been me but i did check it with Stihl
service and they agreed it was the wrong one.
Tech ( today)thinks 4386 beefed up....those areas I mentioned to check.......they are not part of the 20x47x15 specs !
Agree -Andy would have it sorted :)
Hope Super 3 can check them for you.......would be good to know for future ref.

Stihl AU - 4385 N/A also.
Thanks for the info, Gumnuts. I'll try to rep you for that.

i do know i fitted the wrong one a few years back and it seemed to wide in case by just under a mill.
That's worrisome, but all we can do is wait for the 4386 to show up and measure it very carefully. There is no other alternative at this point, unless someone steps forward with a NOS 4385.

We all hope it does the job.
If not and you get sick of trying to locate bearing .Give a thought to grinding down ,inside face on glass with a cutting compound / fine grit paper.Sealing up the bearing first to protect.
My incorrect ,new, bearing had been seated properly and tapped>protrusion into the case was still 1.3-4 mm, when tightened down.
Correct #....5 bearing was then fitted.Good.
Maybe it was something else and your #........6 is good.
Stihl techs AU/Vic said they were going to look into further.Get back to you then.

Greg / Baileys - did give link #5 not 6.

9523 003 4386 will work !

The 088 bearing, 9523 003 4386 showed up. Just as Super3 said, it's dimensionally the same as the NLA 084 bearing.

Same on this side.
attachment.php

Same.
attachment.php

4386 is an open bearing, 4385 had a shield on the crankcase side. That's the only difference.
attachment.php

084 owners can breathe a sigh of relief.

that is good to know i was hoping it would work for you. i picked one up a month agao it is on the bench noe jest need to order new gasckets forked out for a oem pistion so i was glad the berrings felt smooth

Glad you got it sorted and clarified.
The one i had probs with, came in new crank case.
I do know she was seated snug to the snap ring.Was too wide .Yours looks
good.
One Stihl mech recently said there were variations in country of origan ......really don't know who to believe until i get eyeball clarity - you give.

Thankyou....to early to rep you again

Question comes to mind - Which countries made the 84

Last edited:
Yes .Same seal and snap ring

Cases and bearings were beafed up in the 088 and 880 .
Due to flogged 084 cases !

Hey gum nuts your PM is full!!
Hey gumnuts.I see your still in the game!How did you go with the Kohler engines import.With our strong $$$$our local dealer is still charging $22 for the Super Teeth.Im looking now at buying direct from the USA.
Eamonn

Hey gum nuts your PM is full!!
Hey gumnuts.I see your still in the game!How did you go with the Kohler engines import.With our strong $$$$our local dealer is still charging $22 for the Super Teeth.Im looking now at buying direct from the USA.
Eamonn

hey mate your better off sending him a visitor message

Last edited:
Good thread.
Is the 084 still going strong with the 088 PTO bearing?
The -4385 was last available from the factory in 2010. According to Stihl the -4385 and -4386 are not interchangable. This is part of a tech note from the 088 (dated 2002);

attachment.php

I believe no 084 had the steel ring either so the above would likely apply.

The 084 is down for a problem with the flywheel side seal. I could sure use it right now.

But the 9523 003 4386 bearing works fine.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the 4386 and 4385. Tolerances ?

The 084 is down for a problem with the flywheel side seal. I could sure use it right now.

But the 9523 003 4386 bearing works fine.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the 4386 and 4385. Tolerances ?

That's good to know. The tech note says is the 4386 has "modified play" which would mean different tolerances. I guess it would be due to the different thermal expansion of the steel ring vs the original mag.

I believe it may have been the 9523 003 4380 that was shielded, which stopped being used in 1991.

Last edited:
Back