Help on a bid...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I need some help on a bid for a very full Weeping Willow tree. It is betweeen 90'-100' tall. The owner wants dead wood removed and the middle leader to be drop crotched at the top. Hazards are clear.Obsticals are a house and a fence on each side of the tree. Most of the dead wood is cut and through. The only thig I'll have to lower is the top. All I'm there for is to climb and cut. The owner will take care of clean up. I gave a bid of$450-$500. This is in North Carolina(Mountains). Does this sound alright or will I get burned??

If you are not hauling anything, then you are basically just working as a freelance climber. How long will this tree take you? What are the average rates for freelance climbers in your area? If the tree is a 1/2 day job, I think you may be high. Unless climbers make $1000 per day in NC! If they do, I gotta move there!

If it would take a half day AND you were hauling, I could see something in the $400-$500 range.

How many Hrs will it take you? whats your Hourly rate? Are you fulltime or Partime? Can you afford to be burned?:blob2: Does your grocery money depend upon Timely Completion?
Just thoughts to consider.:blob2:

Why crown reduce the central leader? Unless there is an awfully good reason, the tree wil be better off thinned and crown cleaned; and easier to climb next time with an intact center.

Weepers here in the PNW grow quite well and heavy. They do often need cc'ing, and 15-25% thinning to lighten up heavy laterals, to reduce limb weight, and thus less loading in storms, etc.

I find they can be fun to climb, sometimes easy, sometimes harder due to their free form which has many variations. But always harder if topping or reduction is in the tree's history.

RBTree,
It HAS to have the crown reduced! The homeowner INSISTS that it is TOO TALL! And we ALL know that homeowners are MUCH more knowledgable about hazard trees than us lowly tree climbers! "IT'S GONNA FALL ON MY HOUSE!!"
(sarcasm -OFF)

Sorry, but I had to do a 'crown reduction' on a Sycamore today. No getting out of it. Totally destroyed it's natural shape. But I like getting a paycheck on Fridays, gotten rather hooked on this 'eating' thing.... :(

even when i top i leave crotchs. for tieing in and lowering. i try to plan it out in case i have to take it down at a later date.

as for pricing it all depends on time. how long will it take? can you make more money else where? how easy is the job? is the top going to hang up on the lower limbs and break them? then you'll have a pissed of customer trying to hold back money.

If the diameter of the cut is over 3 inches I will do everything I can to talk my way out of a drop crotch. Usualy telling them how fast the sprouts will grow and what rot will do will work.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back